Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a coolermaster V8 a couple weeks ago and my system was runing unstable after much ado trying to get my system stable... i.e. reseating and other things I never succeeded. Instead i put the stock cooler back on and viola it ran stable.

That was about a weekish ago. Now just for the heck of it i ran prime95 no O.C. or anything and im back to square one. I also took back the V8 cooler. Maybe its the way im applying the thermal paste not exactly sure. AC5 im using a bag to spread it out and applying it smoothly over the surface of my cpu. I only used maybe two grains of uncooked rice worth but im beginning to believe this meathod is not working.

Specs... are below minus the V8 cooler. Any help would be appreciated ty in advance.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Yeah, don't spread the TIM, let it spread itself under the pressure of the heatsink, I did what you did before and got terrible temps.

Also are you sure you properly mounted the V8?

·
Registered
243 Posts
perhaps even rotate the cooler mounting clockwise around the cpu a several times until you get the best fit & low temps (as CPU pin radius usually fits any direction atop the mobo)

id even newegg some OCZ Freeze and try

best o luck man !!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sry duplicate post... :/ im a tard... lol

I think im applying too much Thermal paste. I pushed down on the CPU fan heatsink twisted it a bit and now its going much further in the tests but still failed. :/

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea ran 5 minutes vs 0 min. No BSOD or anything and according to AMD's overdrive tool im getting around 30 ish deg C stable at idle.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
30C is great temps for the CPU that you have. What are your ambients (room temps).

·
Registered
826 Posts
As mentioned, TIM should be about a grain of rice sized. The pressure will spread it into the gaps as needed, remember, less is more. Also, make sure that you have the speed control set to high and have the fan pointing to the exit. HTH, my v8 runs quite well...

EDIT: And 30c is pretty good!!!

fishman78

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea thats the stock cooler the V8 was even cooler. I was running the 64 bit version of prime95 wondering if that was the issue. Im now running the 32 bit version and no hickup yet. Wondering if theres an issue with it.

I put a dab in the center like u guys said about the size of a 3/4ths bb like AS5'ves website said let the heatsink spread it out. Im getting 30-32 C now stable idle. Which is decent for the stock cooler. When I was running the V8 the temp was around 24ish Celcius.

In otherwords im failing the 64bit Prime but not the 32 bit prime. Maybe theres an issue with theyre software.

IDK...

lol in other thoughts ive probably abused this processor too much already surprized its still going ive had temps on this thing above 60 deg C and just a bit ago for five seconds when i booted i forgot the plug in the fan to the CPU!!!!! only 5 seconds though I was like why's it so quiet... OH ****!!!!! and smacked that power button plugged the fan back in and hit the bios. :/

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMDMAXX
View Post

lol in other thoughts ive probably abused this processor too much already surprized its still going ive had temps on this thing above 60 deg C and just a bit ago for five seconds when i booted i forgot the plug in the fan to the CPU!!!!! only 5 seconds though I was like why's it so quiet... OH ****!!!!! and smacked that power button plugged the fan back in and hit the bios. :/

Don't worry about that, it won't cause harm unless you stress test, otherwise I'm sure you can run passive for a few minutes without everything heating up too much. It would have been bad if you didn't notice once you started stress testing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea ill be running the 32 bit here for a good few hrs to find out if im truely "stable" I'll let u guys know whats up. I also mildly overclocked it as well. Running the Ram at 1066 and running the CPU at 2.7 ghz without a v core adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts