Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just installed a video card and i noticed it was running a little hot... a couple seconds later heard a POP and i smelled burnt stuff. I think its inside the power box. the card was ok. Is ther anyway i can reset this? flip the breaker or something inside it?

Anyway i dont know how this happened nothing was overclocked or anything. im worried as all hell. pls some suggestions.

i replaced the previous vid card now nothing powers up at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
omg, how can i check and make sure? it smells burnt but is that it?

and how did plugging a new grafics card into it blow it up?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
There is no might...you're powersupply was craptastic and it blew becasue of the extra strain. That's what people get for using generic PSUs.

My sincerest condolences by the way....

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Ouch. Is there an extra rig in your home that you can test parts on? (It seems so... obviously)

Take out all the parts and test each out to make sure the PSU didn't take any of its friends with it.

I'm sorry that it happened.

And yeah... the above two people are right. That card is mid & high-end compoment. A generic won't be able to handle it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

And yeah... the above two people are right. That card is mid & high-end compoment. A generic won't be able to handle it.

Holy crap,i was right for once?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thanks a ton all, i hope nothing else went with it.
guess i gotta run by the nearest computer place and get another case with a power supply

man that sucks, there should be a warning or somethen. lol

take care time for bed

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I would advise against a PSU that comes with a case, other than Antec or Coolermaster. They tend to be, well, craptastic.

Sorry it happened man, nothing worse than nothing powering on at all... I had a similar experience about a week ago.(only it was my motherboard... and CPU... and RAM.
)

·
Registered
867 Posts
These things happen all the time, but unfortunately it does sound like your PSU died.

Here are some tips so this doesn't happen again:

1. Choose a reliable brand of power supplies. Antec TruePower, Fortron, OCZ, and Thermaltake are many good names of reliable power supplies. Avoid brands with "max" or "power" in their names like PowMax, or MaxPower, or Everpower because they generally suck.
2. Check up on some information about your card before you buy it, especially about power consumption. Many reviews will recommend you just how many watts you need without going too technical.
3. http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ - This will calculate just how much power your computer uses.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
yeah ur psu u blew up, if u were looking at the back of ur pc when u it happened u woulda saw one hell of a display lol, this big ball of blue electricity jus pops out.
it happened to me once when my idiot dad changed the power from 250 to 135 on the powersupply thing, i turned it on and bang lol.

just replace ur powersupply shouldnt be too expensive mine cost £9 lol xD
good luck have fun,

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Don't pick up no cheapo PSU that comes with a dang ol' case. Choose from the list of brands in Gearbox's post, and do try to spend $80+ on a realiable PSU from a good brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts