Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am new to this forum and to overclocking. I recently started a new custom build with:

i7 4770k CPU
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
32 GB Dominator Platinum Memory
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Corsair H100i Water Cooler
Corsair 650D Case
Samung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
2x WD Black 1 TB in RAID 1 Config

I decided that I was going to do a delid on the processor given that I wanted this to be the ultimate overclocking machine. I used a razor blade to break through the corners of the IHS and then used the vice method to finish removing the IHS from the rest of the Processor. This worked well although I did scratch the PCB of the CPU but the scratches were minor, or so I thought. I then used CLU on the processor cores being careful not to get any CLU on the capacitors that are new to the haswell design. Because I was worried about possible short circuits between the IHS and the exposed traces from the scratches on the die I applied a very thin layer of RVT Silcone to the IHS when reinstalling the IHS onto the CPU. I reinstalled the delidded CPU into the motherboard and also used the CLU as the thermal paste between the CPU and the H100i heatsink.

Unfortunately, the computer will not post to the BIOS. When I turned the power on for the first time I made sure that I was watching the components to see if there were any sparks or another visible signs that the CPU had shorted. Everything looked completed fine and normal however I cannot get the computer to post. Furthermore, the OC Panel which came with the Asus Maximus does not show any processor info, i.e. the multiplier is 0 and the BLCK is also 0 but is working given that it shows the CPU temp and the RPM of the fans on the h100i.

The motherboard is showing a Q-Code of 55 which according to the manual indicates that there is no memory installed which is strange given that the memory is uninstalled.

Clearly, something is wrong and need the expertise of those here on this forum. My first question is how do I determine if the CPU is the problem? Then if the CPU is the problem, how do I determine if I damaged the motherboard or the RAM I had installed? If the CPU is toast, then the motherboard would not recognize the installed memory given that the CPU has the memory controller, correct?

Any advice you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymike View Post

Hey everyone,
I am new to this forum and to overclocking. I recently started a new custom build with:

i7 4770k CPU
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
32 GB Dominator Platinum Memory
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Corsair H100i Water Cooler
Corsair 650D Case
Samung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
2x WD Black 1 TB in RAID 1 Config

I decided that I was going to do a delid on the processor given that I wanted this to be the ultimate overclocking machine. I used a razor blade to break through the corners of the IHS and then used the vice method to finish removing the IHS from the rest of the Processor. This worked well although I did scratch the PCB of the CPU but the scratches were minor, or so I thought. I then used CLU on the processor cores being careful not to get any CLU on the capacitors that are new to the haswell design. Because I was worried about possible short circuits between the IHS and the exposed traces from the scratches on the die I applied a very thin layer of RVT Silcone to the IHS when reinstalling the IHS onto the CPU. I reinstalled the delidded CPU into the motherboard and also used the CLU as the thermal paste between the CPU and the H100i heatsink.

Unfortunately, the computer will not post to the BIOS. When I turned the power on for the first time I made sure that I was watching the components to see if there were any sparks or another visible signs that the CPU had shorted. Everything looked completed fine and normal however I cannot get the computer to post. Furthermore, the OC Panel which came with the Asus Maximus does not show any processor info, i.e. the multiplier is 0 and the BLCK is also 0 but is working given that it shows the CPU temp and the RPM of the fans on the h100i.

The motherboard is showing a Q-Code of 55 which according to the manual indicates that there is no memory installed which is strange given that the memory is uninstalled.

Clearly, something is wrong and need the expertise of those here on this forum. My first question is how do I determine if the CPU is the problem? Then if the CPU is the problem, how do I determine if I damaged the motherboard or the RAM I had installed? If the CPU is toast, then the motherboard would not recognize the installed memory given that the CPU has the memory controller, correct?

Any advice you guys could offer would be much appreciated.
Ah crap.. I think you blew your CPU my friend :\

I don't think the motherboard is the problem, otherwise the PC wouldn't even turn on.

I have an idea which might work, but I don't know.

Do you have Intel's CPU insurance? It's usually in case you mess your CPU up by overclocking only, not delidding. But if you manage to put the CPU back together so they can't really notice, go buy the insurance and then say that you fried it by running stress tests.

Insurance is only 25$ dollars...

That's the only idea I can give you.. hope that helps.

-Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Anyways, if the CPU is busted I will just go out and get another one from Micro Center. I have the money to buy another one so I won't even bother with warranty. What I am most concerned about is whther or not I screwed anything else up like the motherboard ($399) or the memory ($350). To be honest I will be happy if it is only the CPU.

I know that this sounds crazy but if I do get another processor I am going to try the delid again. Any ideas one what I might have done to screw the original CPU up?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The scratch on the cpu pcb may have dug into the memory controller traces, hence why it doesn't detect ram.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What's your reasoning behind Delidding?

I mean, if you've just wrecked a top end CPU trying it, if there's no valid reason, why try it again?

I'm not being a douche I'm just curious as to your reasons for Delidding.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Instead of using the razor method, you should use the hammer and vice method - Yes, the combination sounds completely bonkers but it is THE easiest way to do it, with minimal risk.

I de-lidded 30ish Ivy and 3 Haswell and only use the Hammer and Vice method now - Just gentle tapping and it comes apart so easy that you WILL go "Wow .. That was really it?".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post

The scratch on the cpu pcb may have dug into the memory controller traces, hence why it doesn't detect ram.
And obviously it wouldn't post if it didn't detect any memory right?

The Asus Maximus has a mem ok function and according to that diagnostic check the memory on my board is fine. Can this be trusted if the CPU is toast? I am super concerned that I screwed up that beautiful Dominator platinum memory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomi View Post

Instead of using the razor method, you should use the hammer and vice method - Yes, the combination sounds completely bonkers but it is THE easiest way to do it, with minimal risk.

I de-lidded 30ish Ivy and 3 Haswell and only use the Hammer and Vice method now - Just gentle tapping and it comes apart so easy that you WILL go "Wow .. That was really it?".
I have two different vices at home (one which is really nice) and I could not get the vice to hold the cpu with enough force to use the vice method exclusively. I agree with you that this is the best method but I could not make it work.

Any suggestions for round two?

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Did you test the components together 1st before taking the top off?
A quick 5 minutes of time to alleviate $1000 worth of frustrations and what ifs.
Check 1st, mod and hack your way to success after
redface.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlouis199 View Post

What's your reasoning behind Delidding?

I mean, if you've just wrecked a top end CPU trying it, if there's no valid reason, why try it again?

I'm not being a douche I'm just curious as to your reasons for Delidding.
rolleyes.gif
This is what I do. For me I have just as much fun taking apart my computer and modifying its components as I do using it.

And there is a valid reason for delidding. The temps I was originally getting with the H100i where pretty awful. I believe based on what I have seen that to get the maximum amount of performance out of a Haswell CPU you have to replace the crappy Intel thermal paste with TIM.

I know that going with a custom cooling solution would be better than the H100i but right now I am not interested in a custom rig.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcherea View Post

Did you test the components together 1st before taking the top off?
A quick 5 minutes of time to alleviate $1000 worth of frustrations and what ifs.
Check 1st, mod and hack your way to success after
redface.gif
Yes, everything was working fine before the delid. I have a buddy who works at Micro Center and he confirmed that I can return the new CPU if I determine that the CPU is not the problem. I think that what I am going to do is get another so that I can verify that the CPU is the problem and if not, I will just return it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymike View Post

I have two different vices at home (one which is really nice) and I could not get the vice to hold the cpu with enough force to use the vice method exclusively. I agree with you that this is the best method but I could not make it work.

Any suggestions for round two?
Buy a cheap one from Home Depot or even Amazon. If you can spend $300 on a CPU TWICE, then surely another $30 won't hurt
wink.gif
It's strange that your vice won't 'compress' down small enough for the CPU.. Is it meant for bigger object? Anyways, I would recommend the hammer and vice method, however the 'vice and phaseblaster ©' method does sound slightly more efficient. Seriously though, the hammer and vice method is the best IMO. Safe, efficient and quick.

Here's a nice vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg9ybeB4DDw

Notice how perfect his vice was for the job.

EDIT: Found this in the comment section
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyMorphist View Post

Buy a cheap one from Home Depot or even Amazon. If you can spend $300 on a CPU TWICE, then surely another $30 won't hurt
wink.gif
It's strange that your vice won't 'compress' down small enough for the CPU.. Is it meant for bigger object? Anyways, I would recommend the hammer and vice method, however the 'vice and phaseblaster ©' method does sound slightly more efficient. Seriously though, the hammer and vice method is the best IMO. Safe, efficient and quick.

Here's a nice vid:

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. The nice vice I have is realy meant for bigger objects but the other one I have is just a simple small vice. The problem was that the vice could not generate enough clamping pressure on the IHS. Every time I tried to hit it with the hammer it would pop out of the vice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyMorphist View Post

wink.gif

Here's a nice vid:

biggrin.gif

By the way, what exactly is the vice and phaseblaster method? I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiDx View Post

since you dont want to pay $25 and deal with the warranty, can I pay the $25 and deal with it LOL
You are not going to be able to warranty it. I use CLU as the thermal paste between the CPU and the H100i so I had to lap the top of the cpu which removed the printing on the IHS. Plus the PCB is scratched. If the CPU is toast I will be more than happy to give you the CPU but I would be shocked if it worked.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

Do you have Intel's CPU insurance? It's usually in case you mess your CPU up by overclocking only, not delidding. But if you manage to put the CPU back together so they can't really notice, go buy the insurance and then say that you fried it by running stress tests.
What you are suggesting to the OP is not only immoral, it's illegal and constitutes fraud. I wouldn't do that. Taking a razor blade to your CPU means you assume the risks when you damage it. Go buy another one, and turn the first one into a $300 keychain.

Greg

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

What you are suggesting to the OP is not only immoral, it's illegal and constitutes fraud. I wouldn't do that. Taking a razor blade to your CPU means you assume the risks when you damage it. Go buy another one, and turn the first one into a $300 keychain.

Greg
He asked for "advice" and I suggested something that might get him a replacement. I don't encourage it - and in the end he is free to act as he chooses.

If that constitutes "immoral" for you... LOL. And what about the children that are exploited daily in Congo, to mine Coltan for Intel's chips? That's not "immoral"?

Nice double standards you've got there
wink.gif

-Rich

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:

Ah crap.. I think you blew your CPU my friend :\

I don't think the motherboard is the problem, otherwise the PC wouldn't even turn on.

I have an idea which might work, but I don't know.

Insurance is only 25$ dollars...

That's the only idea I can give you.. hope that helps.

-Rich
that is fraud and discussing such thing is against TOS

@TS pictures of the cpu would be useful since you might have just hit a little transistor.

·
Iconoclast
30,667 Posts
Quote:

He asked for "advice" and I suggested something that might get him a replacement. I don't encourage it - and in the end he is free to act as he chooses.

If that constitutes "immoral" for you... LOL. And what about the children that are exploited daily in Congo, to mine Coltan for Intel's chips? That's not "immoral"?

Nice double standards you've got there
wink.gif

-Rich
One's moral assessment of defrauding Intel is irrelevant, but Hammong has a point about fraud. What you describe is fraud, fraud is a crime in most places, and suggesting how one may go about perpetrating it is against OCNs terms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts