Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a FX-55 at 2.6ghz
with A8N SLI Deluxe and 2g Corsair Value Ram.

I want to upgrade to dual-core around 2.5ghz.

What processor should I get and can I overclock it with the RAM I have?

Of course an fx60 or 4800 could but how about a 4400?
I don't want to spend $800.

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
First you post in the right section
. Dont bother making a new thread about this as the mods will move the thread to the right section.

Now about your question unless you are doing some serious multitasking switching to a 4400 would be a step backwards. If you dont multitask the 4800 would be about equal to the FX-55 and obviously the FX-60 would be a little bit better.

Now if every time you turned on the computer you did some crazy feat of multitasking like playing 2 games of doom 3 at the same time (I jest...Read: you use 2 or more processor intensive programs at the same time) any of the dual core chips you listed will be better than the FX-55.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well dual core would help in that environment, and you should consider the dual opterons. I would look into the 170. You could probably clock it to 2.6-2.8 no problem, which would equal the gaming performance of your FX right now and double the power for the video editing and multitasking..

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
out of the X2s go with the 4400, and OC it past the 4800, although I'm not sure how well they are OCing now adays. For stability and great OCing def go with what tytlyf said and get the Opty 170, although if you have $500 go with the 175 and be assured to get 3.0Ghz

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
yeah I think I would lean towards the 170, but again what does the double L1 cache in the X2 mean for performance?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I dont think that's accurate about the L1, it's a typo or it's incorrect information. They should have the same L1 and L2 cache sizes....
I could be wrong, but L1 cache isn't important towards performance....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if I go with an Opteron 170, can I overclock with Value RAM and good air cooling? I don't want to replace 2g of RAM or get water cooling.

If all I need to do is change the multiplier then thats sounds like a good deal.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

170 is the better option than the 4400, and it's cheaper....overclock that badboy

yes get an opteron, but if you get an X2 go for a 4600 because it has an extra bit of L2 cache which is good for the stuff you do

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveVsTheWorld

Well if I go with an Opteron 170, can I overclock with Value RAM and good air cooling? I don't want to replace 2g of RAM or get water cooling.

If all I need to do is change the multiplier then thats sounds like a good deal.

you can use value ram and the stock cooler it comes with. You will just have to use a divider on the memory, which many people do, and overclock the processor.
Go with the opteron, the x2's dont overclock as good, and they are a waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

you can use value ram and the stock cooler it comes with. You will just have to use a divider on the memory, which many people do, and overclock the processor.
Go with the opteron, the x2's dont overclock as good, and they are a waste of money IMO.

I agree with geting the opteron, even if you dont o/c it that far, there a better chip at the same speed than the x2. AMD makes them with better silicon because there ment for a server/workstation enviroment.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
You must game as well, otherwise you would have sunk your teeth into a workstation-esque board.

If I were you, doing the things you do, I'd get an Opteron 175 from Monarch.

200x11, you can get 2.6 if you run 236x11 with a 9:10 divider (if your motherboard has this option). Most value ram will run ~212MHz at stock volts and timings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxed

yes get an opteron, but if you get an X2 go for a 4600 because it has an extra bit of L2 cache which is good for the stuff you do

disagree with x2 4600 it has the same L2 cache as the 3800+ 2x 512 as the 4400+ has 2x 1mb as well as the opteron 165,170,175 all have 2x1mb L2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xavier1421

If I were you, doing the things you do, I'd get an Opteron 175 from Monarch.

Monarch is good I have done plenty with them my favorite as most though is still Newegg but if you want the best prices on the opteron CPUs go to mwave.com 175 is $15 cheaper than monarch as well as all there other CPUs are cheaper as well....as well mwave is a very good place to buy I have never had problems with them as well as the other 2 places...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Odd, mwave shows $505 as the price. Monarch is 496 and change shipped.

you are right sorry I was looking at monarchs oem which is stated at $515....
Why would OEM be more than PIB...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts