Overclock.net banner

Help in purchasing XBox

1373 Views 25 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  sdla4ever
Hey guys. My stepson has been saving his money to buy a 360. With what he will get for Christmas he will have enough for the 199 one. Probably NOT enough for the 299 one. We were going to go ahead and buy it ahead of time then come Christmas day he would have his money and just pay us for it. That way he can play it right away.

Question is this. What are the main differences in the two 360s? I know one has a bigger hd and comes with a cpl games I think. Is it even worth buying the 199 one? Although he may play the games that come free, they would not be his choice. So any help of the differences. I only have access right now from my phone and that's why I am coming here instead og googling it. Thx!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
We could understand better if you specified which ones e.g. Elite, Premium etc...
I'd get $299. So he has space to save games and like that. Plus blacker looks nicer. XBL requires Hard drive.

This outlines main differences. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post
We could understand better if you specified which ones e.g. Elite, Premium etc...
only two xbox versions
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post
lol he's trying to but he's obviously not sure which one is which.

i'd say get the one that comes with the most stuff included. dont worry about those free games so much as they probably suck, however if they dont but arnt what he wants, bear in mind you can just sell the games and turn them into more dollar value.
See less See more
The Arcade ($199) system is great. The one disadvantage is it comes with only 1 controller and no hard drive. The hard drive is needed to play older xbox (original console) games. The Arcade comes with a 256Mb memory stick, so you can still create gamer profiles.

You can pick up a used 20Gb HDD for about $29 on Amazon and Ebay. So you can always get him the HDD for a Christmas present!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

edit: The 60Gb HDD is $58.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
The $300 is a really good value, go with that one, 120GB is plenty of room to store gmaes, and videos/
Quote:

Originally Posted by eseb1 View Post
The $300 is a really good value, go with that one, 120GB is plenty of room to store gmaes, and videos/
I have to agree. I forgot Newegg has the Elite console on sale for $299!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-025-_-Product

See less See more
Wow those responses were quick. Thx. I thought there were only two versions.

Will any harddrive work in it? Either way I guess if I do buy the Arcade version I assume that later I can add the HD at anytime?
Quote:

Originally Posted by broddam View Post
Wow those responses were quick. Thx. I thought there were only two versions.

Will any harddrive work in it? Either way I guess if I do buy the Arcade version I assume that later I can add the HD at anytime?
Any of the Xbox 360 HDDs will work. They come in 20Gb, 60Gb and 120Gb sizes.

See less See more
elite doesnt with the hdmi cable anymore.
Go with the bigger HDD my friend who doesn't even play many games has an elite and only has a few gb left. I would also tell your son to install most games to prevent disk eating/scratching issues. Also You would have plenty of space to store music and DLC. Personally I would get him a year of XBL and buy him at least 1 game I suggest MW2. I despise what they did to the pc version, it is atill a good console experience.

Edit: If he really wants the game and you really want to splurge you could get the MW2 360 It is a great looking console. Comes with 250 GB HDD MW2 of course and 2 controllers. Price $400.
Newegg on sale for 299? I thoguht that was standard price now for the elite?

Ok so

Arcade no HD. Elite 120g
Arcade 1 controller. Elite 2?
Arcade no game. Elite 2 games?
Arcade 199.00. Elite 299.00
(Those being everyday prices?)

What else?
Would you happen to have a fry's near you? They have the elite for 299 that comes with 7 games.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drackula2000
View Post

Would you happen to have a fry's near you? They have the elite for 299 that comes with 7 games.

WOW. Seven of them? I wonder for how long? I don't have a Frys here in south Alabama but I have family in Atl. I wonder if one is there?
See less See more
There is one in Duluth just outside Atl I think they might be closed now though sorry to get your hopes up. Deal was supposed to end at 9 if only you had family in Cali.
Save urself the time and grief from when ur box red lights to sending it off and just buy a PS3.
That deal with 7 games would be your best bet if you can find it.

In any case you NEED a hard drive, it is used for many games and features that you will find yourself looking to buy one in the future.

Its much cheaper to get one with a hard drive than to go out and buy one later on.

I just recently bought a Xbox 360 Pro which is the one with a (60gb hard drive) for the price of an arcade (199CAD) because the pro is being replaced with the elite (the 120bg, 299 one). If you can find a 60gb pro chances are you will get a great deal on it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDub07
View Post

Save urself the time and grief from when ur box red lights to sending it off and just buy a PS3.

Get the Elite 360, you won't regret it.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by broddam
View Post

Hey guys. My stepson has been saving his money to buy a 360. With what he will get for Christmas he will have enough for the 199 one. Probably NOT enough for the 299 one. We were going to go ahead and buy it ahead of time then come Christmas day he would have his money and just pay us for it. That way he can play it right away.

Question is this. What are the main differences in the two 360s? I know one has a bigger hd and comes with a cpl games I think. Is it even worth buying the 199 one? Although he may play the games that come free, they would not be his choice. So any help of the differences. I only have access right now from my phone and that's why I am coming here instead og googling it. Thx!

it doesnt come with a hard drive, or HD cables. You need to buy a $100 hard drive to pretty much do anything on it, so just buy that $299 one..
See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.