Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just assenmbled a HTPC build. I'm using a slightly used E6300.

Upon first power up the system came right on with out issue. But after looking in the BIOS I see the processor is running at 71 degrees celsius!

There is no OS installed yet so it's not under load. The heat sink (An AC Freezer Pro 7) is correctly installed. I have examined the feet on the heat sink as well as all around the processor the heat sink is flush and correctly attached.

Is the sensor bad? This is a brand new board.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Your CPU is underload in the BIOS....

Regardless, those are high temps. Is your BIOS up-to-date?

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Install the OS then check your temps. Don't worry about the temps during the install, if it gets too hot it will shut down due to the intel thermal limit.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Has to be asked: did you remove the plastic covering from the heatsink before installation? I'm assuming so since you lapped your Tuniq.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_Stryker View Post
Case? Airflow? Ambient Temps? Thermal Paste used? Push-Pins or Bolts to secure Freezer Pro?

BIOS does cause minor load as well, but its very small.
I'm using this case and right now it is wide open and still giving me those temps.

The ambient temp in this room is 75F. I used the included MX-7 thermal paste that came with the AC7. As stated I know the push pins are in.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by hometoast View Post
Has to be asked: did you remove the plastic covering from the heatsink before installation? I'm assuming so since you lapped your Tuniq.
Yes. But, I have done stupid things like that in the past.

FYI I lapped this E6300 as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by APOLLOSTEES View Post
I'm using this case and right now it is wide open and still giving me those temps.

The ambient temp in this room is 75F. I used the included MX-7 thermal paste that came with the AC7. As stated I know the push pins are in.
I had a friend with the same problem with his Xigmatek 1283.

Put the case so the motherboard is flat. While it is in BIOS push down on top of the Freezer Pro and see if your temps change. Even though the push pins are *IN* they might not provide enough pressure to make a good contact with the CPU.

My friends CPU was running 63 under load. He pushed down and it dropped to 53. He bought the bolt through kit for the Xig 1283 and and some AS5 and now he runs 46 under load.

Paste and pressure make a HUGE difference with heatsinks and CPU.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_Stryker View Post
I had a friend with the same problem with his Xigmatek 1283.

Put the case so the motherboard is flat. While it is in BIOS push down on top of the Freezer Pro and see if your temps change. Even though the push pins are *IN* they might not provide enough pressure to make a good contact with the CPU.

My friends CPU was running 63 under load. He pushed down and it dropped to 53. He bought the bolt through kit for the Xig 1283 and and some AS5 and now he runs 46 under load.

Paste and pressure make a HUGE difference with heatsinks and CPU.
I wouldn't be suprised if that is my problem. The AC7 is decent, but the crappy push pin idea is so agrevating.
It took me 20 minutes to get it flush in the firt place. I wish they had just included some plan bolts and screws.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Yep, I won't use any cooler that isn't bolt-through.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Once I had a bend pin with a AC7, so it seemed like it was installed correctly but there was a white piece of that plastic (like 0,3mm) between the mobo and pin which was causing the higher temps.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SG_Stryker
View Post

So? Did you try pushing down? Curious what happened....

OK so here is what I've done:

1. I have tried reseating the heat sink, twice.

2. I cleaned off the included MX-7 thermal compound and applied a layer of AS5

3. I did try pushing down and I didn't see a temp difference.

4. I flashed the BIOS to the most current. Still no difference.

Finally I just installed my OS as advised. I then installed SPEED FAN, it shows my temps at 41c

I guess the BIOS' temps were bogus. I dom't see how a different program could get different temps, don't they rely on the same hardware for data?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by APOLLOSTEES View Post
OK so here is what I've done:

1. I have tried reseating the heat sink, twice.

2. I cleaned off the included MX-7 thermal compound and applied a layer of AS5

3. I did try pushing down and I didn't see a temp difference.

4. I flashed the BIOS to the most current. Still no difference.

Finally I just installed my OS as advised. I then installed SPEED FAN, it shows my temps at 41c

I guess the BIOS' temps were bogus. I dom't see how a different program could get different temps, don't they rely on the same hardware for data?
As with any program it has to interpret the reading. BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System, so you get what you pay for
It probably just couldn't parse the info correctly.

Plus Idle and low load reading can be horribly inaccurate for a lot of things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts