Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first build from about 3 months ago, so im pretty new to this stuff. A couple of days ago, I installed a new h70 and was hoping to try out overclocking. However, after installing it, my computer now shuts off instantly right after I power up before it even posts or anything. Now I have no idea whats wrong.

I installed the cooler just like in corsairs video and it felt like everything went smoothly until I tried to power on. So far, i've tried tried reseating the h70, booting with 1 stick of ram, resetting cmos, and reconnecting the psu, but still no luck. Any ideas of what could be wrong? Everything was working perfect before and i diddn't really touch anything when I installed the h70. Is it possible that somehow the mobo/psu might have been damaged in the process?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Unlikely that something got damaged with you were switching coolers. If I were you I'd give the old cooler a shot again, and see if it run fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmasherBasher View Post
You probably forgot to plug the pump in and it overheated.
This too. That would suck if this is the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive tried plugging the pump into a fan header, cpu header, and even the psu but with same results. the computer shuts off instantly (1 second or less) when i power on, from the google searches ive done it seems like cpu overheat usually shuts down after ~5 seconds but im not sure. Ive tried reseating and the pump is on pretty snug so im not sure how it can overheat

thanks for the replies btw

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Your h70 might be doa then try putting your old cooler back on and see if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
***. same problem with stock intel cooler... guess something did get messed up installing the new cooler which is weird cause I didn't even move anything, just unplugged, removed stock cooler and installed h70. didn't need to remove anything since case has hole in motherboard tray.

any idea on how to figure out what piece got messed up? my friends all have laptops so im not sure how to go about testing the hardware. is there anyway to test the mobo/psu without buying new parts?

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Might take it to a pc shop and see if they will test some stuff i know some will do it for 25 bucks or so others charge up to 100. My guess would be you killed the motherboard.

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SecrtAgentMan View Post
Did you put thermal paste on?

Or is that already on the H70's cooler?
It should be on it already least it is with the h50.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
kinda sounds like to me you are shorting something out, make sure no metal pieces are touching the motherboard, on either side.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
kinda sounds like to me you are shorting something out, make sure no metal pieces are touching the motherboard, on either side.
Thinking the same thing take the mobo out of the case and run it to test

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tried it outside case with just the cpu and still same thing. shuts off instantly before post. guess its between cpu, psu, and mobo now. im guessing something happened to mobo like wolf mentioned

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.