Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok... have you followed the instructions on stanford's website?

Quote:
DETAILED LINUX INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

We are in the process of making an installer to make this process much easier. For now, here are detailed instructions to setup the SMP client.

1) Go to Terminal. Depending of your desktop engine (KDE, GNOME, ...) the Terminal application can be at different places, but you'll find it. GNOME has it at "Applications->Accessories->Terminal". Open Terminal.

2) In the Terminal window you should see a prompt that looks something like this:

[email protected] ~ $

3) To get the SMP FAH client going type in following commands:

mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH
cd ~/folding/FAH
curl -O http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/fold..._SMP_Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz

Note: If you don't have curl available on your machine, use wget instead:

wget http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/fold..._SMP_Linux.tgz

4) Now you should have the SMP FAH client in place and you'll have to configure it. It can be done by running following command:

./fah5 -configonly

After setting the configuration there are couple of ways to start the SMP FAH client. One way is to start it is by typing in each time the following command

./fah5 -verbosity 9

5) OPTIONAL: To make it a little easier for yourself, one can making a script by running following commands:

echo "./fah5 -verbosity 9" > FaH
chmod +x FaH

Now you'll just have to run

./FaH

and all those additional FAH client flags will get added by itself.

Note: All those listed commands MUST be typed/pasted from this little HOWTO to the terminal (window) of your machine.

·
20 Cans of Ravioli
24,285 Posts
Download, put it in a folder, open Terminal in that folder, type:

./fah5

(In the folder the unpacked files are in)

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyzkickazz
View Post

when i type ./fah5 -configonly it says no such file or directory

If you do ls (enter) what does it say?

EDIT: I mean DIR. Or prompt LOL! Can't remember any Unix commands...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1st is locate the file: if you followed stanford instructions you should go to terminal and type

cd ~/folding/FAH

if it works, it shouldn't brign up an error.

Then, you execute the program by typing ./fah5

·
Premium Member
22,005 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoe
View Post

1st is locate the file: if you followed stanford instructions you should go to terminal and type

cd ~/folding/FAH

if it works, it shouldn't brign up an error.

Then, you execute the program by typing ./fah5

On certain systems it has to be

sh ./fah5

because they can't recognize the file as executable. I ran into that problem on my Ubuntu box.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Here is how I did it:

1) DL
2) Extract if necessary, and move to desired directory

Gets harder for the Linux novice now.

3) Open up a terminal/console window
4) cd to directory, ex. type: "cd FAH" (or whatever you named the directory)
5) chmod +x FAH-Whatever (whatever the filename is) This gives executable permissions.

6) ./FAH-Whatever (assuming you are still in the same directory)

On first run it should open up the config window.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a little confused by your post rippon it is very clear to me. I went to my folder where the stuff was dl'd and extracted to home/folding/FAH then typed chmod +x FAH-fah5 said no such directory I also tried chmod +x fah5, this didn't give me an error so I tried the ./fah5 and it still says no such file/directory any more ideas?

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyzkickazz
View Post

Nvm to any of this I uninstalled ubuntu for now it was a pain in the arse... it corrupted my windows install too...

You ran into the same issue I did.....and did the same thing I did, tossed Ubuntu

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I know you said you no longer need help, but I just wanted to post and clear it up and maybe help some of you in the future.

Rippon's post is pretty much dead on right, but I'll go into more detail.

Ok so you downloaded the file and saved it in you home folder (ie. /home/dangeroushobo/FAH504-Linux.exe)

In a terminal type:
cd ~/
mkdir ~/folding
mv FAH504-Linux.exe ~/folding
cd folding/
sudo chmod +x FAH504-Linux.exe -OR- sudo chmod +x FAH <press TAB> Note: tab completes the line
./FAH <press TAB>

I think some of you were trying to do tab complete or something with the ./fah5, but didn't say to press tab. Also Unix/Linux is case sensitive. So ./FAH....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo
View Post

I know you said you no longer need help, but I just wanted to post and clear it up and maybe help some of you in the future.

Rippon's post is pretty much dead on right, but I'll go into more detail.

Ok so you downloaded the file and saved it in you home folder (ie. /home/dangeroushobo/FAH504-Linux.exe)

In a terminal type:
cd ~/
mkdir ~/folding
mv FAH504-Linux.exe ~/folding
cd folding/
sudo chmod +x FAH504-Linux.exe -OR- sudo chmod +x FAH <press TAB> Note: tab completes the line
./FAH <press TAB>

I think some of you were trying to do tab complete or something with the ./fah5, but didn't say to press tab. Also Unix/Linux is case sensitive. So ./FAH....

I forgot to tell him to sudo. Doh! Sorry.

I think the reason it didn't work for you though is because you weren't in the right directory. When you open a console it defaults to the home directory. But the file you wanted was in folding/FAH.

Keep on trying with Linux. Everything new is going to take some time to learn. It is a little different than Windows, but it isn't harder to use once you learn it. It is like driving an automatic vs. a manual.

If you ever need more help in the future PM me or post a thread and I will do my best to help you. I encourage you to continue to learn basic console navigation and use. At first it is really hard to get a hold of, but once you learn the basics, picking up the other stuff is like a snowball cascading down a snowy slope.

I did a quick search on Google for basic Linux commands. These look like a some decent ones.

Most of these work on Ubuntu. But with Ubuntu, it is important to note that when you need 'root' access, you use 'sudo'. So, sudo command -arg

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basic.shtml

Quote:

NOTICE this is ONLY the Basic list. I also offer a list of commands for:
Beginning Server Administration
Files and Permissions
Directory navigation
Commands for Guru-Wannabees

There are tons of learning resources out there. All it takes is a little effort to have a very rewarding Linux experience.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Bah, I didn't like Ubuntu and the constant sudo "xxxxxxxxx" stuff. I'm always logged in as ROOT on FC6.

But seriously, look at my posts in the Linux forum, you'll see I had NO IDEA how linux worked. I DID mess up my partition the first time, and other times after that (but I learnt the Windows Repair + FIXMBR command very quickly)

IT will be better when FAH-SMP is functional in a 32bit environment... but even then I've been watching videos, listening to music, got my NTFS partition to play nice with Linux... I'm on Firefox right now in linux.

Good luck to all who attempt Linux: It'll help this team regain the prestige it once had as one of the fastest growing teams of all.

Jimmy

·
20 Cans of Ravioli
24,285 Posts
When I get my new stuff (Mobo + RAM + Optical) I'm going to build me a cheap Pentium D 805 rig and have it SMP fold. That way I won't have to fuss around with being on Linux.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

When I get my new stuff (Mobo + RAM + Optical) I'm going to build me a cheap Pentium D 805 rig and have it SMP fold. That way I won't have to fuss around with being on Linux.

What exactly is SMP folding? I got confused on their site whether it was dual-core, 64-bit, or both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.