Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I need help. My specs are below, new system just built. I had some parts already, and I upgraded a few things.

Intel P4 640 3.2ghz Prescott CPU
Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard = UPGRADED
XFX 7800gtx 256mb PCI GFX Card
2x 1gb Corsair XMS 5400 = UPGRADED
250gb WD SATA "150" Hard Drive
SB Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Antec SP 2.0 450watt Power Supply
Big Typhoon CPU Cooler = UPGRADED
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case = UPGRADED
3.5 Mitsumi 8-in-1 Floppy Drive = UPGRADED
Sony 16x DVD Rom Drive
Plextor DVD/DVR-W Drive
Windows XP SP2 (TRYING......)

OK, my problem is below

I just set everything up, and it all powered on PERFECTLY. Bios detects everything right. So I pop in the Windows XP sp2 CD and it loads all the drivers fine. So after all drivers are loaded, Windows Asks me which drive I would like to set up Windows XP on. Since all my drives are already partitioned with Western Digital Data Life Guard, I just select, C: drive

and AS SOON AS I SELECT IT..............

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My comp just RESTARTS for no reason at all, everytime i get here, it just RESTARTS.....

BUT WAIT, A few times I actually got Through, or So I thought. I Selected C: Drive to install windows, and it gets me to the next Option. Would I like to select NTFS, FAT, or leave it how it is. I tried it 3 different times, and After each selection....

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My comp just RESTARTS AGAIN......

Now Im thinking a couple of things

1. Maybe my sata 150 hard drive is not compatible with My Mobo SATA II
2. Maybe I dont have enough juice from My Power Supply?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG OR WHAT I CAN DO..........IM GOING CRAZY

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
This may sound weird but i had the same problem on one of my spare computers. I actually fixed it by going into the bios and I disabled everything that I was not using. Like USB, PArallel, serial and so on. I think it ended up being a bad front mount USB cable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great, so your comp kept restarting at that same point too? what psu were you using at the time?

Right now, im almost done with my WD diagnostics tool, so after that, im going to try to disable everything. hopefully it works.

another forum told me my psu may not be good enough, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
move your ram around (Try different solts with minimum ram)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i changed power supply to ANTEC TP II 550watt and still the same problem, i also tried moving around the ram, but didnt work. Does anyone else have any solutions?

As soon as i get to the "Pick which Drive to Install Windows" it just RESTARTS after whatever option I pick.

HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbusta

Since all my drives are already partitioned with Western Digital Data Life Guard, I just select, C: drive

and AS SOON AS I SELECT IT..............

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My comp just RESTARTS for no reason at all, everytime i get here, it just RESTARTS.....

BUT WAIT, A few times I actually got Through, or So I thought. I Selected C: Drive to install windows, and it gets me to the next Option. Would I like to select NTFS, FAT, or leave it how it is. I tried it 3 different times, and After each selection....

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

My comp just RESTARTS AGAIN......

Now Im thinking a couple of things

1. Maybe my sata 150 hard drive is not compatible with My Mobo SATA II
2. Maybe I dont have enough juice from My Power Supply?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG OR WHAT I CAN DO..........IM GOING CRAZY

Uh . . try removing the partition and formatting it with another software program. I don't think its a compatibility issue with your mobo .. but other people over here know tons more than me. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just received an New Hard Drive

250gb Western Digital SATA II Drive

I just plopped it in there, I didnt mess with the partitions or anything. The same thing just happened....RESTARTS

Would it help to partition it priort to install Spyder? if so, what other programs do so?

Can anyone do me a favor and see if 2x1024 Corsair XMS2 5400c4 ddr2 ram is compatible with my ASUS P5WD2 ??

Im just stuck, could it possible be a defective motherboard?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Did you try what I mentioned above? I recomend that you disable things such as USB and other things to see if that is the problem. My issue was a bad front panel USB cable. So disabling that fixed the problem. My power supply is fine. Power supply issues accur randomly for the most part.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL Spooked, actually I did do that. But I think i disabled too many things, because when I restarted my comp, it gave me this error

"USB over current changes...SYSTEM WILL SHUTDOWN IN 15 SECONDS......." something like that, and I couldnt even get into bios, so I had to clear the CMOS and battery and stuff.

Anyhow, i ran the memtest again, didnt know how to do it the first time, and I think i have a bad ram, not sure yet, but I will post again.

.......$1500+/- system and this is the THANKS I get........ lol I hope it works out

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured it out Guys, Ran memtest86, turns out one of my sticks has about 12 errors. Im such a noob lol, when i first ran memtest86, i kept my 2 stick in, and just kept switching them around to different slots, never testing them individually. Yikes, I just bought a new Psu, and a harddrive, now I gotta return them and RMA this ram. Thanks for your help guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts