Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read if I have more than 1 gig of ram I can disable paging file. Well I did and one second after loading my saved game of crysis my computer locks up. What should my next course of action be? I have the first 4 timings entered manually into my BIOS btw

Edit: was just a crash. Hit ctrl+alt+delete and closed it out. Didnt respond when I tried it at first.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
You can disable the pagefile, but it's not usually a good idea.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me describe the issue I'm having. I'm currently at the final boss fight and getting a really good framerate on very high. The more I die and reload my save, the slower the game runs until it eventually freezes. I moved my page file to my other drive and set it to 2gigs which made things slightly worse. I set it to the recommended 6gigs and things improved slightly but would still lock up after a few more attempts. What should I do besides buy more ram right now?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz View Post
I recently read if I have more than 1 gig of ram I can disable paging file. Well I did and one second after loading my saved game of crysis my computer locks up. What should my next course of action be? I have the first 4 timings entered manually into my BIOS btw
It's normal. Microsoft Windows haven't changed from the 1.0 version at all. They change only the graphical aspect, not the core.
Since the PC had insufficient ram at the time of the first development of Windows, the windows thinking is about this:

- I need ram
- the computer usually has only 1 MB of ram
- I use the swap file

It isn't important that now your PC has 4 or more GB of ram. Windows don't try to use it and uses the swap file.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
640K ought to be enough for anybody!

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cretz View Post

Edit: was just a crash. Hit ctrl+alt+delete and closed it out. Didnt respond when I tried it at first.
Fail... pure and utter fail... Sorry

How much memory do you have btw?

EDIT: You got 4Gb, what have you set the timings to? Could be an issue there if it keeps crashing, Run memtest and see how that fairs

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_newb View Post
i honestly thought for 6gb + u could disable the pagefile.. anything under and u still needed it?
It isn't a question about the needs of the swap. It's only that windows sometime tries to access it. If you disable it, windows go mad.
A solution can be to limit the swap to a fixed size eventually small (normally, windows shrinks and enlarge the swap continually). If you sets the min and max size of the swap file at the same size, the only drawback is that you have a file on the HD that takes space.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Some applications require a page file regardless of how much ram you have and can crash or produce incorrect results without one.

·
oldfaht
1,434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UndertheGun View Post
Turn page file back on and buy more RAM.
Do not try everything you read.
LOL, Very Good. Kids, don't try this at home.
The guys are right, some programs need it.
Windows will look for it and try and use it.
You can try moving the pagefile to a different drive.
Get more RAM
Nice work by everyone that responded.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i have xp and win7, 2gb ram

xp is for gaming, with pagefile of 500mb everything is perfect
win7 without pagefile, not for gaming everything works perfect

if i had 3gb i would disable pagefile, even create a ramdisk and put the pagefile in that drive letter

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I always have a pagefile, even with 8GB ram. Just incase windows needs to access it, It's not really recommended to disable PF as it can cause problems.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've been running for over a year with no pagefile and so far everything runs seamlessly.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
If you have hard-drive space to kill (and who in this form wouldn't?), just create a fixed-size pagefile.

I have 8GB of RAM on my workstation, on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and there's a 20GB pagefile sitting on drive C. Fixed size, but still 20GB in size. Why? Because there's still 40GB of free space on that partition and another 2876.4GB free elsewhere on the computer (Out of 6664.9GB)!
lol. "Because I can!".

Anyways, you don't have to follow the general rule of thumb that says the page file should be 1.5x RAM amount. With 4GB of RAM, oh, I dunno, commit 1 or 2GB somewhere as a pagefile for those "just-in-case" situations

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
If you have hard-drive space to kill (and who in this form wouldn't?), just create a fixed-size pagefile.

I have 8GB of RAM on my workstation, on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and there's a 20GB pagefile sitting on drive C. Fixed size, but still 20GB in size. Why? Because there's still 40GB of free space on that partition and another 2876.4GB free elsewhere on the computer (Out of 6664.9GB)!
lol. "Because I can!".

Anyways, you don't have to follow the general rule of thumb that says the page file should be 1.5x RAM amount. With 4GB of RAM, oh, I dunno, commit 1 or 2GB somewhere as a pagefile for those "just-in-case" situations

From my experience, my system sped up after disabling my pagefile, because it forced all programs to use RAM rather than my HDD, and we all know RAM is way faster than any HDD.

I think the issue might be related to your RAM filling up due to a memory leak somewhere?

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UndertheGun View Post
Turn page file back on and buy more RAM. Do not try everything you read.
He has 4GB, does not need more RAM. Turn your PF back on but set it to like 256 or 512MB. With 4GB of RAM you PF is most likely not even being used. That is unless you do some serious serious multi tasking.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Turn page file back on. Windows NEEDS the page file

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixor View Post
if i had 3gb i would disable pagefile, even create a ramdisk and put the pagefile in that drive letter
Definitely DO NOT try this at home.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well sitting idle (idle for me is Firefox, Winamp, Bit Torrent, and Steam open) my RAM is 1.79 gigs full. I have 80 processes running. Is this a lot and should I try to clean up my active processes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts