Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stuck my laptop hard drive in my desktop and connected it with a 2.5" to 3.5" ide adapter. I installed windows xp on it, and then took it out and put it back in my laptop. Now whenever I start up windows it bsod's and restarts. For it to work do I have to install it from the laptop?

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can however boot into safe mode... Can I do anything from there?

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Ya, install your chipset drivers from there. That's the problem, if you installed XP on your desktop, it was configured to run on your desktop, you may encounter lots of problems when changing it to your laptop as it's another motherboard. Find the chipset drivers and install them from Safe Mode.

• Rep+
Reactions: mth91

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also noticed that I can't install xp from a usb cd drive, it stops at driver.cab when it's copying files. Any good way to install from a usb cd drive?

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
No problem, again, you are able to boot on Safe Mode because Safe Mode uses the Windows basic drivers that work with ANY hardware, but if you don't boot in Safe Mode, the OS will load specific drivers, and if those drivers aren't appropriate for your hardware= BSODS, crashes, instability... I have no idea as for the driver.cab, I would just install the OS from the CD, if you don't have a CD, I can ship you one for free... I've never heard about installing an OS from an USB stick, I don't understand how it could work...

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got my cd, it's just that it won't install through usb from a usb cd drive. I'm guessing that's because xp loads its own usb drivers during install?

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
Doesn't your laptop have an integrated CD Drive?

·
Banned
715 Posts
yeah usb cd drives have a hard time reading data on the disk expecially large .bin and cabinet files, such as the infamous driver.cab

but i would just install the mobo/laptop/chipset drivers in safe mode like emmanuel said.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It boots into safe mode, but it screws up for some reason. I choose either of the accounts to log in with safe mode, and when I get in, after like a minute it tells me it's going to shut down in a minute.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been searching google, but haven't found anything workable yet. Does anybody know of a good way to install xp from an external cd drive? Without dos or a floppy. I can however connect my laptop hdd to my desktop mobo.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I have xp installed, and I can boot into safe mode, how do I go about installing chipset and cpu drivers and such, until I do so, the computer won't boot properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts