Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to pull my finger out of my ass ??????? I'm trying to figure out how to fix this stupid oops..... I'm installing a new cooler on my 4890 and when I pulled it out of the case I banged it on something causing this guy to break off.

One of the prods is snapped off short so its looking bad for me right now.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
get all the numbers off it and see if you can find it online, then youll have to solder it if you know how, i had to do this for a FX5600 I had years ago

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
thats going to be tricky. i would do the able or if you really risky try and starting it up without the capacity,(i assume that is what your broke off).

Options:
-Buy the same board again
-try and running your rig without the part( i have no idea whats going to happen here)
-find the part number and resolder it. (doesnt look like it can be but it is still worth the try
-buy different but cheaper board?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd solder it back where it is if you can. Chances are it won't run without that, and if it does it won't run stable or for very long.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
chances are that it will run fine without it, most caps are for power conditioning, i broke a cap of a 7950 gt, and it ran FINE without it

i would give the card a try without the cap if you are unconfortible with soldering, if you run into problems, take some time to learn how to solder on old parts, then give it a try.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
actually it should run iwthout it, but if you dont wanna do it id just solder it, or get someone to do it. CL3P20 could replace the cap for you for cheap i bet

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bumsoil View Post
chances are that it will run fine without it, most caps are for power conditioning, i broke a cap of a 7950 gt, and it ran FINE without it

i would give the card a try without the cap if you are unconfortible with soldering, if you run into problems, take some time to learn how to solder on old parts, then give it a try.

I tried and it didn't work.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I'd try running it without it like most have mentioned. If you do decide to try and solder on a new one, make sure you remove all the existing solder form the connection it goes to before you do.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
bro, you better not put that card in your system and try to run it with out that cap. how about getting ahold of CL3P20 and see if he can fix your card for you.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The numbers on mine are A 83X, 330, 16v

Just wondering if one like this would work ??? I'm not a capacitor repairman so here's one I found on the net.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of those should work,

Just make sure to have the capacity approximatly the same, and the voltage rating equal to or higher than the original.

That capacitor looks about the right size to be 330 uf, and is 16v. You can go to Radioshack, and get a close approximation. For example, a 400 uf 20v capacitor would work. it just has to be approximate.

And as for soldering, you can do it. It looks like the cap was a surface mount, but you can bend the pins sideways, and solder it onto it. I can give a more detailed description if you want.

AND DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT THE CAPACITOR. YOU MAY FRY IT!

Cheers!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigshades92
View Post

One of those should work,

Just make sure to have the capacity approximatly the same, and the voltage rating equal to or higher than the original.

That capacitor looks about the right size to be 330 uf, and is 16v. You can go to Radio shack, and get a close approximation. For example, a 400 uf 20v capacitor would work. it just has to be approximate.

And as for soldering, you can do it. It looks like the cap was a surface mount, but you can bend the pins sideways, and solder it onto it. I can give a more detailed description if you want.

AND DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT THE CAPACITOR. YOU MAY FRY IT!

Cheers!

Thanks!

I was thinking of Radioshack too for getting a new capacitor. Yes it is surface mounted so I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I found my capacitor on my old 7600GT card. It has four of them so I have plenty of backups if need be.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that wont work since they have them soldered in all the way through the board good and my gun can't melt it.

Guess I'll have to check Radio Shack out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkiy
View Post

If you were in Chicago I'd do it for you...

Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenty
View Post

your not helping.....

You just have to love members like him...this is why forum post counts mean jack and i always have a headache when i leave here and similar sites....do people even think before they make such remarks and fickle posts?

All i can say is be careful next time...that and if the card isn't very old(how would they know) i would send it in for an rma saying you got it new from etc store and it was broke...if they contest to talk to the store tell them they wouldn't do anything...might work...or they might just fix the broken cap no problem...

Just some ideas...best of luck and keep us posted

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenty
View Post

Well that wont work since they have them soldered in all the way through the board good and my gun can't melt it.

Guess I'll have to check Radio Shack out.

? I'm not very knowledgeable, but as long as it's contact points are soldered, shouldn't it be fine if it's not physically soldered in the board?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts