Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the help. What I want to do is build a new rig for use as a charting PC for my daytrading. All of the calculations are pretty CPU intensive as I have a ton of stuff open at once. I'd prefer to have an Intel rig and piece it together with top of the line stuff. Most of the prebuilt "Trading PC's" aren't built with all of the best components. Now, overclocking is not necesary, but I thought I'd ask my question in a forum where people know fast rigs.

OK, here are my wants. Please give me suggestions of actual products. Price is not a factor and I want this baby to be a screamer yet rock solid:

1) A dual core, dual CPU setup (only if the mainboard will use the second CPU even if the software isn't written to utilize 2 CPU's.) Otherwise just one dual core CPU)
2) Obviously a motherboard to go with whatever is decided upon with the CPU configuration above.
3) Dual 250GB HDD's. They will be mirror images of one another in case one should fail.
4) 2-4GB RAM. Fastest speed available, 2GB will work, but 4GB is better. Again, it depends on the motherboard. Brand names would be nice here. Crucial maybe?
5) Support for 6 DVI LCD's. I'm guessing 1 AGP and 2 PCI cards here.
6) Good TV Tuner card as I like to watch CNBC/Bloomberg on one screen). I'd prefer it was separate from the regular video card, but that's just a preference.
7) The best NIC you can suggest.
8) PSU. Obviously I'm going to need some power and stability here. PC Power and Cooling maybe?
9) Cooling. I want it to be as cool as possible. Sometimes I leave for a few days and my computer auto-trades for me using my predefined entry/exit points so it has to be hassle-free. I was hoping for a Peltiers or Phase change solution combined with a water cooling system. Again, I need it to be top of the line. Leaks would be catastrophic not only to the PC but my account
10) Case. I'd like an aluminum tower to shove all of this in. I'd like it to be big enough so that putting in all of the cooling stuff won't be a problem. I like a little space to work with.

The optical stuff I can take care of on my own. Hah... after all of that I guess you could suggest something for that, but I think I can manage at least this part.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I think we can certainly help you with your build. That level of machine is a bit beyond my skill level, but we have some folks who will be able to make some good suggestions.

Here are just a couple of thoughts...

1) A rough budget would be very handy for putting this together. Obviously you're looking to spend some serious dollars on this, but the ol' "price isn't an issue" statement opens the door for all kinds of crazy things that may or may not be what you're looking for. For example, you may get some suggestions for server grade CPUs which are ridiculously expensive though incredibly powerful. If that's the market you're in, great; if not, limiting the build to a certain dollar value will get people going in the right direction.
2) Your proposed hard drive arrangement is RAID 1, which has two mirrored drives. Depending on the type of disk access needs you have, a different type of RAID may serve you well, especially considering hard drives are one of the cheaper components in the system. RAID 0+1, for example, offers the redundancy you require but also offers a performance boost. In that type of arrangement, two or more drives "share" data to increase performance, and an equal number of drives mirror those.
3) For performance RAM, the name you're likely to see are Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, and Geil. Generally, 2 GB or performance RAM will handle just about anything you throw at it, though many motherboards can take more RAM with the potential of a bit of a performance hit, depending on the chipset of the motherboard.
4) PC Power and Cooling is the best, and that's exactly what you're going to need for this beast.
5) We have users experienced with both commercially built and custom phase change units, so I'm sure we can help you with anything you need there.
6) I'm a big fan of Lian Li cases. They're a bit costly, but one of their full towers should be perfect for this build.

Please feel free to bump this thread if you don't get the help you're looking for in a timely manner.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
It sounds like you want a server, so I would go (if money is no real object) with dual-dual core AMD Opterons (I know you said you wanted intel, but the Xeon is throughly bad and you would probably need to water-cool the beast.) A Tyan motherboard, 2GB of RAM, and 2x 150GB 10,000RPM Western Digital Raptors. Phase Change is a little overboard as it's not so reliable and it just keeps your processor at -50 degress C. I pretty much agree with everything else Taeric said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

Welcome to the forums.

I think we can certainly help you with your build. That level of machine is a bit beyond my skill level, but we have some folks who will be able to make some good suggestions.

Here are just a couple of thoughts...

1) A rough budget would be very handy for putting this together. Obviously you're looking to spend some serious dollars on this, but the ol' "price isn't an issue" statement opens the door for all kinds of crazy things that may or may not be what you're looking for. For example, you may get some suggestions for server grade CPUs which are ridiculously expensive though incredibly powerful. If that's the market you're in, great; if not, limiting the build to a certain dollar value will get people going in the right direction.
2) Your proposed hard drive arrangement is RAID 1, which has two mirrored drives. Depending on the type of disk access needs you have, a different type of RAID may serve you well, especially considering hard drives are one of the cheaper components in the system. RAID 0+1, for example, offers the redundancy you require but also offers a performance boost. In that type of arrangement, two or more drives "share" data to increase performance, and an equal number of drives mirror those.
3) For performance RAM, the name you're likely to see are Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, and Geil. Generally, 2 GB or performance RAM will handle just about anything you throw at it, though many motherboards can take more RAM with the potential of a bit of a performance hit, depending on the chipset of the motherboard.
4) PC Power and Cooling is the best, and that's exactly what you're going to need for this beast.
5) We have users experienced with both commercially built and custom phase change units, so I'm sure we can help you with anything you need there.
6) I'm a big fan of Lian Li cases. They're a bit costly, but one of their full towers should be perfect for this build.

Please feel free to bump this thread if you don't get the help you're looking for in a timely manner.

Alright. Thanks for the welcome and let me address your statements.

1) I really didn't want to throw a number at it, because I didn't want anyone limited by price. Money is ALWAYS the object, but a screamer is key. I'd be prepared to spend around $8K for the system.

2) I really just want to utilize one drive and have it back up to the other maybe every 6 hours. I want to keep the second as fresh as possible in the event of a failure of the 1st.

3) OK

4) OK

5) Oh good. I've water cooled PC's before but phase change is new to me.

6) I was thinking Lian Li, but as my range of knowledge as far as manufacturers go is limited so I didn't know if there was a better solution. Thanks so much for the help !

Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude

It sounds like you want a server, so I would go (if money is no real object) with dual-dual core AMD Opterons (I know you said you wanted intel, but the Xeon is throughly bad and you would probably need to water-cool the beast.)

Watercooling would definitley be an option. What I really need is the best performance of what's out there today. If AMD is the way to go then so be it. I've never liked AMD before and had tons of problems, but that was with some of their socket 468 stuff. If it's better now I'm not mad at 'em
Intel is my preference though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supratt93

wow, hope you have about 4000 bucks to spend... thats going to be one hell of a setup.

More if I have to. It's a lot for a computer yeah, but this is a business tool as far as I'm concerned. Trust me... I wish it were going to be cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkarin

ok on your ram...My personal preference for speed, stability, support, overclocking, and reliability is OCZ. Their main site can be found at
http://www.ocztechnology.com

Thanks. It seems like OCZ might be the way to go as it's already been mentioned twice in this thread already.That's why I came here. Up until now I thought Crucial was top of the line and the Corsair I have in the PC I'm using right now was just "OK."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmmayh

If you want a roomie case with plenty of space a U2-UFO offers more than enough. That is if your ok with a cube case instead of a tower.

That's pretty slick!

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I know you're up in the air regarding Intel or AMD dual core, so here's a quick review for you showing you a comparison.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7...9.html?tag=btn

You can also note that AMD officially challenged Intel publicly to a showdown and Intel declined.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
The Intel DC chips are awful, Intel won't have "true" dual-core until like...Merom. AMD Opterons are the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
I would suggest that you entertain builds on both platforms. Let the gurus on both sides of the fence do their worst, and pick the one that will suit your needs the best. If that sounds good, feel free to post in the AMD section as well, specificially stating that you're looking for an AMD build. Edit your first post here to state that it must reflect an Intel build.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
For what you need is something like this,
HP Proliant DL380 G4
2x3.4ghz
4 gig of memory
6x36 gb scsi, you set up the raid, I would go with raid-5

You can get something like this one for $3000.00 to $6000.00 on ebay
With one of those servers you can get the management programs that go with the servers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by selectodude

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813151134 seems to be a good Tyan and it has onboard video so that'll save you 100 bucks.

While that would be nice, the onboard video won't be necessary. I have to drive 6 LCD's. I was thinking the K8WE might be nice, but I digress... this is about me getting a good working combo from those more knowlegable than myself.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well a dual core Opteron would be the way to go for this build. Which one though depends on your preference,and the rest of the specifications.

2 250gig WD SATA' in RAID 1 .RAID 1 provides the mirroring that you are looking for.If one drive fails,the system will continue to function. You may even want to go for a NAS solution if you are that serious about it(you obviously are). You could set the NAS to backup every 15 minutes,if both drives were to fail(unlikely,but possible due to uncontrollable circumstances)you would still keep all of your data.

2 Gigs of RAM will suffice,but if you really want to go all out,go for 3. OCZ

I know you prefer the TV tuner to be seperate from the card,but an ATI All In Wonder would probably be your best bet. Any cheap PCI cards with multi monitor DVI output will work.

Linksys NIC card

PC Power And Cooling 1000w!!!Go all out. Its the best,period.

GOOD Air cooling on everything but the Proc and GPU's will be fine. For the Proc and GPU's I would go with the Apogee and Maze 4's on the GPU's.
That would result in 2 loops most likely,in which single heatercores would work for the sake of space,but 2 duals would be prime. One Loop with CPU and main GPU. Another loop with the rest of the GPU's.

The reason im going with water rather than phase is due to the fact that Phase isnt meant to run 24/7 for extended periods of time. Doing so, results in imminent failure. Pumps are meant to run 24/7 for a designated period of time,typically rather long depending on the pump.(Replace it before it fails)

A massive Lian Li would be beautifal and perfectly suited to your needs. Lian li cases are the easiest to work with. They go out of their way to make working with the case a convenience.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
I think for your hard drives you should use 4 150GB Raptors in RAID0+1. That will be very fast with the back up that you are looking for. Also, since you will not be OCing, you can go with some more mainstream RAM, like Kingston. I also don't think you will need to water cool as this could hinder the reliability of your computer. Good air cooling should suffice. Since you are going to be running a lot of applications I would go all out with 4GB of RAM. I have seen some very good IBM motherboard with the same application that you require. I will get back on that one....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gill

wouldnt it be easier to give ur local (or watevas close) pc store an $8000 limit and let them go nuts makin u a kick ass pc

I suppose it would be easier, but I would only be getting one man's (or woman's) opinion and besides, I'm perfectly capable of putting it together myself. I asked here because while I can put one together, I certianly could use some direction from people who know fast PC's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts