Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend asked me to build a computer that will be able to max out WoW. I have never played WoW before, so I don't know the settings to compare to with any specific hardware to do this build. I was also told that the recent new expansion pack notched up the settings.

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Budget: $800.

-No monitor
-No keyboard & mouse
-No OS

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
ya you can buy 4gb of ram for cheap~

Also i agree with Potato's choices, although if he wants to stick with nvidia a 9800GT would work as well.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoChip
View Post

at that res... any dual core and 4830 will do. 2gig of ddr2 800. My old rig with [email protected] with 8800 gts 320mb was running almost maxed with 2xaa at 1650x1080.

That's pretty much dead on.

For 800 you can put 4gb of ram in there too. I suggest an E8400, a nice P45 mobo like the Asus P5Q or Gigabyte EP45 series. Cram a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 or WD Caviar Black in there.

4GB of your favorite brand RAM (Corsair, G.Skill and OCZ are all good picks), a ATI 4830 video card and a good 500W PSU such as the Corsair HX520W or OCZ StealthXStream 500W.

Cram all this in a nice non-expensive case like the Antec 300, don't forget a DVD Burner.

Don't feel like shopping 'round the egg for all this, but im pretty sure you'll come a bit under 800 if you can spot the deals.

EDIT: Or you can give me 600$ and I'll ship you my old rig from Canada.
Just kidding... or not? XD

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah! I see. I thought WoW was more demanding.

I'm going to go gather some stuff at the egg now.

Thanks all.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
WoW likes to mmap files (as it should), so using 4GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS will both give you advantages in the all-important loading of files off the disk. So will a nice RAID0, for that matter.

Yes, even though WoW is 32-bit, the 64-bit OS will allow it to use more RAM (3.9GB or so instead of 3.2GB or less). And it will use it if it's available.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
just make sure its a higher clocked dual core, the game is not graphically demanding but i remember hearing it was a bit more intense on the CPU in busy area's, but hell i could be wrong never played the game. ( i have enough addictions right now :swearing

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:
Good build! Only thing I would change is the case and PSU. I would get this instead, the case is much more friendly imo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129024

I play avidly so this will do well. However higher populated areas are more demanding. As for graphics, since the release of the new x-pac for the game, it has gotten more intense. If you can afford to get more ram, than thats a good bet for sure.

·
Data Scientist
384 Posts
You need to warn him that you're not going to be able to max out WoW, regardless of the budget. It's not that the game is really graphically demanding - it's just that it's so poorly written that it doesn't make efficient use of the system regardless.

No matter what you do, once you get in Dalaran, your frame rates are going to plummet. Even with a Q6600 at 3.6 GHz, raptors in raid 0, 8 GB of RAM and a 280GTX I was only hitting around 30 FPS in town.

The one thing that will improve performance more than anything else will be the CPU. Get the biggest, fastest CPU you can for the budget (I'd lean toward dual core, as that's the most WoW knows to work with).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When TBC expansion came out I made a couple upgrades. I did notice a pretty big difference between the minimum frames on a rig with an X2 4200+ (939) @2.4 GHz, and a E2160 @3.3 GHz while using a 7800 GT (1280x1024). Bumping the E2160 up to a E6850 @3.8GHz made little to no difference. Doing some tinkering with these setups I found that CPU speed (needs at least 3.2 GHz) and architecture do matter, cache doesn’t make much difference, all assuming that the GPU isn’t limiting performance to begin with.

I think by maxing WoW, he basically is looking to make any dips in performance playable at the very least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts