Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states.. I'm ready to upgrade my video card from my sig rig.

I've been eyeing the 5850 and I see they are finally available @ TD right now. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.. but have to wonder.. am I going after the right card or is a 5770 better suited for my rig. looking for 2 more years on this build.. the video card is a mid cycle upgrade on this 2007 rig.

notes:

I do not plan to crossfire.

I game @ 1280x1024 currently but wouldn't mind going up to a 19" widescreen and gaming at 1440x900

I play mostly CoD:WaW.. plan on moving to BF: BC2 when it releases next year

I am working towards overclocking my q6600 to 3.0ghz and hopefully 3.2ghz soon. I really need to redo my wiring and clean the dust from my case. Possibly turn up my case fans as well.

on my current minor overclock I ran prime95 blend for 9 hours (overnight) with no errors and peak temp @ 64c on any core (really only the 1st core.. the others were around 62/61 or so)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies.

a bit of a followup question.. if I go 5770 will I see a worthy increase in my games now.. for example.. enabling even more of the eye candy in WaW and still pulling down framerates that hover in the 90's

my current card.. 8800GT on 512mb.. has dips into the 50's and doesnt have all the candy turned up.. altho I do have alot of it turned on.
but most of the time I'm in the 80's

apply the above to a resolution of 1440x900 on a 19" widescreen.. still hold true?

·
Quarantined in the Sticks
2,408 Posts
try and google some 5770 benchmarks, see what you can find

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by snow cakes
View Post

try and google some 5770 benchmarks, see what you can find

Oh I have.. and I've been rather underwhelmed. This is why I came here to ask.. to hear more 1st hand opinions. Most of the reviews for the 5770 came out with the card's release around Oct 10th or so.

Driver updates could have changed the scene quite a bit since then, or at least I hope so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok I think my mind is made up. I'm going to get the 5850.. but not until it returns to it's launch prices or better. I hope nvidia releases their next card(s) soon and pushes the ATI price back down to target points.

I think a 5850 @ roughly $250 or less will be right in my wheelhouse.
I don't plan on staying in this 1280x1024 for too much longer (6 months at best) and I want a card that can support any future purchase I make for a monitor.

Thank you all for the input.

a quick edit: if i were planning to CF some day.. the 5770 would be the better option overall. however..i want to stay in a single card solution for this build. this link has good benchmarks and show the 5850 to be a really solid single card solution.

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=79683

1 - 9 of 9 Posts