Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Dell U2713HM but after 5 years of owning it I get an itch for something new, maybe something with 144hz, fast pixel response time, low input lag, better image quality and contrast etc
however I will like to be 27 Inch and 2560x1440, because for me 27' is the perfect size for a monitor, and 1440p is perfect for productivity and gameing.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I currently have Dell U2713HM but after 5 years of owning it I get an itch for something new, maybe something with 144hz, fast pixel response time, low input lag, better image quality and contrast etc
however I will like to be 27 Inch and 2560x1440, because for me 27' is the perfect size for a monitor, and 1440p is perfect for productivity and gameing.
The dell you have is an IPS, but you say you want fast pixel response time (This rules out VA). Are you looking for IPS, or TN? If TN is an option i would recommend the Dell S2716DGR.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I can't imagine the pixel density with a 2560x1440 resolution on a 27-foot monitor.

But on a serious note, the Acer Predator XB271HU is probably the best monitor that meets your specifications. If you have an AMD card, the Acer XF270HU would be a better option.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
I can't imagine the pixel density with a 2560x1440 resolution on a 27-foot monitor.

But on a serious note, the Acer Predator XB271HU is probably the best monitor that meets your specifications. If you have an AMD card, the Acer XF270HU would be a better option.
Also not bad choices. Just threw out the Dell because it has 1ms, and he mentioned fast pixels :p

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,899 Posts
+1 for the Acer XF270HU, it's a great monitor. Was planning on replacing my old GPU with a Vega 64 before the mining craze ruined things but it's still really nice.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Also not bad choices. Just threw out the Dell because it has 1ms, and he mentioned fast pixels :p
He mentioned productivity and gaming so I went with IPS panels. I have no experience with either of those monitors, but they have glowing reviews. I haven't gamed on an IPS panel, but I hate the viewing angle of my TN panels. I'll eventually get rid of my RL2455HM since it's an awful computer monitor and I don't play Call of Duty on console anymore.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
He mentioned productivity and gaming so I went with IPS panels. I have no experience with either of those monitors, but they have glowing reviews. I haven't gamed on an IPS panel, but I hate the viewing angle of my TN panels. I'll eventually get rid of my RL2455HM since it's an awful computer monitor and I don't play Call of Duty on console anymore.
I've gamed on the original Acer IPS 27" 1440P 144hz monitor, i forget the model number, along with the Pixio PX347C, Dell S2417DG, Lenvov Y27G, Yamakasi catleap, and probably some others. I strongly prefer the S2417DG to any of them even though it is TN. The S2417DG was the last monitor i tried, and i felt the colors were pretty vibrant compared to the IPS. Maybe not as accurate, but i like how they pop in games just like IPS. That being said if he is editing photos/videos IPS would be the way to go.

Edit: Also gamed on the LG 4K 27" which was super clear, but too hard to drive, and another LG 34" 3440x1440 60Hz, but was too slow.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It's generally recommended you read the initial post in its entirety before contributing.
Do you know what IF means? all i was saying is that if he can go a bit bigger there are better options...

Anyways alot better comment than your ("Acer Predator XB271HU") suggesting a monitor that takes people 10 different orders to get an OK panel...

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Do you know what IF means? all i was saying is that if he can go a bit bigger there are better options...

Anyways alot better comment than your ("Acer Predator XB271HU") suggesting a monitor that takes people 10 different orders to get an OK panel...
I do know what "if" means.

Again, I direct your attention to the original post. If going to a larger monitor was an option, it would no longer be "the perfect size monitor."

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
well I have the Asus MG279Q, 2560 X 1440 144Hz best monitor I have for FPS games, it has served me well for four years now. I also have a Dell 30" ultra sharp 2014 2560 X 1600 60Hz it runs well, not as fast as the Asus, but for RPG games It is great.

·
Untitled.jpg
941 Posts
I've gamed on the original Acer IPS 27" 1440P 144hz monitor, i forget the model number, along with the Pixio PX347C, Dell S2417DG, Lenvov Y27G, Yamakasi catleap, and probably some others. I strongly prefer the S2417DG to any of them even though it is TN. The S2417DG was the last monitor i tried, and i felt the colors were pretty vibrant compared to the IPS. Maybe not as accurate, but i like how they pop in games just like IPS. That being said if he is editing photos/videos IPS would be the way to go.

Edit: Also gamed on the LG 4K 27" which was super clear, but too hard to drive, and another LG 34" 3440x1440 60Hz, but was too slow.
Not related to the OP, but that Dell monitor is currently only $500 AUD, compared to similar specced monitors that's amazing. I think I'm just going to have to accept the loss of IPS, ill still have my IPS monitor for a secondary screen anyway I guess.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dell you have is an IPS, but you say you want fast pixel response time (This rules out VA). Are you looking for IPS, or TN? If TN is an option i would recommend the Dell S2716DGR.
I will like to avoid TN panel if that is possible I really like the colors of IPS, although it doesn't have to be necessarily IPS, I want something that has a reasonably fast pixel response time and at least 100hz and good image quality like IPS, and good contrast.

from what I am looking, most high refresh monitors have this gamery look that I don't like

·
Overclocker
11,643 Posts
AUO M270 panel is the only since 2015 that comes close to your requirements but it is a quite crappy quality wise panel. Other 27" 144Hz are same poor quality or worse. It's a huge lottery with almost all 100Hz+ monitors these days because of the panels they use. Older IPS usually looked a little better quality wise and were still fine to run 100Hz or even more response time wise sadly they limited them by slow electronics to 60Hz.

VA has black smearing and red smearing for the most part, limited black and color viewing angles again especially darks and reds. It's OK for casual and movies but for gaming either stick with TN or get the AUO M270 IPS as it's still the only in existence beside ultrawide options.

All the AUO M270 based monitors are a big lottery quality wise. Samsung VA HG70 27" outright I will say that you might have to buy 20+ to get 1 without any defects if even that. The TNs often have gamma issues that cause banding too, you have to pick one that is set right to 2.2 gamma by default, maybe Viewsonic or BenQ.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AUO M270 panel is the only since 2015 that comes close to your requirements but it is a quite crappy quality wise panel. Other 27" 144Hz are same poor quality or worse. It's a huge lottery with almost all 100Hz+ monitors these days because of the panels they use. Older IPS usually looked a little better quality wise and were still fine to run 100Hz or even more response time wise sadly they limited them by slow electronics to 60Hz.

VA has black smearing and red smearing for the most part, limited black and color viewing angles again especially darks and reds. It's OK for casual and movies but for gaming either stick with TN or get the AUO M270 IPS as it's still the only in existence beside ultrawide options.

All the AUO M270 based monitors are a big lottery quality wise. Samsung VA HG70 27" outright I will say that you might have to buy 20+ to get 1 without any defects if even that. The TNs often have gamma issues that cause banding too, you have to pick one that is set right to 2.2 gamma by default, maybe Viewsonic or BenQ.
Sounds like I will stay with my current monitor for a while.
Why you have to go through all this trouble to get a good 100Hz+ panel? what is going on with the industry?

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
Sounds like I will stay with my current monitor for a while.
Why you have to go through all this trouble to get a good 100Hz+ panel? what is going on with the industry?
I don't know what you think, but if you are buying reconditioned, or used products, than I could see JackCY's point being true. I have two expensive monitors, and I have never had any of the issues he describes. so I guess if you want a good monitor you really have to pay for it. again I have a Asus MG279Q 27", and a Dell UltraSharp 2014 30", they re both IPS monitors, and function great. I did not need to buy 20+, to find one that works right.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Unfortunately, you have to compromise somewhere with monitors. I can understand not wanting a monitor targeted toward gamers. Those seem to be the closest monitors to what you want though. If you get a monitor with a less flashy mount, you're probably getting one with a lower refresh rate and higher response time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the monitors that you suggested guys the Samsung 27CHG70 looks like it offers what I want 27', 2560x1440, 144hz, 1ms MPRT, 3000:1, it doesn't look gamery(although the stand looks stupid) and it also offers HDR and curvature which I consider them bonus.

Although it scares me the fact that JackCY said you need to by 20+ to get 1 without any defects.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
From the monitors that you suggested guys the Samsung 27CHG70 looks like it offers what I want 27', 2560x1440, 144hz, 1ms MPRT, 3000:1, it doesn't look gamery(although the stand looks stupid) and it also offers HDR and curvature which I consider them bonus.

Although it scares me the fact that JackCY said you need to by 20+ to get 1 without any defects.
Word of advice, as someone who has tried Samsung's modern SVA monitors, I can tell you the contrast isn't always as great as expected from the product sheet because, and also according to most reviews, all models except the 32" 1440p one, poor black uniformity and VA glow make the display look almost as "bad" as IPS or TN. In fact, the very 27" model you're talking about has not been very well portrayed in reviews. Then again, very few high refresh rate monitors have.

I'd try the C32HG70 from a store with a good return policy if I were you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts