Overclock.net banner

Is the Dell 3007WFP-HC monitor worth it for $600

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE IGNORE THE POLL

Ended up not getting the monitor because the seller was a #%$& But thank you guys for all the help! At least I know that if another opportunity arises I will be able to make an educated purchase.

Also I'm still looking for a monitor so If you want to throw out any other suggestions, weather it's 30 inches or not I'm more concerned about the resolution. I will be using the monitor for games/game design. So once again thank you and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
I think you should upgrade to Windows 7.

EDIT: Person who is selling it to you should.

Sorry EDIT again: I just looked this monitor up and I must ask why is this monitor so good?

For work it will be good but you wont be able to do much gaming on it. The responce times are crap 8ms for a TFT is just bad. Here is the specs if your interested. I understand it has a very high resolution but everything else is crap compared to what you can get for that price right now.

This is a pretty old monitor and 600$ seams to me like a huge rip off to you. You would be better off buying a good IPS monitor or a pair of Samsung XL2370's.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by james_ant
View Post

I think you should upgrade to Windows 7.

EDIT: Person who is selling it to you should.

Sorry EDIT again: I just looked this monitor up and I must ask why is this monitor so good?

For work it will be good but you wont be able to do much gaming on it. The responce times are crap 8ms for a TFT is just bad. Here is the specs if your interested. I understand it has a very high resolution but everything else is crap compared to what you can get for that price right now.

This is a pretty old monitor and 600$ seams to me like a huge rip off to you. You would be better off buying a good IPS monitor or a pair of Samsung XL2370's.

so you're recommending they'd spend the money on 2 crappy TN panel monitors instead...

1) the limitations of the eye being it takes the human eye .1 seconds (10ms) to locate and focus on an object means you will not notice ghosting below this. You will notice the image tearing far far more than you will ever notice ghosting.

Here's some real comparisons:

Dell U2311H with 8ms G2G response time

vs. the best TFT LCD monitor for ghosting, the 120Hz Samsung 2233RZ

stolen from the Dell u2311 review here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...11h.htm#gaming

If you gamers care so much about response time and input lag, CRT's are far better in both regards. Old does not means it's bad, far from it. the 2007 Dell monitors are far better than the current edition of Dell monitors.
Please don't talk about what you dunno.

Where else can you can a very decent 30" monitor for that price?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I thought this was supposed to be one of the best 30 inch monitors for gaming because of the no input lag? I'm trying to work on a decision tonight because I would have to go get it tomorrow. So anymore advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Ask with rendition it is as the 'A00' renditions have ghosting issues vs. the 'A01' renditions.

Ignore the above, read this review as it uses exactly the same panel as the DELL3007WFP-HC

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2194/7

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tator Tot
View Post

It's definitely worth it.

You won't find another monitor with that size, resolution, or quality for ANYWHERE close to that price.

It's definitely a great deal.

I personally would rather get a 1080p 32inch TV instead. Then again, I never experienced any resolution higher than 1920x1200. Is it THAT awesome?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by listen to remix
View Post

It's definitely a great deal.

I personally would rather get a 1080p 32inch TV instead. Then again, I never experienced any resolution higher than 1920x1200. Is it THAT awesome?

For Multi-tasking yes.

If you only game at full screen, and want to spend a good chunk of money on just a TV/Monitor for that.

Then a solid 1080P 32" TV would be nice, but pixel density wouldn't be the same, and thus wouldn't look as sharp.

I normally game Window'd mode and just play games and multi-task at the same time.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Holy crap. I just bought one, used, no dead pixels and my sales rep claims it is in perfect condition and with a 90-day warranty. The price was $650, since its out of state I avoided sales tax too. I thought I got a great deal. $600 is even better, don't hesitate one bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is your experience with it Mygaffer? Not sure if your a gamer, but if you are how does it look in games any noticeable differences from your Samsung? Blurrier, etc?

·
Just another nerd
5,889 Posts
You'll need a beefy video card setup (SLI or Xfire) to play games on a 2560x1600 monitor, especially if you play newer games like BC2. At that res, AA is almost not necessary due to the pixel density. Also, you will be able to use Aero Snap in Windows 7 and display ANY two web pages side by side. Each half of the screen will be 1280x800, the same res as many whole laptop screens.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
View Post

How is your experience with it Mygaffer? Not sure if your a gamer, but if you are how does it look in games any noticeable differences from your Samsung? Blurrier, etc?

Come ask me next week, according to my tracking info it left Des Moines today on its way to sunny CA.

I have a 20" Dell UltraSharp, its an IPS panel as well, of course a different panel. It has an 8ms access time though and many similar characteristics.

Gaming on it has been spectacular. That is why I was looking for a larger IPS panel. I used to think my sig rig monitor was great, TN panel, 26", 1920x1200 and it looked great. Well after popping this older 20" Dell next to it the T260 looks like poop.

There have zero input lag or ghosting issues. Zero. That is in fast paced games too, like Bioshock and other shooters.

If you want I can tell you about the 3007wfp-hc when I get it next week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheyster
View Post

You'll need a beefy video card setup (SLI or Xfire) to play games on a 2560x1600 monitor, especially if you play newer games like BC2.

Not really true. Most games will play just fine with a single high end card. Only a small handful of games will require lower settings. Just go check some reviews. I plan to buy a 6970, or whatever the replacement to the 5870 ends up being, to drive my 30".

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post
so you're recommending they'd spend the money on 2 crappy TN panel monitors instead...

1) the limitations of the eye being it takes the human eye .1 seconds (10ms) to locate and focus on an object means you will not notice ghosting below this. You will notice the image tearing far far more than you will ever notice ghosting.

Here's some real comparisons:

Dell U2311H with 8ms G2G response time

vs. the best TFT LCD monitor for ghosting, the 120Hz Samsung 2233RZ

stolen from the Dell u2311 review here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...11h.htm#gaming

If you gamers care so much about response time and input lag, CRT's are far better in both regards. Old does not means it's bad, far from it. the 2007 Dell monitors are far better than the current edition of Dell monitors.
Please don't talk about what you dunno.

Where else can you can a very decent 30" monitor for that price?
Edit: congrats op!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bump! keep those suggestions rolling in guys they help when making a big purchase decision. Also updated with a poll.

@Spykerv please don't thread jack, thank you.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hey man i say do it! I am looking for one so if u dont do it i will take it off your hands! And this hoges bogaus crap about needing a SLI with two 480's for it are people who have never played on a 2560x1600... I have asked this question and now am looking for one because i was looking for a 1920x1200 but then decided i want a IPS panel i have had enough of the Crap TN panels man.... That being said i want the highgest rez and the most beautiful picture in a game or movie and you have the right IDea i used mys schools 30" lcd's it is the way to go we hooked up a few and they just stopmed the crap out them but with a 8800GTX we could max everything out on it .. (this is back about a year and a hlaf ago!) but then now adays if u want SYNTHETIC scores as high as you can u might have to CF or SLI but like a year and a half ago as long s u have 1gb ddr5 ram on your 5850 or higher or 460 or higher man ... u are going to be fine. Go for it bro!

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Oh my god do it. For that price, even if you don't want it, sell it for profit. I have the U2711 and it's amazing @ 2560 x 1440, you won't regret it, the colour depth and visuals are just way beyond any other monitor out there.

Go and pick it up.

Right now.

Edit; Wait, this is the IPS panel one, right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
Oh my god do it. For that price, even if you don't want it, sell it for profit. I have the U2711 and it's amazing @ 2560 x 1440, you won't regret it, the colour depth and visuals are just way beyond any other monitor out there.

Go and pick it up.

Right now.

Edit; Wait, this is the IPS panel one, right?
Not sure, I'm not real monitor savvy I just wanted it for the resolution I know it's the HC model so thats a + how can I check if it's the IPS one?

@Spykerv No problem

1 - 20 of 46 Posts