Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!
I own a Logitech Z5500 speakers and i want to upgrade my Creative Audigy 4 soundcard which i think it's absolite.
I have problems with drivers in Windows 7 and probably i think i am not getting enough from my speakers.
I was looking down at an Asus XONAR-DX , which is 80 bucks, but i also saw that Asus has a ASUS Xonar D2 which is more expensive ( 180$ ) and i was wondering if it was worth the extra money?
In the creative departament, i saw Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional which is at an impressive price of 150$, similar to the Xonar D2.
A cheaper creative would be the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium model @ 100$.
I will use my speakers mainly for Gaming/HD BLU-RAY movies and Music.
Surround is important for me. And i am using W7.
So what do you guys think i should go for?
Thanks in Advance !

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The z-5500s have their own onboard decoder, so you actually don't really need a sound card.

In fact, if your motherboard has an optical out, I'd just use that. I cannot tell the difference between optical and analog outputting from my Ht Omega Claro.

Optical, the soundcard is doing nothing, just passing the bit stream
Analog, the soundcard is using it's own decoder and then passing the frequency straight to the speakers.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dotar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel View Post
The z-5500s have their own onboard decoder, so you actually don't really need a sound card.

In fact, if your motherboard has an optical out, I'd just use that. I cannot tell the difference between optical and analog outputting from my Ht Omega Claro.

Optical, the soundcard is doing nothing, just passing the bit stream
Analog, the soundcard is using it's own decoder and then passing the frequency straight to the speakers.
are you serious saying i should use the onboard soundcard of my speakers?
Well i heard ppl with my speakers saying how great things sound on their new soundcards etc.
Besides that, i noticed that all the new Soundcards will connect to your speakers only via Digitabl cable - coax ( optical )
This means that i would waste my money on the soundcards because the sound will be processed by the speakers anyway ?

What about EAX and the sound effects from game and so on?
How is it possible for my onboard soundcard from the speakers to handle that?
:-s
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
What sound cards can only connect via optical?

I used to use analog, and when I switched from onboard to my sound card, I was blown away by the increase in sound quality. I'm guessing that is what most people are talking about.
But now I use optical for the speakers, and analog for my headphones.

My sound card encodes all audio into either Dolby or DTS before passing it to the speakers. But I think even onboard will do that? I'm not really sure, but I know that most of the time the audio source is already in one of those formats, so the soundcard is wasting its time.

I have no comment about EAX, since my card only supports 2.0

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Xonar DS is $49 is enough for your Z5500s, The only thing is, it only have DTS interactive and not DD live. So you will use DTS interactive to encode 5.1 analog audio to digital. So your games will output in 5.1 over digital.

As for EAX, Xonar series DSGX 2.5 function also let you emulate eax5 its not perfect but it works good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I would get the Asus XONAR-DX , heard good things from this card

1 - 7 of 7 Posts