Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im updating my system to X299 already have the chip 7920x and Im changing the loop design again as well due to new EK FE waterblocks for the GPUs.

But Im having a tough time deciding between the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME and the ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX. Was hoping to get some thoughts on which way to go. Im not a RGB guy but I like the extreme has the 10G Lan but the APEX comes with a better EPS 8x8 setup and I like the simplicity of the board alot as I only run 32GB of DDR4 anyways.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

If want to see what the MB is going in this is my build. http://www.overclock.net/forum/380-...selabs-thw10-intel-6950x-w-dual-titan-xp.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I've been x299 board hunting as well. I got a bone to pick with asus when it comes to mobos. So this x299 board will be my first non asus board. In all honestly if you want the best x299 board and you only need 4 slots, you should be looking at the x299 dark evga not the rampage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been x299 board hunting as well. I got a bone to pick with asus when it comes to mobos. So this x299 board will be my first non asus board. In all honestly if you want the best x299 board and you only need 4 slots, you should be looking at the x299 dark evga not the rampage.
Thank you I would get the Dark but there is no monoblock for it so not an option for me sadly.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thank you I would get the Dark but there is no monoblock for it so not an option for me sadly.
Watch buildzoid's breakdown of the dark. The block and memory slot situation is what is stopping me. However, it seems the vrm would not need to be blocked. If you were to stick to these 2 choices, I would just go with the apex. With the rampage your paying more for features that may not even work due to buggy software etc. Seems to be an asus trend lol. I think the important things you'd want like pcie lane switches etc is already on the apex.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watch buildzoid's breakdown of the dark. The block and memory slot situation is what is stopping me. However, it seems the vrm would not need to be blocked.
Its a incredible performing and looking board would buy it in a second if they had a damn monoblock for it, I just emailed EK and asked if anything for it coming I'll wait and see what they say.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Its a incredible performing and looking board would buy it in a second if they had a damn monoblock for it, I just emailed EK and asked if anything for it coming I'll wait and see what they say.
Check with bitspower. It seems with x399 and x299 they've been pumping out blocks way faster than EK. Sadly, wouldnt surprise me if they were much better too lol. Coming from a person who has like 6 ek mono blocks.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Yeah, the X299 Dark is the only modern board with a real VRM heat sink instead of a solid block of metal trying to be a heat sink.

Mainboard manufacturers need to clue in and get back to the old ways in this regard -- high-performance boards used to have real heat sinks with lots of fins and sometimes heat pipes too. All X299 and X399 boards should have this.

I would have no problem running the Dark without a monoblock. I wish the X399 Taichi had a Dark-style heat sink -- I'd be running the Watercool Heatkiller IV TR4 Pro block instead of the EK ASRock X399 monoblock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the X299 Dark is the only modern board with a real VRM heat sink instead of a solid block of metal trying to be a heat sink.

Mainboard manufacturers need to clue in and get back to the old ways in this regard -- high-performance boards used to have real heat sinks with lots of fins and sometimes heat pipes too. All X299 and X399 boards should have this.

I would have no problem running the Dark without a monoblock. I wish the X399 Taichi had a Dark-style heat sink -- I'd be running the Watercool Heatkiller IV TR4 Pro block instead of the EK ASRock X399 monoblock.
Thanks Madman I just watch the PCB analysis by Buildzoid re the EVGA Dark pretty insightful stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts