Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, for those of you that caught my last thread on RAM recommendations I thank you for the help. I want to try to convince him to rebuild and get the **** away from Dell. I figure if he gets the Corsair XMS RAM that you all recommended, which he sounds like he will, all he should need is a MOBO and PSU......keeping his current CPU - Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (21 x 133) - and HD. <br />
<br />
I've got an old nvidia 5700 AGP graphics card I'll prolly give him so If anyone has a good recommendation of a MOBO with AGP for this Setup or any other ideas....well it would be rewarded gratefully. Keep in mind he doesen't have a lot of money right now so please don't suggest those new Conroe CPU's (even though I persoinally think it would be a great idea). Also keep in mind that I have only worked with AMD and I will be the one helping him so I am virtually clueless on Intel platforms.....so this will be a learning experience for me as well.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
whats he wanna do with the build?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>thehybridpyro</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">whats he wanna do with the build?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Actually, I "think" he's interested in building. I'm trying to convince him. I'd really want to start him out on a decent mobo and PSU. He currently uses it for the internet mostly, but he does play a lot of Playstation games so he may eventually want to start gaming on it. I think he'd like to online game with me since we used to be so competetive against each other on playstation, but now live 90 miles away from each other.<br />
<br />
Keep in mind, he's po', like Kenny on Southpark po'.......

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yeah, Go for new everything lol, The case is worthless, HDD is worthless, Mobo, PSU etc are worthless

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>BenHagerty</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Yeah, Go for new everything lol, The case is worthless, HDD is worthless, Mobo, PSU etc are worthless</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yeah, but I don't think they are "worthless", just not up to our standards. I'm thinking upgrade a little at a time keeping in mind options for future upgrades.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
trash everything, except the CPU, and memory and Optical drives<br><br>
and sell them

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
haha oh well, Linux is free!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>rabidgnome229</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">If he does he will need a new XP license. Prebuilts come with OEM licenses good for one mobo</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>dont you have friends to let you install XP?

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>thehybridpyro</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">dont you have friends to let you install XP?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>not with retail licenses. all of my friends got oem compys

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>ruusky</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">dell cases are useless if he wants to buy new hardware to it</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Thanx, I've got an extra case I can give to him. <br />
<br />
Guys, I really thank you for the suggestions, but Please, Please, please understand I'm only looking for a new Mobo and PSU for him for now. Not case, HD, Monitor, Stereo, CD Burner, girlfriend, facelift or any other thing. Just Mobo and PSU. Those are his 2 absolute weakest links right now and I'd really like to get him updated a little at a time for the time being. He doesen't need, want, and can't afford the newest biggest thing out there right now (I'm sure that will come later, if he upgrades these for now), so what's junky to us will prolly be fine for him. <br />
<br />
Mobo for Pentium 4 @ 2800 mhz, and a good PSU for Intel-based systems (I like my sunbeam and I figure one of those should work fine)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
its a northy? and is it ht or not? ill be honest i didnt read the other thread but if he wants a 'ok'setup,but not for full graphics detal settings on games. out of what he has that can be acomplished i think. my 2.4 still plays all the newest games just fine. if its a 478 socket i would suggest looking in the 478 apreciation thread. i found lots of good stuff in there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts