Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so as it stands right now, I have this 3-drive RAID0 running my OS. I'm looking to go RAID with two Intel G2 SSD's, but I don't have enough cash right now to front $500 for two 80GB SSD's so I'll pick one up and put my games on the other drives. My C:\\ is at 100GB as of right now, with no easily recoverable space. I need 160GB of space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
I would save up for the 160gb intel g2.

DON'T RAID 2 80GB ones.

Intel doesn't support trim in raid arrays, and not having trim is unacceptable. Also, for an OS drive, sequential transfers are not as important as random access times and IOPS which raid doesn't improve.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
I would save up for the 160gb intel g2.

DON'T RAID 2 80GB ones.

Intel doesn't support trim in raid arrays, and not having trim is unacceptable. Also, for an OS drive, sequential transfers are not as important as random access times and IOPS which raid doesn't improve.
I may wait until the end of Q1 2010 to make a move into the SSD arena- maybe Intel will implement RAID in their drivers then.

Essentially, there's no point in purchasing just one 160GB drive when you can boost sequential reads without moving the IOPS anywhere, for 20 bucks more. I don't see any reason why NOT to.
 

·
how two spel
Joined
·
3,036 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn View Post
I may wait until the end of Q1 2010 to make a move into the SSD arena- maybe Intel will implement RAID in their drivers then.

Essentially, there's no point in purchasing just one 160GB drive when you can boost sequential reads without moving the IOPS anywhere, for 20 bucks more. I don't see any reason why NOT to.
May be a good idea, not sure how long Intel will take to release those drives. It would only provide more business for them if they can get it out ASAP!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysdexik View Post
May be a good idea, not sure how long Intel will take to release those drives. It would only provide more business for them if they can get it out ASAP!
Not drives, but drivers. It's all software based, and I don't think it requires new hardware at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,344 Posts
my 1 ssd is faster then your 3 hdd in raid0. try 1 ssd before you buy 2 for a raid setup.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn View Post
I may wait until the end of Q1 2010 to make a move into the SSD arena- maybe Intel will implement RAID in their drivers then.

Essentially, there's no point in purchasing just one 160GB drive when you can boost sequential reads without moving the IOPS anywhere, for 20 bucks more. I don't see any reason why NOT to.
How about this....

Buy one 160GB X25M since they have 100MBps write (80GB has 70MBps), wait until the prices drop and Intel fixes the RAID TRIM support and snag another one for 320GB, 500MBps read/200MBps write awesomeness.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top