Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying either: the Asus UX31 (link) or the Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 (link)

What I'll be using it for:
-taking notes in class (economics program, so a mix of writing and drawing charts/graphs... the ability of the Tablet to draw charts with my finger is a bonus here)
-analyzing stock/currency/commodity charts (huge bonus for the Ultrabook since charting programs for Android OS are verrrrry basic. another bonus for the Ultrabook is the much larger 13inch screen vs 10inch: very useful for analyzing charts)
-web surfing (small bonus to the Tablet since it's slightly easier using fingers to browse rather than a track-pad)

Other notes:
-the tablet is half the price of the Ultrabook... huge consideration
-the Ultrabook looks gorgeous... pretty big consideration
-both are very light, which is important because I'll be lugging this thing all over
-a friend tells me that drawing graphs/charts on a Tablet will still be very difficult when considering all the labels and detail I have to write all over it... he's saying that I'm going to end up using pencil and paper for drawing graphs/charts in the end. and if this is true, then the Tablet has lost all of its value to me.

EDIT: oh wow, there's also the Samsung Series 7 Slate. Comes with Windows instead of Android, and comes with a pen so drawing charts/graphs should be easier... it is pricey though, at roughly $1,400 for the version that includes a keyboard. EDIT2: ahh but the keyboard is a separate bluetooth keyboard so it's missing the laptop form factor that even the Asus Tablet has. which makes it difficult if I want to use this on my lap!

EDIT3: wow I'm kind of pissed off now, the Samsung Series 7 Slate would have been perfect if it had a true laptop attachment rather than that bluetooth keyboard... wow...

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
It looks to me you actually need a laptop. A tablet is a media consumption device, I use mine less and less often and then mainly for movies or where I'm away in vacation. I find it hard to think you'll have any luck drawing graphs of sufficient detail with your finger on a small-ish 10" screen. The Transformer might be a good choice it taking notes is marginal, otherwise a laptop would be better. The price is very different, but so is the processing power, storage capacity and usability. My
2cents.gif

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp;15288672
It looks to me you actually need a laptop. A tablet is a media consumption device, I use mine less and less often and then mainly for movies or where I'm away in vacation. I find it hard to think you'll have any luck drawing graphs of sufficient detail with your finger on a small-ish 10" screen. The Transformer might be a good choice it taking notes is marginal, otherwise a laptop would be better. The price is very different, but so is the processing power, storage capacity and usability. My
2cents.gif
Oh I totally agree that you can't really draw with accuracy using your finger, but both the Asus Transformer and the Samsung Series 7 Slate can use a stylus pen for writing. the Samsung is much more effective at this but the fact that the form factor doesn't "transform" into a true laptop makes it a no go
frown.gif

EDIT: so far, I'm leaning towards the Ultrabook. I'll just draw graphs on paper, and then refer to each graph when writing notes in MS Word...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
laptop>tablet i think thats enough to be said. In my opinion a laptop will do more for you than a tablet ever will. I really dont get the whole tablet thing....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack;15288914
laptop>tablet i think thats enough to be said. In my opinion a laptop will do more for you than a tablet ever will. I really dont get the whole tablet thing....
I agree with that totally. but we're slowly starting to see devices like the Samsung Series 7 Slate which has the power of any laptop (Core i5) but the functionality of a Tablet. I suppose I just want a laptop that's super thin and light with decent horsepower that also has precise touch screen functionality.

I'm starting to realize what I want will take another year or two to exist. That timeline makes sense I suppose; Windows 8 is supposed to be fantastic with touch screen capability.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
With Windows 8 you might just get what you need. I played a bit with the Developper Preview of W8 and Metro looks amazing for touchscreens, serviceable with a mouse. What you need is a W8 tablet in a form factor like the Samsung Series 7 Slate, but that's at least a year off. It might have potential to get a W7 tablet now and slap on W8 Beta. The disadvantages as of now is W7 on a tablet isn't such a great experience, and Win tablets with laptop parts are heavy and are actually worse than using a regular ultraportable with a touchscreen mounted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts