Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are the two choices:
Nvidia GTX 460
I thought the clock speeds were pretty impressive, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-076-_-Product
This product I'm getting is actually $230

The other choice is Nvidia GTX 470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-051-_-Product
This item I'm getting is $250 which I'm getting from craigslist, but I'm not sure I should get it due to complaints about the heat problems. However with the fan it is supposedly 10C lower than stock.

Can you guys help me decide? Thanks, I'm new btw

**I plan on over-clocking which either one I get

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
I would go for the 470. Heat or not, it is still better.

If Nvidia thought that It was getting to warm, they wouldn't have released them like that

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Lots of people will say get the 460. and i agree with them mostly. its priced so well its hard not to buy.
But I would say grab the 470. Always get the best single GPU you can afford. that and the 470 is just more powerful. For $20 more than a 460? go for it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I know what to get now, I just got to make sure the seller's not selling me a defected product
By the way, what is "folding"?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
470 hands down, Now 470 is a good pick i woul take off cooler. and replace the paste on it . droped temps of my 285 and 480 on stock cooler by 10deg c. Also if you think it runs hott Put fan speed on 70% .

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Nividia and releasing cards that get hot. I read an article on the GX2 and the card was acknowledged to be a hot runner,in fact they ran so hot that either one of the manufactures or Nividia itself simply issued a warning not to touch hot places with your hand. My point is, you can't use the logic of "if it ran so hot it was dangerous it would not be released for sale".

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWrir
View Post

Lots of people will say get the 460. and i agree with them mostly. its priced so well its hard not to buy.
But I would say grab the 470. Always get the best single GPU you can afford. that and the 470 is just more powerful. For $20 more than a 460? go for it.

If you're folding 24/7 with the card, the increased electricity cost of the 470 isn't worth it, especially considering the PPD it will give you isn't much more than a 460.

OP: If you're buying this mostly for folding, why not get the 786mb version and save $50-60? The PPD is nearly identical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleslikejohn
View Post

I think I know what to get now, I just got to make sure the seller's not selling me a defected product
By the way, what is "folding"?

Wait. What? This is the folding section, why did you post your question here?

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Moved to the nVidia forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts