Overclock.net banner

Help me figure out what I need to upgrade!

844 views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Ragsters 
#1 ·
I have $200 in paypal. I can sell my current cpu and have a little more then $300 for a cpu upgrade. I can also sell my monitor for $150 to a friend and have $350 for a new monitor. I could keep my current cpu and moniotor and use my $200 and buy....? What should I do?

#3 ·
If you want to upgrade now, go Quad (trust me, once you go quad you never go back). I went from an e7300 @ 3.6GHz to a Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz and let me tell you, it was a nice upgrade. Go get a Q9650 or Q9550. Both are great quads and are known to hit 4.0GHz. The Q9650 is known to hit 4.0+ with ease and the right cooling.

#4 ·
To me both options are good - Personally I would favor the quad processor but it depends on what all you do. The E8400 is a beast of a processor and can plow through tasks with ease. If you do need more "oomph" to multitask than definitely go with the quad. If you do opt for a new monitor you can easily get a 24"-28" and enjoy a larger screen. (examples for a monitor are the Asus 25.5" is less than 300 on the egg, and if you have a Costco membership the Hanns-G 28" screen is 320 on the costco.com site)

#5 ·
I would upgrade to a Q9550. The only difference between the Q9550 and the Q9650 is the multiplier.

When I had my Q9550 it was like a dream come true. I upgraded from my aging Q6600 and was very impressed. The extra L2 cache and the increased multiplier really made a difference. I had my Q9550 running at 4.25 24/7 at 34C idle.

I say go QUAD and get a Q9550. You will not be sorry!

#7 ·
Thanks a lot guys this is some real good info. Oh by the way if I choose quad I will go to microcenter next weekend to do so.

#8 ·
I wish I could find a decent 24" monitor for under $250 and then I could buy both the cpu and the monitor. Any ideas?

#9 ·
Look for refurbished or used monitors (that are at least in decent shape). I got my LG 24" (1920x1200, PVA panel) from Overstock for $175 shipped. You just have to find the right deal at the right time.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleTech
View Post

Look for refurbished or used monitors (that are at least in decent shape). I got my LG 24" (1920x1200, PVA panel) from Overstock for $175 shipped. You just have to find the right deal at the right time.

Wow! That is a good deal.

#11 ·
OK, so I couldn't wait a couple more hours. I am making my decision soon.

#12 ·
Can anybody else help me. I need to make a decision by this weekend.

#13 ·

#14 ·
haha, i mean, check out your local craigslist, different for sale forums, like [H]
i havent seen monitors 24inches on ocn. and make sure u check the full systems section

EDIT: found one for u, it will go quick so u better jump on it

pmed u just in case someone sneakily will take it hahah

#15 ·
Anymore input?

#16 ·
i am going to Microcenter in two days. Should I pick up the q9550 or not? Please help.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Personally I loved going from 1680x1050 to 1080p. But then again I still use both hehe. I think it depends what you're going to be doing, if you can use the extra cores of a quad then by all means go for it, otherwise go for the larger screen real estate. My advice-get hooked up with multiple monitors, it is hands down one of the best things I've done.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moocha88
View Post

Personally I loved going from 1680x1050 to 1080p. But then again I still use both hehe. I think it depends what you're going to be doing, if you can use the extra cores of a quad then by all means go for it, otherwise go for the larger screen real estate. My advice-get hooked up with multiple monitors, it is hands down one of the best things I've done.

Thanks for the info! The problem is that I can't find my monitor anywhere for a decent price.

#21 ·
You could get a nonmatching monitor, my 1080p monitor only has 30 vertical pixel difference, I don't even notice it. I've used to have 2 lcds and a crt hooked up before the crt broke.

#22 ·
To be honest, I'd actually say go for a better monitor in this case.

You sell your current monitor, raise around $350, get a monitor like this, and never look back.

I would go for a CPU upgrade over a monitor upgrade in most upgrade situations, but in your case, I think it would be better to save up a bit more, and then get a new motherboard and CPU completely. As of now, the E8400 is still a pretty strong CPU.

#24 ·
Thanks guys. Anyone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.