Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to get an i7 920. I plan on watercooling the cpu and gpu, gpu will be a 8800gts until I get more money. Anyways, I want to get a good OC'ing board for as cheap as possible but not lose quality.
I know lots of people have the P6T deluxe, is it that much better than the P6T?
I may do Crossfire or SLI but only a max of 2 cards, so quad sli is not important to me.

Also suggest some ram if you can. I am on a budget and would like to save a dollar where I can, so combo deals are great. I am getting the i7 at micro center.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I chose the P6T Deluxe because of its more robust cooling and additional fan headers over the vanilla board. You can get the v2 of this board (ditches the SAS controller that hardly anyone's going to use anyway) for about $290

The P6T (non-Deluxe) is $250 though and this is one instance where the differences between an Asus vanilla model and its Deluxe counterpart are few. Both boards are covered for one year under Asus' Premium Service which is similar to XFX/EVGA's Cross-ship RMA. Pretty smooth process should you ever need it.

Also worth mentioning is the P6T WS board. I don't know much about it other than it's been proven to be a heck of an overclocker. This one would fall under the standard Asus 3-year.

The EVGA board is probably the most popular so far. It has that nice EVGA warranty, tech support, and step-up going for it but some aspects of the layout are poor IMO; one being the lack of a fan header on the back plane. Other boards at the same price point are more feature laden.

The Gigabyte EX58-UD5 is really nice at it's price-point. 10 SATA, great layout, above-par chipset/mosfet cooling, and pretty lights if that's your thing.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahmateen1234
View Post

How about the Foxconn Bloodrage or Renaissance?

Bloodrage is an awesome board, Similar OCs to the Asus Republic of Gamers (ROG) x58 board (Forgot the name)

The Renaissance is a "stripped down" blood rage of sorts. Not quiet as fine tuned and over the top. But still a perfect contender. The only reason I do not recommend those boards as they are not very friendly to people new to the QPI style of overclocking. And Foxconn BIOS have more options than an all you can eat buffee on their Quantum Force boards.

So be ready to take on a chalange at Overclocking if you pick up the Renaissance or BloodRage.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahmateen1234 View Post
I am pretty set on this combo now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.163544
Asus P6T deluxe and OCZ Gold 3x2gb DDR3 1600 for $395 - $20 MIR = $375

+rep for both of you

+brownie pt to you MNiceGuy for being from MN! MN rules, I think I am moving back this summer!!
lol thanks! MN will rule even more when we finally get through the rest of this winter!

Good choice on the board. The P6T Deluxe is a good overall contender; very balanced. It's pretty feature laden and has been rock solid stable since the first time I fired it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts