Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right section for this thread. As the title says I am trying to find the bottleneck in my rig. You can see my setup in my sig, I use it primarily for gaming and while older games run very very well, I do not get the greatest performance is some newer games.

Crysis and Crysis warhead both run at about an average of 24 fps with all settings high, except shadows set to medium, in dx9 mode with no programs running in the background and no AA or AF 1650x1050. Other games like ut3 with all setting maxed run at a higher ~50 fps average but dips frequently below 20 fps. Even tf2 bogs a bit with 4x or higher AA. l4d and fallout3 run quite well. HL2:e2 runs 60 fps with 16x AA.

So from looking at my pc specs what would you say is my bottleneck? I suspect my processor and/or ram speed. Any ideas on what I could do to improve my setup with out starting from scratch?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
ur RAM and CPU.

the 8800GT is the same as the 9800GT, bascially. i have the 9800GT and it has destroyed the games i play on it. no problems.

try to OC ur RAM and CPU if possible, or replace them

RAM is cheap as dirt and u can get AM2 CPUs cheap too.

AMD 64 X2 CPU ~$50-$65

2gb RAM ~$35

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
GPU will give you the greatest increase. But CPU and RAM are not helping either. The reason I say GPU is less because I like the CPU and RAM better than your GPU but because the GPU is of greater importance in what mention.

I would further question if you truly even have a real bottleneck as in it's proper usage means a component that is slowing down the performance of the system and yours is just doing it's capabilities.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samster25
View Post

get a new cpu and ram i had a x2 5000 oced at 3.0, then i got a e8400 at stock 3.0 my 3dmarks06 scores jumped like 2000 points

intel will do that for you.

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
Don't get me wrong -- the 4800+ is an awesome processor, I have a 4200+ in one of my rigs. It might be time for an upgrade, though. A new Athlon X2 BE or Pentium Dual-Core would be an awesome budget choice with quite a bit of overclocking room. A new X2 might leave you able to use your existing mobo and RAM, depending. You have enough RAM, and DDR2-533 is still more than decent.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

GPU will give you the greatest increase. But CPU and RAM are not helping either. The reason I say GPU is less because I like the CPU and RAM better than your GPU but because the GPU is of greater importance in what mention.

I would further question if you truly even have a real bottleneck as in it's proper usage means a component that is slowing down the performance of the system and yours is just doing it's capabilities.

his 8800GT is fine, same card as my 9800GT, just rebranded. its not his GPU slowing him down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam3s
View Post

intel will do that for you.

the E8400 has a lot more cache and is much more expensive. the X2 series and the Core 2 Duo E8x00 series are not even the same bracket, u cant compare them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust
View Post

Hope this is the right section for this thread. As the title says I am trying to find the bottleneck in my rig. You can see my setup in my sig, I use it primarily for gaming and while older games run very very well, I do not get the greatest performance is some newer games.

Crysis and Crysis warhead both run at about an average of 24 fps with all settings high, except shadows set to medium, in dx9 mode with no programs running in the background and no AA or AF 1650x1050. Other games like ut3 with all setting maxed run at a higher ~50 fps average but dips frequently below 20 fps. Even tf2 bogs a bit with 4x or higher AA. l4d and fallout3 run quite well. HL2:e2 runs 60 fps with 16x AA.

So from looking at my pc specs what would you say is my bottleneck? I suspect my processor and/or ram speed. Any ideas on what I could do to improve my setup with out starting from scratch?

my old CPU ran my old 17" fine, then i got this 22" and i could barely run games. my CPU was bottlenecking badly.

one way to check if its ur CPU is to change teh resolution of the game. if u change the resolution of the game and there is no difference in the FPS, then its ur CPU. if it was the GPU bottlenecking, ur FPS would go up witht he lower resolution

also, bring up task manager (alt+ctrl+del) before u play ur games. then minimize after u have been playing for a while and look at the activity graphs. if one or both of the cores on ur CPU are at 100% for most of the time ur playing, or near 100%, thats ur bottleneck.

ur GPU can only run as fast as the CPU will let it, and vice versa.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

his 8800GT is fine, same card as my 9800GT, just rebranded. its not his GPU slowing him down.

the E8400 has a lot more cache and is much more expensive. the X2 series and the Core 2 Duo E8x00 series are not even the same bracket, u cant compare them.

but its still awesome. i just traded my e8400 for a q6600 with 1.2 vid

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

I know what your saying, but I do have a bottleneck. My brother has a q6600 with 2 gigs ddr800 ram and a 9600gt superclocked edition and he get MUCH MUCH better performance then I do across the board (he is running xp tho and I am running vista 32). My GPU is a little better then his, yet he is getting much better performance then me.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samster25
View Post

but its still awesome. i just traded my e8400 for a q6600 with 1.2 vid

yes, its a great CPU, if i had the cash i would have gotten an E8400, but i OC'ed my E5200 and i never notice problems when gaming. when i start to do video editing and music encoding with this new rig, i will find where the E8400 would have made the difference.

but back on topic.

to the OP

what motherboard do u have, specifically the socket type and the RAM speed supported. we could find you replacements to fit nearly any budget

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust
View Post

I know what your saying, but I do have a bottleneck. My brother has a q6600 with 2 gigs ddr800 ram and a 9600gt superclocked edition and he get MUCH MUCH better performance then I do across the board (he is running xp tho and I am running vista 32). My GPU is a little better then his, yet he is getting much better performance then me.

thats cause ur CPU and RAM are bottlenecking
specially ur CPU, imho

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

my old CPU ran my old 17" fine, then i got this 22" and i could barely run games. my CPU was bottlenecking badly.

one way to check if its ur CPU is to change teh resolution of the game. if u change the resolution of the game and there is no difference in the FPS, then its ur CPU. if it was the GPU bottlenecking, ur FPS would go up witht he lower resolution

also, bring up task manager (alt+ctrl+del) before u play ur games. then minimize after u have been playing for a while and look at the activity graphs. if one or both of the cores on ur CPU are at 100% for most of the time ur playing, or near 100%, thats ur bottleneck.

ur GPU can only run as fast as the CPU will let it, and vice versa.

Bingo! We found my bottleneck. Playing warhead at 1650x1050 resolution I lowered it 1440x900 and my fps stayed the same, lowered it again same fps. Would another x2 give me some legs? My mobo only supports up to a 5600 x2. Otherwise I might make a q6600 build this summer if prices continue to drop.

I can upgrade to ddr2 800 ram and any am2 89w chip, 5600x2+ I believe is the highest =(.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
my CPU bottlenecked from 800x600 to 1680x1050, it was an old Athlon XP lol i had the same problems.

the X2 5000 BE would allow u to OC well, or the 5600 X2, both of these would help ur bottlenecking problem. get some DDR2 800 while ur at it.

u can do that upgrade for less than $100. give us more info on ur mobo, make, model, socket type (thinking AM2?) and RAM supported (prolly DDR2 800)

that, or wait it out and build an E8400/Q6600 later on when u save up

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
We'll you are really held back, all across the board.

You should probably look at getting new RAM + CPU + Board.

The rest is alright, and will do fine. But those current objects hold you back alot.

You should look at getting a 780G or 790GX board, as those are pretty cheap.

DDR2 1066 2x2gb with cas5

& Either an Phenom x3 or a 7750BE

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
since he has an nvidia gpu, he might want to go with an nvidia 750a or 780a board if he wants to SLI later.

and most AMD boards w/ AM2 supported DDR2 800 mainly, few went to 1066. he also said he has a 32bit system, which wont show 4gb of ram, so no need to go over a 2gb (2x1gb) kit

if he buys a new board w/ AM2+ the X3 or the X2 7750 would be great choices.

whats your upgrade budget?

good night all, ill check back in tha mornin

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At my gf's house now so I cannot look it up, I am not sure what exact make a model my mobo is but, it's HP pc, but I checked the hp website and x2 5600+ and ddr2 800 are the best I can place in it.

My upgrade budget is ~$150 now, but if I wait a little bit I should have a profit sharing check coming down the line that would build me a nice new rig if I carry over my gpu and such, then it would be ~$500. I can build an e8400 build 4 gigs of ram for less then that now, so maybe I will wait till then and build it.

Mostly I am curious if getting 5600+ x2 and swapping to 4gb ddr 800 ram would be enough of a bump to keep me up to date, or is the e8400/q6600 build really just that much better?

I too am off to bed soon, thanks for the all the responses. Check back tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
i built my sig rig for $519. i already had a case, OS, DVDRW drive, and a powersupply. since u already have a video card, that will save u like $140.

u can also re-use some other things in ur current computer like the CD drives (if they fit in a regular ATX case, some big manufacturers have proprietary stuff thats really annoying), hard drive (if its Sata, thats good, if its IDE, i recommend upgrading to Sata), video card, powersupply and the case if u want to mess with HP. there are cheap cases that are nice tho.

there is no sense in getting 4Gb of ram cause u have a 32bit OS, unlss ur planning on buying a new 64bit OS

i would wait a bit and build an E8400 w/ 2gb DDr2 1066 and a nice mobo with a P45 for 750i/780i chipset. intel is miles ahead of AMD right now, unfortunately cause i have a soft spot in my heart for AMD.
although, for the price of an E8x00 or the Q6600, u can get really nice AMD stuff. its ur call. my vote is for E8400, or the little E5200 taht could, mines a beast right now. only $72 for my E5200 and it doesnt show any signs of bottlenecking at 1680x1050 w/ highest details on WoW and Americas Army (similar to CoD)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts