Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have an asus mobo and it has an overclocking program so it will autom aticly overclock when its understress to let it catchup with itself. well when i go into the bios i try to do it manualy and i would set it to be overclocked 20% at all times. NOTE* i have seen it overclocked to 30% with no problem many times. now when i do this i also upo my voltage on the CPU i stick the ram voltage and FSB on auto, and when i try to restart my system hangs. my 6600GT is overclocked just fine i just have a little trouble keeping it overclocked permenantly. why?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Maybe it is too high of a vcore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the asus P5GDC-V DELUXE a vcore too high will make it hang? i did not know that. if my setting are on auto will that have a negative effect on the computers ability to overclock? will it select its own voltage levels and be a happy peice of garbage? i cant tell right now cuz im at work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the system seems to hang on even the smallest over clock 3% will do it. any explination?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Maybe your psu is going.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sounds like ram issues, or maybe the software utility, I was stuck at about 10% for some time with 1-1 ratios is bios, and about 15 in the software, set a divider ditched the software program and used bios only. I pulled a 26% overclock with simple ram adjustments. Keep pounding on it and youll find the sweet spot.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
I would presume you have already locked your PCI-E and PCI frequencies at their set values of 100.0MHz and 33.3MHz, if this has not been done it must be done or else overclocking will dramatically be hindered. Note: These values do not have to be set exactly but they should be, try and keep both within 1MHz of these values at very maximum.

Looking at the remainder of your system specification I can find little wrong there so the above part of my responce is my current guess. RAM timings could also be a problem but because the RAM is PC6400 there should be no issue at all there.

Standard voltage for a Prescott/Prescott 2M (which is what im guessing this is judging by its LGA775) is approximately 1.385v, however this does vary. If you think your cooling is up to it then increase the voltage a fair amount, maybe 1.4v and that will make sure that the voltage supply to the CPU is not the problem. As a precaution I would recommend not allowing the thermal output of the processor to get that high. 65C is what I recommend you keep the CPU temperature under for safety reasons. Of course if the PSU is the problem then it may have something to do with the amount of power that can be distributed to the components.

I would like some more information on your processor however,
Example: Intel Pentium 4 650 (3.4GHz, x14/x17 multipliers). I know enough about your motherboard as it is just a cut down of mine

If neither of these two ideas work then we will have to dig deeper into why this does not want to work with the slightest overclock. If you use an automatic overclock profile does it boot (example is the 5% overclock profile by ASUS).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts