Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well im almost done with my FIRST build ever. Okay i have some question i was looking to buy a harddrive more like a 250gb but im looking around overclock.net ( my useful tool around so far) and i have seen the word raid. Now what is raid? How does it work? How can i set up RAID?

Is raid even worth doing it or should i just get a bigger Gb hard drive for the matter.

Thanks for all your help
-Mike

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb353 View Post
Okay well im almost done with my FIRST build ever. Okay i have some question i was looking to buy a harddrive more like a 250gb but im looking around overclock.net ( my useful tool around so far) and i have seen the word raid. Now what is raid? How does it work? How can i set up RAID?

Is raid even worth doing it or should i just get a bigger Gb hard drive for the matter.

Thanks for all your help
-Mike
Ok all you need to worry about right now is RAID 0, 1, and 0+1.

RAID 0 kind of combines the hard drives into one. It splits each file in half and put half on one hard drive and half on the other. It greatly increases speed.
2 Hard drives required

RAID 1 is like a mirror. I puts the file on one hard drive and copies it onto another. This increases protection, if a drive fails you still have your data.
2 Hard drives required

RAID 0+1 combines both 0 and 1. It spilts the file between two hard drives and copies them onto the 3rd and 4th hard drive.
4 Hard drives required

All you have to do is makes sure your motherboard will support the RAID you are trying to make.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alexisd- Awsome find that will help me alot for the raid set up
someone153- Dude wow way to put that in really good ways wow now i fully understand what raid 0 and raid 1 is

But wich one should i use 0 or the 1

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb353
View Post

alexisd- Awsome find that will help me alot for the raid set up
someone153- Dude wow way to put that in really good ways wow now i fully understand what raid 0 and raid 1 is

But wich one should i use 0 or the 1

Raid 0 is faster but remember you need 2 identical drives,Faster in boot times ,load times for differents programs.Im no a guru but if you follow any of the guides in here you can set up easy.Good luck.Hope it help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah every faq for me helps so thanks for all the help everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts