Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My case is the Coolermaster Storm Enforcer. Stocks fans meaning a CM 200mm RED LED front intake fan(can replace 2 120mm), a CM 120mm rear exhaust fan and thats it. I can put a 200mm fan on top or two 120mm instead but as of now theres nothing in it. I am currently using my newly bought Noctua NH-D14. Grahpics card is the ASUS GTX560 (NON TI) DC meaning only 1 fan. 2 3.5" 7200RPM HDDs on the bottom HDD cage. 2 2.5" 5400RPM HDDs on the middle removable HDD cage. Cable management is not that good but it is not that worst lol. PSU is the Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 750W 80+ G. 2600k @4.5GHz 1.344v - 1.352v - 1.360v. I am a new overclocker , just started last night.

Max cpu temp was 74C measured using AIDA64 yeah using my new NHD14, I dont know the ambient. I am living in the Philippines , a tropical country near the equator but right now its not that hot because of thick clouds. The rig position is... the back side panel(the one without the window) is near a wall about 1/3 of a feet and the rear is near the wall too about a feet from the wall. front is not restricted , side panel window is in front of me. psu is getting air from a filtered intake hole at the bottom of my case. case again is the cm storm enforcer.

For other specs, look at my sig/rig.

I accidentally closed Realtemp, its already running for more than 1 hr or maybe more than 2 hrs together with prime95 on blend.

SO I AM LOOKING FOR OPINIONS FOR FANS.. NUMBER OF FANS.. AND HOW TO IMPROVE AIRFLOW LIKE FAN ORIENTATION/POSITION.
I THINK my nhd14 can cool betterr than this. Do 2 120mm top exhaust fans help improve my cpu temps? and LASTLY i want to know how long can my 2600k last with my current voltages! Well not know specifically but know the estimate.. 3 years maybe? 5 years luckily? Should i replace my 200mm fan with 2 120mm? I cant intake from top because i have no filters there. pci slot covers were removed already for a long time. its almost been a year running this cpu on stock settings, im now OCing it coz i got my cooler now. hehehe. THANKS for those who will read all of this and will reply.

TL;DR help me lower my temps
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tilting the d14 upward is not possible i think the fan will hit the gfx card and will receive hot air from the gfx card. maybe i can look for filters but not now coz of studies. and im far from the city(manila) where i can buy those(maybe). i do not know any shops selling fan filters. and my room is dusty too so my case has some dust already. does replacing my 200mm megaflow with 2 120mm fans improve the flow? coz i think my 200mm front intake is just spinning on 700-800rpm. and thats only my intake. and in front of it are the populated hdd cages. and some wires.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well you could put on top rear 120mm fan as exhaust and on the other 120mm as intake and leave the rear fan as exhaust so that d14 can get cold air from top and the hot air will be sucked from rear and top. That megaflow pushes a lot of air and is quiet at the same time, so no worries there

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
78C on a 2600k after 1 hr of prime95 is "acceptable". you are not hurting your system in any way. it's hard to judge how bad it is w/o knowing the ambient temp.

air filter can be as simple as stealing your GF's pantyhose
biggrin.gif
there are plenty of people here on OCN that swear by pantyhose as air filter. alittle search in the forum should net some results on that.

as far as voltage on the 2600k, someone with more experience with that will have to jump in and answer that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 cores were now 83+ after 3 and a half hour of prime95 blend. yeah its hard to judge when the ambient is unknown.

Im ok with the sound of the nhd14 on 1300 RPM. are spectre pros that noisy? on what RPMs? ok then i will not replace my megaflow. its plugged to a 3 pin that is connected to a molex. its plugged previously on the motherboard fan header but it has an annoying sound when it reaches like 800+ RPMs. its so annoying. so i plugged it back to the molex but i think it spins slower now.

i dont know how to make filters using pantyhose hahaha.
i wish i can buy filters for the top fan mounts. i really do want to install some fans there!

·
Registered
291 Posts
The spectre pros aren't noisy, like i said i'm huge silence freak, noisy to me can be incredibly quiet to someone else, so you can buy those and if they're little too loud for you then undervolt them. Actually i was speaking of 140mm fans, sorry didn't mention that

Spectre pro specs:
Dimensions (mm) 120x120x25mm
Current (A) 0.11A ±10%
Speed (RPM) 1200 RPM ±10%
Air Flow (CFM) 56.22 CFM ±10%
Air Pressure (mmH2O) 1.24 mmH2O
Noise (dB-A) 18.9 dB(A)

These 120mm spectre pros aren't that loud according to specs

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well noctuas new 140mm fans nf-p14 flx, but they're expensive as hell.
there's lots of great brands(noiseblocker, be quiet,...), but you maybe have to undervolt them to get them quiet.
Nanoxia's fans are quiet but they can be hard to find
And about aerocool sharks, don't know the quality of the fans, but again you can get them reasonably quiet by speed reducers or fan controller.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushFudge View Post

haha your really a silent type of guy when it comes to computers. thanks for your time and opinions.
i wish some answer my question about the voltage=lifespan question.
there really isnt a definitive answer as to the relationship between voltage and lifespan of the chip. if you are WAY over-volting it will die quick. if you are undervolting, it will die quick, if you don't have sufficient cooling, it will die quick. but a chip also have varying quality even within the same production lot. some chips are stronger then others and can take more abuse. some serious OC'ers go by lot number assuming if the chips are strong in 1 batch, all chips in the same batch will be strong... not always true but a common practice.

i'm not a big OCing person so cant really tell you if you are exceeding the safe limit of your chip so someone else will have to come answer that for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts