Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm trying to push my e6400 (currently at specs in my sig) to 3.4ghz and I'm hitting a bit of a wall. I tried putting the fsb at 425 so I could get to 3.4, then adjusted my vcore up to 1.4v and 1.425v: the first failed after 12 seconds, and the second one after 27. I'm wondering if there is something else I should be adjusting here; the NB voltage was at 1.393 for all runs FYI, is that too low?

Ram should be fine, running barely higher than stock.

EDIT: just tried running at 1.56v on the NB and 1.425vcore so I think that 1.393v on the NB was fine...I guess I'll try more CPU voltage and stuff. Comment if you think you can help.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
First off, you are using DDR2 800 so the max you can increase your FSB to is 400. What is the max multi your Proc can do? Post everything you have set. Your PLL, cVore, Mem voltage, etc... everything so that wee can see what you are doing.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been on here for quite a while, I have no problem with overclocking the FSB and RAM...I am just having trouble getting stable.

I've tried up to 1.45v with 3.4ghz with no luck, maybe my chip just won't go above that?

Memory voltage is at 1.92v, although I've tried it at 2.013 as well...this ram runs stock at low voltage so it shouldn't be an issue.

NB voltage is 1.393, I've tried 1.56v with no luck.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Hmmm... Again please post your setting so all of us can see.

Have you tried increasing your PLL and Termination? That way you can have a higher FSB clock which should help you over all. That is what did it for me (even though I still cannot get a stable 3.8 e-e)

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
So you did the core Voltage right?? Well thats not the only CPu Voltage. The other one is CPU VTT which is for the FSB. Id try to increase that a tab and dont increase your northbridge volts itll destroy the NB.

The Vcore offset is the Vcore voltage so yes you want to change that!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have an option for CPU VTT or FSB voltage in my BIOS, it seems the only options are Vcore, NB, memory, and offest. suggestions? However, I just got the CPU to 3.3ghz on 1.425v...temps would be too high with a higher overclock.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It still might be a ram issue. I know G.Skill timing are quite tightly binded. I know I couldn't really get past 425 fsb until I switched to a better ram. I think Asus mobo keeps the timing at 1:1 right? So you can't really loosen it.

Or try putting 1.5v on the Vcore. NB doesn't really help that much.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Yeah, same here.... All it helped me with is getting a more stable FSB speed.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
hey i cant get my e6400 stable at 3.4 either. i'll have to watch this thread. i think that the chip just need a huge vcore bump to get stable that high.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by decapitator
View Post

hey i cant get my e6400 stable at 3.4 either. i'll have to watch this thread. i think that the chip just need a huge vcore bump to get stable that high.

You need to add like +0.2v or +0.3v to the MCH and +0.2v to the FSB to run that high. Also set the ram timings at 1:1 at first and overclock the ram AFTER you get the CPU stable.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeMiner
View Post

You need to add like +0.2v or +0.3v to the MCH and +0.2v to the FSB to run that high. Also set the ram timings at 1:1 at first and overclock the ram AFTER you get the CPU stable.

I tried raising the NB voltage from 1.393 to 1.56; it actually failed orthos faster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts