Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a noob with AMD overclocking, i once did a overclock on a old 1.6ghz AMD desktop but that was the automatic 6% overclock, pretty much all i've done with AMD... Had a sucessful 4.4 GHz E8400 on a DFI Blood Iron P45 T2RS with OCZ HPC Reaper ram... Around 2.4 GHz FSB, kicked ass, but, yes... Now i want to do the same to this stupid processor! Im using a Xigmatek HDT 1283 to keep it cooled, (close to T Ultra 120 Extreme performance)

But please, im so confused, tell me what i can do without burning the mobo (CPU is allowed to burn out in less than a year though, haha, i got a bad one that doesnt unlock even at 1.6 volt.. no L3 or 4th core)

What settings would i need to put, for... lets say, close to 3.6 - 4 ghz stable?

EDIT: pfft right, i forgot to add, even at everything stock except the bus speed at 223 it crashes in prime. It runs stable at 1.4 volt with 3010 mhz - 223 bus but no matter what volt i give, it crashes above 223?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did you try some values above 233? Maybe it's a hole. I wouldn't expect a 4.0 overclock on it anyways, maybe a 3.6-3.7.

Did you lower the Hypertransport multiplier?

EDIT: A good way to check whether the mobo is the limiting factor is to severely lower the CPU multiplier and then start clocking up the bus (stock voltage). You'll know the limit when you start failing Prime95. My EVO gave out around 255 mhz, but you might as well try it for yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried all volts and bus speeds up to 260 ..
Which one is the HT multiplier? >.<
CPU/NB Frequency x10
Processor Multiplier at x13.5
HT Link Frequency at 2000... does that say anything?

And if - like yours stopped at 255 - wouldnt it just be possible to add some extra volts? >.<

edit: Using Mushkin Stiletto CL9 1600MHZ ram btw, stock 1.65volt but i have them at 1.8 volt

·
Registered
318 Posts
It'll be labeled Hypertransport speed I think... Anything above 2000 Mhz doesn't really make a difference and it has the chance of introducing instability. Just keep it to the closest thing to 2000 Mhz.

As for the motherboard... I might have hit 255 with an increase in voltage but I forget... use this guide to find how high your motherboard can go:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ml#post3559197

NOTE: AM3 is similar enough to AM2, but there will be a few differences. For one, the ram. You'll want to underclock the ram to maybe ddr3 800 and loosen the timings to something higher than CL9. Remember to drop the CPU multiplier as well, then follow the guide to see where your motherboard limit is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by telamascope
View Post

It'll be labeled Hypertransport speed I think... Anything above 2000 Mhz doesn't really make a difference and it has the chance of introducing instability. Just keep it to the closest thing to 2000 Mhz.

As for the motherboard... I might have hit 255 with an increase in voltage but I forget... use this guide to find how high your motherboard can go:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ml#post3559197

NOTE: AM3 is similar enough to AM2, but there will be a few differences. For one, the ram. You'll want to underclock the ram to maybe ddr3 800 and loosen the timings to something higher than CL9. Remember to drop the CPU multiplier as well, then follow the guide to see where your motherboard limit is.

Doing that! Thanks for pointing out the obvious, haha XD silly me, im so blind... Thanks again tho, its fun being a noob again

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stat1kirl View Post
I have the same CPU. Had to give it 1.6v to get it that high.
I give up, i tried doing everything, it will boot with 250 bus and NB multiplier at x6 but not at x5 ?

Still anything i try it wont be stable over 223 BUS speed and everything else stock settings and ram at 1.8 volt...

Can you tell me your settings? I dont mind giving it 1.6+ volt to get it over 3.6+ghz ... but Rawrz or some guy on here had it at 4ghz with 1.6volt? I am so blah, i can give you a screenshot of the bios and then you could try and tell me what to set each option for and i can try them out?

I found this which shows my bios (except mine has SB Voltage which is supposed to be southbridge.. at the very bottom, guess it isnt important?)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rd,2441-6.html

I will donate my liver and thumb to anyone who can help

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Running with 1600 MHZ CL9 Mushkin Stiletto ram, they are at 1.65v standard but i have them at 1.8 volt... will be back in 2 hours to check up on what you guys have brainstormed xD

·
Registered
318 Posts
Try setting the multi to 13 and then clocking the reference a bit higher. It didn't work for me, but I've heard of processors with unstable multipliers.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote:

ACC: Auto
CPU Voltage: 1.5625v ( motherboard overvolts to 1.60-1.61 )
CPU/NB: 1.55v
RAM: 2.5v
Rest on Auto -
If he can't unlock ACC won't let him boot. ACC should be off.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kharnak View Post
I give up, i tried doing everything, it will boot with 250 bus and NB multiplier at x6 but not at x5 ?
WHOOPS forgot to add another difference between AM2 and AM3. The default multiplier for NB is 10 on AM3 and 5 in AM2. You WANT to have a NB around 2000 Mhz. Try that again with NB multiplier at 10.

EDIT: OK to sum everything up. Try booting in at something higher than 223 with a multiplier at 13, with NB multiplier at either 10 or 9, and HT at the closest setting to 2000 Mhz. If that doesn't work at stock voltages, keep trying by increasing CPU voltage slowly. The important is to see if this is a CPU "wall" or a "hole".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

ACC: Auto
CPU Voltage: 1.5625v ( motherboard overvolts to 1.60-1.61 )
CPU/NB: 1.55v
RAM: 2.5v
Rest on Auto -
I dont have a CPU/NB voltage thingie :S?
And my ram is at max recommended volts i think
CPU voltage is up on 1.6volt in bios, i dont think it vdroops bad cos' cpuz reads 1.59xx volt

.. Damn, i wish someone with my combo could tell me their precise bios settings!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm... how would i go about updating my bios from 05 to 0604? I have a USB harddrive and a few DVDS i can waste.. but what is the safest/easiest?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kharnak
View Post

hmm... how would i go about updating my bios from 05 to 0604? I have a USB harddrive and a few DVDS i can waste.. but what is the safest/easiest?

The usb option is easiest. That's one of the features of the EVO. Just follow the instruction manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what i have 1 hour prime stable now.. VDDNB voltage at 1.35 and i have no idea what my temps are cos everest reads 30c and people say nothing else really works.. it was 33c on bios HW monitor

this is what i would guess is my (AFAIK) safe overclock, but crappy one indeed

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
A general comparison to your windows temperature...
The BIOS CPU temp, if accurate, should reflect about 80% of the "Full load" temp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
285 bus speed seems to be the max.. running at 275 just to be sure, 1.55 volt in bios for 3712 mhz

1 - 20 of 28 Posts