Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attachment is where Im at, Id like to try for more but Im not sure on nb and ht link multipliers. Please guide me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you actually CAN get it higher, bump the HT Freq. down to 1.8Ghz. I see you have the same board as I do. There's 2 options in BIOS, one that has HT Freq., top end options are 2.0Ghz, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6. Bump that down to 1.8Ghz, I'm assuming that will bump the NB Freq. down, as well. If not, I haven't the slightest idea on the NB and how to get that lower, but it SHOULD go lower, I'm not sure. I know there's a NB Multi option in BIOS, but I have no idea what it's there for, and make sure you update to the 2/02/09 BIOS or newer, it's on the beta BIOS site. Haven't the slightest idea if they've put out a new non-beta BIOS yet.

And if you have the stock NB cooling that came w/ the board, CHECK your NB temps, they can get to 60c real quick, I learned that the hard way. If you have a NB water block, you're good.

And if you have WC on the NB and SB, you could try to bump the NB and SB voltages up a notch, I believe defaults are 1.34 and 1.20v respectively, not sure on the NB, bump 'em up to 1.39 and 1.30v respectively. If the NB voltage isn't right, just bump that up to the next voltage, and try that.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a thermaltake extreme spirit 2 on the NB and temps are very low even at a stress, never break 45-50. It was the NB multi that I was really curious about, as I have no idea of what to set that to apart from auto. I will go try and drop the HT Freq down and see if I can get past the bluescreens that are stopping me getting further.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I dropped the ht freq to 1.8 as suggested. This allowed me to boot up to 3.9, I also dropped my ram to the 667 divider. No matter what I tried I couldnt stabilize over 3.75. The only voltage I tried playing with was the vcore, but I have options to adjust the nb and sb and also nb ht voltages. Would any of these options help me out, I dont just want to go and start cranking them all.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
increase northbridge voltage and ram voltage. but only by a tiny bit. and time your ram manually

·
Registered
170 Posts
What's the RAM frequency at right now in CPU-Z? Wait, better yet, get me a screenie of the CPU, Mainboard, and Memory tabs in CPU-Z. And a Newegg link to your RAM. If you don't mind, please.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have 2 Phenom 940's that are stable @3.9ghz, But i am running 2 different nvidia chipsets.

Foxconn Destroyer - 780a

Gigabyte M-750SLi-DS4 -750a

Both of my CPU's are Lapped w/ Lapped T.R.U.E's with Scythe Ultra Kaze (3000rpm) fans.

Due to the different chipsets (Yours and Mine) and the the overall differences Between our builds, I can't really give much advice.

But I can tell you that besides Vcore.....

On the Foxconn Board I had to increase the Following Voltages to achieve a stable 3.9ghz:

Vcore = 1.475v
HT voltage = 1.35v

Chipset voltage (It really is called Chipset Voltage) = 1.35v

After adding Vcore I added voltage to the Chipset voltage and then finally to the HT voltage.

On my Gigabyte Board I had to change the following Voltages:

Vcore = 1.5v

CPU NBvid = 1.42v

HT Voltage = 1.35v

After adding Vcore I added voltage to the CPU NBvid and then finally to the HT voltage.

I can't say what is a safe voltage for HT or NBvid/Chipset and so I don't recommend just trying my settings....But for me to get stable this is what I used.

You Just have to make small changes and stress test for progress.

And also remember that NO 2 systems OC the same.

I did notice in your screen Shot of your ram settings that your:

Bank Cycle Time ( TRC) is : 24 clocks

Have you tried raising that number? it might help...it might not.. I have mine set to 31

Any ways I wish you good luck on your OC

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My ram is running at 1000, its stock speed, I have tested it stable to 1054. Voltage is stock at 2.1v. It is this ram, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231145

Edit: cpu and memory screenshots on op, heres the mainboard tab.

Edit: I tried previous posters suggestions of raising other voltages, so I set SB-1.3, NB Core-1.37 and NB HT-1.37. Squeezed a few extra mhz out of it, guess Im just at the limits of my chip.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Go look in BIOS, should be PC Health Status labeled in there, look at your chipset temp, then set that temp to be your Custom temp in OCCT, then run a 1 hour Linpack test. I know you're on WCing, but I have no idea how good that is.
Plus the NB on this board runs hot. And if it hits a snag, try bumping the speed of the memory back, and bumping the FSB up, see what that does. Your memory could be the limiting factor, if you go over whatever is stable.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnickieX
View Post

Go look in BIOS, should be PC Health Status labeled in there, look at your chipset temp, then set that temp to be your Custom temp in OCCT, then run a 1 hour Linpack test. I know you're on WCing, but I have no idea how good that is.
Plus the NB on this board runs hot. And if it hits a snag, try bumping the speed of the memory back, and bumping the FSB up, see what that does. Your memory could be the limiting factor, if you go over whatever is stable.

My chipset temps never go over 45c at a full load. I have also tried underclocking my ram, it just seems 3.7 is where Im stuck. Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by venom55520
View Post

try lowering HT

I have done so. The screenshots on a earlier post of 3.8 passed occt 1 hr test, but when I installed the latest nod32 instant bsod so I reverted back to 3.75 which is prime 8hrs stable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When you clock back the HT link, check in CPU-Z and have a look at your HT Link speed and your NB frequency, the NB could be what's causing the BSOD if it's still clocked to 2.2Ghz, or it could be even higher if the multiplier kicks in the wrong way.

That would be my next suggestion, if the NB Freq. is high, bump the NB voltage up a notch. Or two. That could overcome it, but if it didn't, I'd bump the vcore up by like 100mV (That's .1v) and see what that does, combined with higher NB, HT, and possibly SB voltages, since you're on WCing, it shouldn't hurt it, however, personally I wouldn't put the SB above 1.3v, and wouldn't bump the NB/HT voltages up past 3 notches higher tops. Voltage on a Phenom 2 940 tops is 1.5v, I'm pretty sure I read that on here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnickieX View Post
When you clock back the HT link, check in CPU-Z and have a look at your HT Link speed and your NB frequency, the NB could be what's causing the BSOD if it's still clocked to 2.2Ghz, or it could be even higher if the multiplier kicks in the wrong way.

That would be my next suggestion, if the NB Freq. is high, bump the NB voltage up a notch. Or two. That could overcome it, but if it didn't, I'd bump the vcore up by like 100mV (That's .1v) and see what that does, combined with higher NB, HT, and possibly SB voltages, since you're on WCing, it shouldn't hurt it, however, personally I wouldn't put the SB above 1.3v, and wouldn't bump the NB/HT voltages up past 3 notches higher tops. Voltage on a Phenom 2 940 tops is 1.5v, I'm pretty sure I read that on here somewhere.
Thanks for the suggestions, when I drop the ht multi down, it in turn drops the nb multi with it. I have tried up to 1.55vcore, and can boot up to 4ghz, just cant stabilize anything over what Im running currently. I have noticed though that my pwms do run hot, so I plan to mod a fan over the pwm heatsink tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts