Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I just bought a Corsair H60 on clearance and decided to overclock. I was able to get to 3.9Ghz stable on the stock cooler, so I decided to push it a little further with the new cooler. It's set up as a push pull to pull from the outside of the case. I'm using 2 stock Corsair fans. One from my case and one from the H60, which both happen to be the same. I'm at 4.3Ghz right now with decent temps. Doesn't go above 65C. At 4.4Ghz I get pretty close to 80C after about 30-40mins of Prime95. What can I do to bring my temps down? I was at 1.177v (I think) at 4.3Ghz and I'm at 1.308v at 4.4Ghz.

Any ideas?

And sorry if this is the wrong spot to post. I don't post on here much. If it's the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post

Hey guys!

I just bought a Corsair H60 on clearance and decided to overclock. I was able to get to 3.9Ghz stable on the stock cooler, so I decided to push it a little further with the new cooler. It's set up as a push pull to pull from the outside of the case. I'm using 2 stock Corsair fans. One from my case and one from the H60, which both happen to be the same. I'm at 4.3Ghz right now with decent temps. Doesn't go above 65C. At 4.4Ghz I get pretty close to 80C after about 30-40mins of Prime95. What can I do to bring my temps down? I was at 1.177v (I think) at 4.3Ghz and I'm at 1.308v at 4.4Ghz.

Any ideas?

And sorry if this is the wrong spot to post. I don't post on here much. If it's the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Thanks.
are you using auto voltage or are you setting those vallues for Vcore in yourself? if you entered them then that chip is horrible to need 1.3 for 4.4

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using auto voltage for the 4.4Ghz. I set it to 1.177 on 4.3Ghz. I kept blue screening when I started Prime95 and I couldn't figure out the right voltage so I put it back to auto for 4.4Ghz. Also I believe i set PLL to 1.650.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Quote:

I'm using auto voltage for the 4.4Ghz. I set it to 1.177 on 4.3Ghz. I kept blue screening when I started Prime95 and I couldn't figure out the right voltage so I put it back to auto for 4.4Ghz. Also I believe i set PLL to 1.650.
set vcore to fixed/manual and set it for 1.25 vcore and for pll set it to 1.8
thumb.gif

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgaur View Post

set vcore to fixed/manual and set it for 1.25 vcore and for pll set it to 1.8
thumb.gif
Thank you. I'm gonna try that now. Can you explain what exactly PLL is? Google was no help.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Quote:

Thank you. I'm gonna try that now. Can you explain what exactly PLL is? Google was no help.
thats a good question of what PLL is. but it's under your Vcore area in bios
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Whatever it is, you don't need to mess with it for that kind of overclock. Just leave it on Auto.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

thats a good question of what PLL is. but it's under your Vcore area in bios
thumb.gif
lol I know where it is. I just wanted to know what its for. I heard if you offset it a little it can help bring temps down. Anyways, I set my Vcore at 1.23 and changed the multiplier to 45. So far its stable at 4.5Ghz and my temps are lower than they were at 4.4Ghz. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
You can usually lower it a little (along with VCCSA) without affecting stability and reduce temps a couple of degrees, that's true.

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Quote:

lol I know where it is. I just wanted to know what its for. I heard if you offset it a little it can help bring temps down. Anyways, I set my Vcore at 1.23 and changed the multiplier to 45. So far its stable at 4.5Ghz and my temps are lower than they were at 4.4Ghz. Thank you.
No problem! Thats what OCN is for
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

PLL is the clock generator chip. Here is a really good explanation:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?179757-What-does-PLL-voltage-do
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingJack;2824649
Darn, here comes some more science ...

PLL stands for phase locked loop and it is the primary circuit in the processor that sets the overall clock and not necessarily the processor .. PLLs are used anywhere that a device is clocked against a reference where the resulting clock is higher than the reference clock.

It works by taking an input waveform and generating a new waveform that locks it's phase to the incoming but with a multiple of the freqeuncy. This is why traditionally, multipliers have been whole numbers, because to lock the phase you want the generated wave form to start at the same point of the period and end at the same point of the period to remains stable.

Here is a square wave phase locked to a multiplier of 2, top row is input wave form, bottom is output wave form:

++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++
++++++++

++++++++

+++++++++

.... and so on, the frequency is 2x of the input, phase lock is bolded --- this is just a simple example.

Now you can achived the same lock if you allow the end phase to be exactly 180 degrees out of phase:

++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++
+++++++++

+++++++++

So the output wave form is 1.5 of the input wave form.... now you have 1/2 multipliers....

Jack

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

No problem! Thats what OCN is for
thumb.gif
Alright, update. It crashed twice during stress testing. Once after 6 hours and once after 5 hours. Changed the voltage from 1.235 to 1.240 to 1.245 now. Just started stress testing a few mins ago. Temps are still the same and PLL is still on auto. I'll post again later tonight or tomorrow about what happens. Hopefully it can stress test overnight and make it. How long should I stress test before I call it stable? I mainly use it for editing and rendering projects.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

PLL is the clock generator chip. Here is a really good explanation:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?179757-What-does-PLL-voltage-do
dude.....i have no idea what you just said. I know my way around computers enough to not get lost, but I'm an editor and film student and only understood about half of what you said.

can you explain it in terms of what lowering it does vs raising it? I'd probably understand it better like that. For instance 4.5Ghz @ 1.235v with a PLL of 1.650 vs 4.5Ghz @ 1.245v with a PLL of auto/1.800. What would be the difference in that?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

dude.....i have no idea what you just said. I know my way around computers enough to not get lost, but I'm an editor and film student and only understood about half of what you said.

can you explain it in terms of what lowering it does vs raising it? I'd probably understand it better like that. For instance 4.5Ghz @ 1.235v with a PLL of 1.650 vs 4.5Ghz @ 1.245v with a PLL of auto/1.800. What would be the difference in that?
Raising or lowering isn't necessary for more power or less, but rather for stabilizing the clock frequency. The clock gen chip is there to sync up the signaling wave between the CPU clock and the system clock (The CPU clock is the GHz speed while the system clock for Ivy is 100). Raising is can help in extreme overclocks by improving the signaling, while lowering it can help reduce the temps a few degrees (from what I've read), and can also stabilize the overclock. Its a "lets see if this helps at all" kind of a tweak.,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeod View Post

Raising or lowering isn't necessary for more power or less, but rather for stabilizing the clock frequency. The clock gen chip is there to sync up the signaling wave between the CPU clock and the system clock (The CPU clock is the GHz speed while the system clock for Ivy is 100). Raising is can help in extreme overclocks by improving the signaling, while lowering it can help reduce the temps a few degrees (from what I've read), and can also stabilize the overclock. Its a "lets see if this helps at all" kind of a tweak.,
Ohhhh okay. Well I've been stress testing for 6-7 hours now and it hasn't blue screened, so if I get it stable I'll try dropping PLL a little bit and see if it brings my temps down.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts