Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need some help on how to overclockmy cpu and memory and im clueless as to how to do it... ive never overclocked anything and i dont know to much about overclocking, but u guys do so can u help me?
thanks

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Please read through this guide first as it contains a wealth of information that will help you get started. Once you read through that, please post any questions you may have.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks im reading through it all and trying to understand it all but im still confused on some of it..

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
By all means post questions as you come up with them. Reading the guide is just an excellent starting point.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
That's the ratio of the CPU frequency to the RAM frequency (very simplified). For Intel machines, it's generally best to run at 1:1, though sometimes a bit of performance can be gained by pushing the RAM faster than the CPU.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k thanks... im going to go attempt to overclock now and if i have problems ull see them here... thanks alot

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in my bios under the cpu settings i saw a "fixed agp/pci frequency" setting and it was at 66/33. what should i do with that?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1
in my bios under the cpu settings i saw a "fixed agp/pci frequency" setting and it was at 66/33. what should i do with that?
It is best not to change that one for two reasons. First it yields minimal to no performance results and second it can seriously screw up your computer ( destroy mobo, corrupt hard drive, etc.)

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks alot, ill just leave that be and attempt my first overclocking!!! thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet i just overclocked my cpu to 3.690ghz! and im running a stress test right now... so what do i do now, what was the bennefit of this overclocking? and how can i tell what speed my memory is running at? thanks alot guys!

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

Sweet i just overclocked my cpu to 3.690ghz! and im running a stress test right now... so what do i do now, what was the bennefit of this overclocking? and how can i tell what speed my memory is running at? thanks alot guys!

The benefits of overclocking:
- Getting more performance from a system or as much performance as the one you can get from a more expensive system.
- The sense of satisfaction from doing it. It can become an addiction though !

The disadvantages of overclocking:
- Voids the warranty on the spot (although sometimes you can hide the fact that you overclocked your equipment) !
- Shortens the life of your overclocked components (you can lessen the impact overclocking has on your components by keeping your temperatures under control and being very careful to increase voltages in baby steps).

To determine the speed of your memory download this little program run it and go to the "Memory" tab where you will read "Frequency" under "Timings".
It'll also give you the FSB:RAM ratio right below it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Keep a good eye on the temps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts