Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crazy
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading to Skylake. Same system as signature (Titan) but adding the following:

Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD

i7-6700K

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO

Can't decide which RAM to go with. I want 16GB (2x8GB) so there is room to add another 2 sticks to 32GB in future. I'm also pretty stuck on GSKILL as I've had a flawless experience with them in the past and love the look of their modules.

I guess the biggest question is regarding which speed/timings to go with.
I plan to overclock this system on liquid (will be upgrading to a custom loop soon). My brother has the i5 and I OC'd it to 4.7GHz stable easy on his.

Want high performance but don't want the speed to make OCing difficult. Budget is pretty wide but nothing too crazy. Would like to stay under $200 (Canadian) said and done. Suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would suggest that you get at least 3200 speed ram. Faster ram will help the whole system.

·
Crazy
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I ended up crunching some numbers (a stupid amount involving overly complex equations and a spreadsheet) and determined to go with this:

F4-3200C14D-16GTZ

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232205

I think that'll give me the best bang for the buck in my budget. Well almost... there are Ripjaw X with the same specs but $10 cheaper, but I loved the look of the TridentZs and they supposedly have better picked chips so perhaps that'll allow me to play with it some.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my GeIL EVO Potenza sticks, model GPR416GB3000C15DC 2x8GB @ 3000MHz [email protected] 1.35V.
They use SK Hynix chips (same as G.Skill?).
If only the heatspreaders weren't so tall, I had to rip them apart as they didn't fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts