• E500 For $415 New

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • E410 For $380 Opened But New

Votes: 7 77.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Everything I've read says the E410 is the better one. Less noise at higher ISO, Live View, better AF. Personally I'd get a Canon 450D, but that is a little under double what you're paying.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
The E410 definitely. It handles noise far better than the older (two years) E500. A good choice though Olympus, the Four Thirds lens lineup is large and legendary, there are lots of great lenses out there. If I had the money just laying around (money never gets a chance to with me), I would invest in a FourThirds DSLR myself; they're so small for which reason their lenses have very good corner-to-corner sharpness.

And those are two very decent lenses that the E410 setup comes with. The 14-42mm is definitely a better lens than the 14-45mm.

Down the road you should look to get a prime and/or a macro lens. This should be helpful in deciding on those:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/7

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow
View Post

The E410 definitely. It handles noise far better than the older (two years) E500. A good choice though Olympus, the Four Thirds lens lineup is large and legendary, there are lots of great lenses out there. If I had the money just laying around (money never gets a chance to with me), I would invest in a FourThirds DSLR myself; they're so small for which reason their lenses have very good corner-to-corner sharpness.

And those are two very decent lenses that the E410 setup comes with. The 14-42mm is definitely a better lens than the 14-45mm.

Down the road you should look to get a prime and/or a macro lens. This should be helpful in deciding on those:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/7

How do you feel about the E-510?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan747
View Post

How do you feel about the E-510?

It's very similar in terms of performance to the E410. But, unlike the E410, it has in-body image stabilization, a higher resolution LCD and more manual controls. I think that the IS alone makes it worth it over the E410.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ryan747

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow
View Post

It's very similar in terms of performance to the E410. But, unlike the E410, it has in-body image stabilization, a higher resolution LCD and more manual controls. I think that the IS alone makes it worth it over the E510.

lol after all this talking i went with a d40, im buying my first DSLR in 1 hour im so excited

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan747 View Post
lol after all this talking i went with a d40, im buying my first DSLR in 1 hour im so excited

It's certainly a good camera. Make sure that the reseller you're getting it from is reputable, there are a lot of bait 'n' switch camera resellers out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisB17 View Post
I am excited to. No more crappy pics omg thank you lord.
LOL, you mean from Ryan?

·
Jack Of All Trades
10,737 Posts
Lol Ryan is my brother. So I see all his photos. Now he can get very nice ones.

*Edit* and Ryan is buying the camera from a local store that has been in buisness for ALONG time. www.rowephoto.com is the place.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Quote:

Lol Ryan is my brother. So I see all his photos. Now he can get very nice ones.

*Edit* and Ryan is buying the camera from a local store that has been in buisness for ALONG time. www.rowephoto.com is the place.
Heh, DSLRs are nice, but they don't automatically endow you with amazing photographic skillz, so you may have to wait until he gets the hang of it. Who's the older brother?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Heh, DSLRs are nice, but they don't automatically endow you with amazing photographic skillz, so you may have to wait until he gets the hang of it. Who's the older brother?
hes the older brother, ya i know how to use the d40 i took photo last year and used that and a D60 the whole time, so i know most of the functions for them. The good thing with rowe is though i get free lessons from them because i bought it from there. So any function I dont know they will teach me

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Quote:

I am older. And definitly cooler.
LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan747 View Post
hes the older brother, ya i know how to use the d40 i took photo last year and used that and a D60 the whole time, so i know most of the functions for them. The good thing with rowe is though i get free lessons from them because i bought it from there. So any function I dont know they will teach me

Good deal, Nikon just released a new 35mm DX AF-S prime lens, it's pretty nice, you should see about getting one down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts