Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi after a lot of research I have come up with these 4 mobo's below in the link. There were other mobo's I liked the look of but they required DDR3 and my budget dont cover to purchase DDR3 ram so I would rather use my excisting platium OCZ DDR2 on a DDR2 mobo...

My question is that if I already got a PCIe HD capture card and a XFX 260 HD Graphic's card then would you say there is any point in me getting a HD mobo?? The 2x Asus mobo's below in the link I really like but they dont have a firewire socket at the back and it only has 1 x PCIe x1 so thats my down fall! But the DDR3 version of the asus mobo has a firewire connection at the back panel and 2x PCIe slots, what a shame!! But I do like the idea of a HD mobo incase my graphics card ever died.

But my question is would you say the 2 Gigabyte mobo's below in the link are better because they have more PCIe and PCI slots? I need at least 2 x PCIe slots. 1 for a PCIe USB 3.0 card and 1 for my capture HD card. What would you say the best mobo below is for me and the performance. Thanks x

Mobo's

Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3313#ov

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3302#ov

HD Mobo's

Asus M4A78-HTPC - http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=XMJV2ORHgeddrvls

Asus M4A785D-M PRO - http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=yCI8UenairUZJWET
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
id go for the Asus M4A785D-M PRO because it seems to be of a slightly higher quality than the others. if your interested in overclocking however i really would advise against these boards because of the lack of heatsinks on the MOSFET's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,899 Posts
I'd get the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3. I got the DDR3 version of that mobo.
Just my
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal777 View Post
id go for the Asus M4A785D-M PRO because it seems to be of a slightly higher quality than the others. if your interested in overclocking however i really would advise against these boards because of the lack of heatsinks on the MOSFET's.
Thanks for sharing your view bruv, I got the dark knight heatsink and its a pain in the ass on my Gigabyte mobo as well. My PC is down at the moment, I dunno if the cpu is dead or mobo but I'm upgrading all my bits now anyway. Would you say there is any point in getting a HD mobo if I have a HD graphics card and a HD capture video card?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawaiian_geek View Post
I'd get the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3. I got the DDR3 version of that mobo.
Just my

I looked at that mobo and I love all the connections it has but 1 connecton its missing which is a HMDI inboard video but Would you say there is any point in getting a HD mobo if I have a HD graphics card (xfx 260 ) and a HD capture video card?

Come on everyone who views this topic, share some light!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
you don't need a mobo with an hdmi out if you already have a discrete graphics card with one. you wouldn't use the integrated chip under those circumstances anyway unless you had to rma your card or something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sch010 View Post
you don't need a mobo with an hdmi out if you already have a discrete graphics card with one. you wouldn't use the integrated chip under those circumstances anyway unless you had to rma your card or something
I got a xfx 260 black edtion. Its DVI but I got a convertor. It seems to kick only 1080i and not 1080p though.
Thats true but I though it be good incase my graphics card ever died.
So what mobo would you choice sc010?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,806 Posts
I'd go with the M4A785DM Pro. Simply because of all of the features it has as compared to the other ones.

And from what I've seen, Asus boards/BIOS have a lot more OCing features than GB's do usually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
I'd go with the M4A785DM Pro. Simply because of all of the features it has as compared to the other ones.

And from what I've seen, Asus boards/BIOS have a lot more OCing features than GB's do usually.
this. that asus board looks to be the most solid out of the 4 you mentioned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
I'd go with the M4A785DM Pro. Simply because of all of the features it has as compared to the other ones.

And from what I've seen, Asus boards/BIOS have a lot more OCing features than GB's do usually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sch010 View Post
this. that asus board looks to be the most solid out of the 4 you mentioned
Cool. If I get the M4A785DM Pro then I will have to find another way to add a usb 3.0 connection because there is only 1 x PCIe slot! And I'd need that slot for my HD capture card! Is there any other way to put a esata and a usb 3.0 connection apart from using a PCIe card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyface_yo View Post
Cool. If I get the M4A785DM Pro then I will have to find another way to add a usb 3.0 connection because there is only 1 x PCIe slot! And I'd need that slot for my HD capture card! Is there any other way to put a esata and a usb 3.0 connection apart from using a PCIe card?
not to my knowledge. if the board doesn't have a controller onboard, an add-in card is your only option
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sch010 View Post
not to my knowledge. if the board doesn't have a controller onboard, an add-in card is your only option
Ahh I see. So really if I want a firewire connection and PCIe usb 3.0 card, PCI wireless card etc then I would have to go for the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 because that has a lot of slots on the mobo? I have doubts about the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3! Its so hard to decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoko Littner View Post
My vote on the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Hi. Whats the performance on the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 like?
You ever played with it? and what makes you vote for the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyface_yo View Post
Ahh I see. So really if I want a firewire connection and PCIe usb 3.0 card, PCI wireless card etc then I would have to go for the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 because that has a lot of slots on the mobo? I have doubts about the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3! Its so hard to decide.

i'm sure it'd work as well as the asus at stock, and to my recollection it oc'd fairly well. i honestly wouldn't push any of the boards you mentioned too far, as none of them have heatsinks on the mosfets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sch010 View Post
i'm sure it'd work as well as the asus at stock, and to my recollection it oc'd fairly well. i honestly wouldn't push any of the boards you mentioned too far, as none of them have heatsinks on the mosfets.
I see. Well my connection cards will be: PCIe HD capture card. PCIe usb 3.0 card. PCIe esata card. PCI wireles card. PCI Creative sound card. PCI usb 2.0 card. PCI firewire card. So thats 3 x PCIe slots in use and 4x PCI slots in use. I don't think Iam going to overclock anything just yet, I might do later on in time.

Edited
lol I just noticed the mobo only has 2 x PCI so looks like I will have to miss out a usb 2.0 card and a firewire card.
There are 8 usb inputs at the back of the mobo which is good enough I think
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
i say that board for it's Feature's i do however have 2 Basis's why u should get it.

1.Its a Gigabyte
2. and im judging based on a on paper perspective
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I get the mobo then I will have to make sure I get the rev 2.0 because that features a proper 8-pin CPU connector and DDR2-1333 support, and most importantly it uses a brand new southbridge; the SB710. which is important because the SB710 brings with it one big party trick: Advanced Clock Control (ACC) And everyone agrees that ACC is one of the factors that makes AM3 processors exciting. rev 1.0 of the Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 has bad reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by sch010
View Post

the m4a78-e looks to be the most solid of those boards

sch010 I was looking at that board. Its got everything I need in it. 2 x PCIe 2x PCI. You got a very good taste man! Is the chip on the m4a78-e better then the chip on the Asus M4A785D-M PRO? What do you think of the DKA790GX Platinum - http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...1&prod_no=1552

Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top