Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...determine if it's a bad thing!

Very randomly, I will hear this whirring/chirping/minor screeching sound coming from my rig. I thought at first my HDDs and then possibly an old/failing H50. Whenever the sound starts, by the time I get my ear close enough to my rig to pinpoint, it stops. Since it seems to be random, I can't seem to reproduce it on command.

So thinking it was my HDDs, I downloaded and installed WD Diagnostics, and ran an extended scan on both my 640GB (oldest drive) and 750GB (second oldest) drives, and both passed. I started the scans while I was at home and monitored via TeamViewer, but when it was doing the scan at home, I did hear the sound again, but it wasn't the whole time, just for a little bit and might have come back once in the 30 minutes I was still home. I have heard stories of this being a failing hard drive, but wouldn't WD diag pick it up?

I'm not at home right now, but I can access my home rig if I need to for more info or anything. While I'm sure it might be better to be right there to help diagnose it fully, I thought I could at least get a head start, so as not to have it occupy all of my days off.
smile.gif

·
13,096 Posts
Could you set-up a microphone or camera to try to record the sound?

Also could it be coil-whine coming from another component, maybe CPU or GPU?

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Could you set-up a microphone or camera to try to record the sound?
Also could it be coil-whine coming from another component, maybe CPU or GPU?
It's hard to pinpoint where it comes from, and today it hasn't done it at all. I did come home, and thoroughly clean out my rig with my DataVac today though. It's definitely a scuttling sound, with a weird high pitched chirp to it, if that makes sense at all.
smile.gif

·
13,096 Posts
Hmm, I guess if I was having the problem, I would just try stressing one component at a time to try to figure out which component it is.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Hmm, I guess if I was having the problem, I would just try stressing one component at a time to try to figure out which component it is.
It's so random though. Like today, it hasn't done it once. Rigs been on solid since I got home at 9am or so. If it seems to start doing it again, I'll see if I can't leave my webcam near it, and leave it recording audio only.

·
13,096 Posts
Hearing the exact sound might help.

I know my WD Black 1 TB gets pretty loud when it's under heavy I/O loads, but it's a pretty distinct head movement/seeking sound that we should all know from the old sub 1GB IDE HDD days when HDD's were the loudest component on a PC.

Also the H50 could have some air bubbles in it, is the RAD mounted above the CPU block elevation wise? As well the UltraKaze's have a nasty habit of making a noise that might be the one you're hearing when that are mounted such that they are blowing horizontally. At least all 4 of mine make noise.

My other question to you though, have you have brought your computer in for a Leprechaun removal service? I hear they can do some pretty nasty things to computers if not taken care of quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts