Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people,Thanks for taking the time to view this problem,my son has a old pentiumII 266,now there werea few games he couldn't play,so i got him a p400 cpu hoping it would just slot in and upgrade it's self!! but no it has not found it's self,infact it insists it is only a p240,and that is the maximum speed it will let it goto in the soft menu aswell, what am i doing wrong? do the bus settings need to be changed?do i need to cover a different jumper?how can i find out what speed the bus is running at? thanks for ur time cheers

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcsofi

hi people,Thanks for taking the time to view this problem,my son has a old pentiumII 266,now there werea few games he couldn't play,so i got him a p400 cpu hoping it would just slot in and upgrade it's self!! but no it has not found it's self,infact it insists it is only a p240,and that is the maximum speed it will let it goto in the soft menu aswell, what am i doing wrong? do the bus settings need to be changed?do i need to cover a different jumper?how can i find out what speed the bus is running at? thanks for ur time cheers

Do you know what motherboard you have? it's sounds like you either have a non compatible mobo or it's just a BIOS or jumper setting wrong. When you say p400 do you mean a Pentium 400 Mhz?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

hi cheers for taking the time,,,it's a 1997 board yes it is a 400 mhz cheers

Is there anyway you can find out which Model# and Brand motherboard it is? and do you know if it is a Pentium ll or is it a pentium lll 400Mhz CPU. With out this info it would almost be impossible to help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:

i cant help but asking, did you put the "p400" on the same motherboard the "pentium II 266" was on? or did you buy a new motherboard with the processor?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I saw no mention that the 400 mhz processor is a PII, as well. I would assume so, but just to make sure...it is a PII, isn't it? If you could get a model number off the motherboard, we can see if we can track down the manual and/or reference compatibility lists and BIOS updates to see if that turns up anything. If it's a proprietary system (Dell, HP, Compaq), if you could provide the system model number as well, that would be helpful.

I'm tending to lean towards the suggestion that archer made, in regards to possibly needing a BIOS update, but it could require a jumper setting as well.

And while we're at it, how much did that 400 mhz CPU cost?

·
Registered
579 Posts
well, id assume he has installed everything properly if hes seeing stuff on the screen, so i think my question is explained, except if he bought a new mobo or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here goes, yes the cpu is a pentiumII400,and no i just swaped the processors,the only codes i could find on the motherboard are as follows..ab/lx6..agp set fw82443lx..sl2kk.cheers for taking the time.....

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
If you have SiSoft Sandra, it will give you a complete system summary, and we can go from there.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

here goes, yes the cpu is a pentiumII400,and no i just swaped the processors,the only codes i could find on the motherboard are as follows..ab/lx6..agp set fw82443lx..sl2kk.cheers for taking the time.....

For manually finding the mobo information on an older mobo you may want to look for a long code located around or between the PCI slots.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I would say that most likely you need to change your FSB setting, which could be through BIOS or a jumper, depending on the board. This is a very typical scenario when you pop a CPU into a motherboard that supports newer and older CPU's. When I first popped my old Athlon XP 2000 into the Soyo Dragon Plus Mobo, it showed up as an Athlon 1250Mhz! I needed to change the FSB from 100Mhz to 133Mhz. I almost garuntee this is your problem. I looks to me like the older pentiumII ran a 66Mhz FSB and the newer PII runs at 100Mhz. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

I would say that most likely you need to change your FSB setting, which could be through BIOS or a jumper, depending on the board. This is a very typical scenario when you pop a CPU into a motherboard that supports newer and older CPU's. When I first popped my old Athlon XP 2000 into the Soyo Dragon Plus Mobo, it showed up as an Athlon 1250Mhz! I needed to change the FSB from 100Mhz to 133Mhz. I almost garuntee this is your problem. I looks to me like the older pentiumII ran a 66Mhz FSB and the newer PII runs at 100Mhz. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure this is the case as well...however on such an old mobo, it will most likely require a jumper setting, and without a mobo manual, it's impossible to know for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts