Overclock.net banner

Help me select a PS3?

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  CravinR1 
#1 ·
I've been a PC gamer for as long as I have been gaming. I've never had a console before. I'm going to buy a PlayStation 3 and I need some help. So please answer these questions.

1) What are the differences between the different versions of PS3? Is any particular model better than the others hardware-wise (e.g. CPU, GPU)?
2) Does the storage capacity matter if I do not plan on storing music, movies or videos in the hard drive? Does a larger drive give better performance in games?
3) Which model from among the ones available would be best right now (e.g. slim, super slim etc.)? (I should note that I'm probably going to get it from Bangkok, if it helps)

Please feel free to let me know anything you think that I should know regarding the purchase or the PS3 itself. Also, if you don't mind, please mention the names of your favorite PS3 titles so that I can list which games to buy.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help!
smile.gif

EDIT : 4) I've come to know that consoles are classified into two types - PAL and NTSC. What is the difference between the two? Which one should I get?

See less See more
#2 ·
1) First gen can play PS2 games, other than that, there is no difference.
2) Not really, but more space means you can run more games because by default the PS3 installs games to the HDD.
3) I would go for a glossy original or a slimline right now. the ultra slim ones seem to overheat a little more often than the slimline ones, which overheated a little more often than the original glossy ones.
Plus, the PS4 is right around the corner.

• Rep+
Reactions: ahnafakeef
#3 ·
Internal specs, they are all the same. The fat ones had some features (such as being able to load linux) that the newer ones don't have, but also didn't have as good of cooling. I would personally go for the Slim version (not the super slim, which looks cheap, isn't much slimmer, and has a top loading drive vs. slot loading)

As far as storage, you can always upgrade the storage on it (which you may want to upgrade to a faster storage drive anyway for faster load times), but certain games load large portions of the game onto the HDD for quicker access.

• Rep+
Reactions: ahnafakeef
#4 ·
1) new ps3 versions uses less energy and runs cooler...but also with each version some options/quality is cuted off.

2) storage matters only if you plan downloading games from PSN + game paches also is stored on HDD.

3)For now best choise would be ps3 slim it has best preformance/quality ratio atm. PS3 super slim blue ray drive and design is made real cheap to lower prices.

From ps3 games -god of war 3 /SSX/Infamous/Uncharted .....1st killzone i did not like but 2nd one i have not tryed.

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic
For what it's worth, I go back and forth between my PS3 and gaming PC without any eye-pain. Personally, I've always been impressed with how good games like God of War and Uncharted look on console. Part of me can't seriously believe that kind of graphical prowess can be pulled out of such archaic hardware. Of course, I'm talking about PS3 exclusives. Games like Red Dead Redemption have pretty lousy character models. But we all know that gameplay trumps graphics, right? .........right?

For game recomendations, if you like shooters then should you love the Resistance and Killzone series. The Uncharted series...ok, just pick up all the PS3 exclusives, lol. Sony really has a handle on it's first party studios putting out killer IP's that really show off the power of the PS3.

#6 ·
So it seems like the slim version it is. Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have some more questions listed below that I hope you will take the time to answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

1) First gen can play PS2 games, other than that, there is no difference.
2) Not really, but more space means you can run more games because by default the PS3 installs games to the HDD.
3) I would go for a glossy original or a slimline right now. the ultra slim ones seem to overheat a little more often than the slimline ones, which overheated a little more often than the original glossy ones.
Plus, the PS4 is right around the corner.
How much space per game does it require on the HDD? and if I uninstall a game, does it also delete the updates, patches and saved games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Internal specs, they are all the same. The fat ones had some features (such as being able to load linux) that the newer ones don't have, but also didn't have as good of cooling. I would personally go for the Slim version (not the super slim, which looks cheap, isn't much slimmer, and has a top loading drive vs. slot loading)

As far as storage, you can always upgrade the storage on it (which you may want to upgrade to a faster storage drive anyway for faster load times), but certain games load large portions of the game onto the HDD for quicker access.
By faster storage drive, do you mean an SSD? If so, is it worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

1) new ps3 versions uses less energy and runs cooler...but also with each version some options/quality is cuted off.
2) storage matters only if you plan downloading games from PSN + game paches also is stored on HDD.
3)For now best choise would be ps3 slim it has best preformance/quality ratio atm. PS3 super slim blue ray drive and design is made real cheap to lower prices.

From ps3 games -god of war 3 /SSX/Infamous/Uncharted .....1st killzone i did not like but 2nd one i have not tryed.

How much space do patches require?
Also, I think I saw that the resolution of the PS3 is 1080p, or at least it was upgraded from 720p to 1080p through a firmware/software update. Aren't all games supposed to run at least on 720p if not 1080p?
I know that the graphics should be nowhere near that of the PCs. But there's nothing I can do about it, is there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead79 View Post

For what it's worth, I go back and forth between my PS3 and gaming PC without any eye-pain. Personally, I've always been impressed with how good games like God of War and Uncharted look on console. Part of me can't seriously believe that kind of graphical prowess can be pulled out of such archaic hardware. Of course, I'm talking about PS3 exclusives. Games like Red Dead Redemption have pretty lousy character models. But we all know that gameplay trumps graphics, right? .........right?

For game recomendations, if you like shooters then should you love the Resistance and Killzone series. The Uncharted series...ok, just pick up all the PS3 exclusives, lol. Sony really has a handle on it's first party studios putting out killer IP's that really show off the power of the PS3.
I shouldn't miss out on epic titles like God of War or Uncharted just because the graphics isn't satisfactory. This is actually one of the main reasons that I'm getting a PS3.
Thanks for the recommendations, but I personally think that playing shooters with a controller is a pita, especially after you've played it on a PC with a mouse and a keyboard. I'm mostly into games like GoW, DmC etc for playing with controllers.

#7 ·
some useless info about the PlayStation 3 that might interest.

The graphics on the PS3 for some reason or another are better using hdmi, which is HDCP protected - and consequentially all video streams cant be recorded by a PVR or other encoding device - sad but true

component always plays at 720p on Skyrim Blops2 or MW3, probably every other game too, no matter what you select in your display settings, HDMI gives you full 1080p if your or monitor or TV is capable

ps3 controllers are the easiest and cheapest to convert for use on PC anyway, couple files bluetooth dongle and a usb cable.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

some useless info about the PlayStation 3 that might interest.

The graphics on the PS3 for some reason or another are better using hdmi, which is HDCP protected - and consequentially all video streams cant be recorded by a PVR or other encoding device - sad but true

component always plays at 720p on Skyrim Blops2 or MW3, probably every other game too, no matter what you select in your display settings, HDMI gives you full 1080p if your or monitor or TV is capable

ps3 controllers are the easiest and cheapest to convert for use on PC anyway, couple files bluetooth dongle and a usb cable.
I plan on using it with my 1080p monitor which does not have an HDMI port. Does that put me at some kind of a disadvantage?

#10 ·
Nope, you can just get an HDMI-DVI adapter, or even an HDMI-DVI cable (one on each end) cheaply from Monoprice. A little known fact about HDMI -- it's just DVI repackaged with audio, more or less. The two signals are totally compatible. You might consider getting an HDMI switch as well, so you can have multiple inputs all going to your monitor. That's how I had it set up during my undergrad years and it worked great. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post

Nope, you can just get an HDMI-DVI adapter, or even an HDMI-DVI cable (one on each end) cheaply from Monoprice. A little known fact about HDMI -- it's just DVI repackaged with audio, more or less. The two signals are totally compatible. You might consider getting an HDMI switch as well, so you can have multiple inputs all going to your monitor. That's how I had it set up during my undergrad years and it worked great. Hope this helps.
Just a note: The monitor will need to support HDCP.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post

that's great! thanks a lot!
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed117 View Post

Just a note: The monitor will need to support HDCP.
I have a Samsung S22B300 TN monitor. How do I know whether or not it supports HDCP?

EDIT : So HDCP support basically means support for 1080p resolution? If so then I think I should be fine because my monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnafakeef View Post

that's great! thanks a lot!
smile.gif

I have a Samsung S22B300 TN monitor. How do I know whether or not it supports HDCP?

EDIT : So HDCP support basically means support for 1080p resolution? If so then I think I should be fine because my monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.
No, Link.
The manual for your screen should tell you if it had HDCP.

#14 ·
If you don't mind used, here is a good deal on a super slim
http://www.cowboom.com/product/1299928

I ordered the Warfighter / GoW saga and im supppose to get it this coming week
use Cowboom10 to take off 10 bucks.

#15 ·
Quote:

No, Link.
The manual for your screen should tell you if it had HDCP.
Found the manual that came in the box. turned out it was just an installation guide. the manual in the provided CD is the same one as the one that can be found on this page : Link

The manual does not have any mention of the monitor supporting HDCP. Does this mean my monitor does not support it? I'll be awaiting your feedback. Thank you.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetalaj0 View Post

If you don't mind used, here is a good deal on a super slim
http://www.cowboom.com/product/1299928

I ordered the Warfighter / GoW saga and im supppose to get it this coming week
use Cowboom10 to take off 10 bucks.
I appreciate your concern but I don't have that choice. Either my dad will be picking it up from Bangkok, or I'm just going to get it from a local store here in Dhaka. Thanks anyways!
smile.gif

#17 ·
Quote:

Im not very knowledgeable on HDCP. But this may help. Link

The ps3 will only work on monitors that support HDCP when connected via HDMI/DVI.

Edit: Worse case scenario is you could use a converter i suppose.
That is the very link I consulted earlier to come to the conclusion that HDCP support and 1080p support means the same thing.

According to the article, if the monitor correctly displays 1080p resolution upon selecting it from the Screen Resolution dialog box, the monitor supports HDCP. My monitor does it without any problem since its a 1080p monitor. If that article is to be believed, shouldnt my monitor support HDCP?

About the edit : So if I use a converter it should be fine?

#18 ·
Quote:

Found the manual that came in the box. turned out it was just an installation guide. the manual in the provided CD is the same one as the one that can be found on this page : Link

The manual does not have any mention of the monitor supporting HDCP. Does this mean my monitor does not support it? I'll be awaiting your feedback. Thank you.
smile.gif

I appreciate your concern but I don't have that choice. Either my dad will be picking it up from Bangkok, or I'm just going to get it from a local store here in Dhaka. Thanks anyways!
smile.gif
My bad lol, i didnt see a location so i assumed US.

#19 ·
I have NEVER EVER EVER played a game on a PC... but I do have a ps3.. FINALLY a topic or something I know about, and I can finally make a contribution on Overclock.net forums!!

1. In addition to what others have already said...Certain versions of the original PS3 were backwards compatible.. the original 20/60gb version had the h/w capability to play ps1 and ps2 games.. the 80gb has emulation s/w to play ps1 and ps2 games..

2. Storage capacity DOES MATTER regardless of whether you are a Playstion PLUS member or not(i.e. downloadable games and content), Take my case for example.. at the time when I got 80gb fat ps3, it was the largest hdd out there and we(myself included) all thought, NO WAY would I ever come close to filling up this bad boy...3yrs later I am finding myself deleting OLD games and game saves and demo's off the ps3 in order to free up space to download new demos and play new games..

I'm about to post my own d@m topic on HOW TO UPGRADE your ps3 HDD on the cheap... asking for help that is..

3. Probably say SLIM, as its not as crappy(cheaply made) as the Super SLIMs and it will have a larger hard drive then the original 80gb(last of the BC) version...

4. Pal v/s NTSC? well no worries my friend as PS3 games are REGION FREE, however your TV may not be able to handle Pal or vice versa, not handle NTSC, but as long as you have an HDTV then it shouldn't matter as most HDTV's support 60hz and above so it should not be a concern, unless you have a Kmart EL CHEAPO crap TV..

Games to play, I would recommend the God Of War(GoW), Killzone, as well as Red Dead Redemption, Assasin's Creed, FarCry 3,

The cool thing is most of those games have now been released as Collections!! Example, The GoW Collections includes GoW 1, 2, 3, AND the psp versoins, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. all for $40!! That is not a bad deal at all!! That collection alone will keep ya busy for months!!

Let us know what you get playa

oNe

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phabeon View Post

I have NEVER EVER EVER played a game on a PC... but I do have a ps3.. FINALLY a topic or something I know about, and I can finally make a contribution on Overclock.net forums!!

1. In addition to what others have already said...Certain versions of the original PS3 were backwards compatible.. the original 20/60gb version had the h/w capability to play ps1 and ps2 games.. the 80gb has emulation s/w to play ps1 and ps2 games..

2. Storage capacity DOES MATTER regardless of whether you are a Playstion PLUS member or not(i.e. downloadable games and content), Take my case for example.. at the time when I got 80gb fat ps3, it was the largest hdd out there and we(myself included) all thought, NO WAY would I ever come close to filling up this bad boy...3yrs later I am finding myself deleting OLD games and game saves and demo's off the ps3 in order to free up space to download new demos and play new games..

I'm about to post my own d@m topic on HOW TO UPGRADE your ps3 HDD on the cheap... asking for help that is..

3. Probably say SLIM, as its not as crappy(cheaply made) as the Super SLIMs and it will have a larger hard drive then the original 80gb(last of the BC) version...

4. Pal v/s NTSC? well no worries my friend as PS3 games are REGION FREE, however your TV may not be able to handle Pal or vice versa, not handle NTSC, but as long as you have an HDTV then it shouldn't matter as most HDTV's support 60hz and above so it should not be a concern, unless you have a Kmart EL CHEAPO crap TV..

Games to play, I would recommend the God Of War(GoW), Killzone, as well as Red Dead Redemption, Assasin's Creed, FarCry 3,

The cool thing is most of those games have now been released as Collections!! Example, The GoW Collections includes GoW 1, 2, 3, AND the psp versoins, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. all for $40!! That is not a bad deal at all!! That collection alone will keep ya busy for months!!

Let us know what you get playa

oNe
Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time for it.

i) How much space does each game occupy on the hard drive? Or rather, how many games will I be able to store on a 250GB drive? Is it worth getting the 500GB version over the 250GB one?
ii) I'm worried about PAL vs NTSC because I'm going to play on my PC monitor. It supports 1080p resolution, but I'm not sure whether it supports HDCP or not, which is required according to Disturbed117. Do you know of any disadvantages of playing on a monitor instead of on a TV?
iii) I've heard from someone that games can be played without installing on the hard drive, that is directly from the disc itself. If this is true, wouldn't it make the larger hard drives unnecessary?
iv) Would buying the system with a game bundle like the GoW Ascension bundle save me more money, or would buying the system separately from the games save me more?

Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

#21 ·
Quote:

Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time for it.

i) How much space does each game occupy on the hard drive? Or rather, how many games will I be able to store on a 250GB drive? Is it worth getting the 500GB version over the 250GB one?
ii) I'm worried about PAL vs NTSC because I'm going to play on my PC monitor. It supports 1080p resolution, but I'm not sure whether it supports HDCP or not, which is required according to Disturbed117. Do you know of any disadvantages of playing on a monitor instead of on a TV?
iii) I've heard from someone that games can be played without installing on the hard drive, that is directly from the disc itself. If this is true, wouldn't it make the larger hard drives unnecessary?
iv) Would buying the system with a game bundle like the GoW Ascension bundle save me more money, or would buying the system separately from the games save me more?

Thanks a lot!
smile.gif
Honestly how much are you ACTUALLY going tp play it? From my own experiences a lot of the games (Id say about 80%) require a full or partial install. If you plan to play a huge variety of games it may be worth it to go with the 500gb off the bat since those installs and digital downloads, and demos add up. But keep in mind the PS3 is pretty open so you can toss a bigger hard drive in there at anytime and it doesn't have to be Sony branded.

#22 ·
no worries man, I usually am you, i.e. the one with the 1000 inane questions...

1. Each game is different.. some games ONLY store you game saves onto the ps3.. i.e. your game save points(each time you make a save) those files are usually pretty small..

while OTHERs (as said before) install larger data on the game to hopefully improve load times.. in addition to your game saves..

So all games are different and there really is no way to know until you actully get the game..

Also if you look on the back of the box of the game, it will tell you how much HDD is required, it will say how much HDD this particular game requires.

Example: Look at the back of Farcry 3, it requires 3.5GB of HDD MINIMUM!!

250gb v/s 500gb would then be up to you.. 250gb is ALOt, I think that would hold you down for like 2-3 years.. and if you run out you can always install your own HDD into the ps3.. So I would probably say go with the 250gb version, UNLESS the 500gb is not that much more..

2. The only advantage of using HDTV v/s a monitor is that with the HDTV you are guaranteed that it will work..since all HDTV's support 60hz and above.. whereas with the monitor, well you would have to find out if it supports HDCP or not.. you may need to contact the manufacturer if google cannot resolve for you..

3. YES, that is true.. but NOT true for all games.. SOME games require a HDD installation.. see my example above.. Farcry 3 is an awesome game but as you see from the game package, IT DOES require a HDD installation.. 3.5gb's minimum to be exact..

4. hehe, depends on the prices you see.. for example in America, the GoW Collections game is going for about $40 american right now..

As far as the Game System PS3 bundles.. for example the 250gb Infamous PS3 Bundle is $230 right now at Bestbuy.com whereas at the same store a 160gb Ps3 game system is $300, so in this case yes, the bundle would save you $$$ but not sure how that is gon be where you stay at..

check it out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PlayStation-3-PS3/PlayStation-3-PS3-Hardware-Console/abcat0703001.c?id=abcat0703001

hope this helps!

oNe

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetalaj0 View Post

Honestly how much are you ACTUALLY going tp play it? From my own experiences a lot of the games (Id say about 80%) require a full or partial install. If you plan to play a huge variety of games it may be worth it to go with the 500gb off the bat since those installs and digital downloads, and demos add up. But keep in mind the PS3 is pretty open so you can toss a bigger hard drive in there at anytime and it doesn't have to be Sony branded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phabeon View Post

no worries man, I usually am you, i.e. the one with the 1000 inane questions...

1. Each game is different.. some games ONLY store you game saves onto the ps3.. i.e. your game save points(each time you make a save) those files are usually pretty small..

while OTHERs (as said before) install larger data on the game to hopefully improve load times.. in addition to your game saves..

So all games are different and there really is no way to know until you actully get the game..

Also if you look on the back of the box of the game, it will tell you how much HDD is required, it will say how much HDD this particular game requires.

Example: Look at the back of Farcry 3, it requires 3.5GB of HDD MINIMUM!!

250gb v/s 500gb would then be up to you.. 250gb is ALOt, I think that would hold you down for like 2-3 years.. and if you run out you can always install your own HDD into the ps3.. So I would probably say go with the 250gb version, UNLESS the 500gb is not that much more..

2. The only advantage of using HDTV v/s a monitor is that with the HDTV you are guaranteed that it will work..since all HDTV's support 60hz and above.. whereas with the monitor, well you would have to find out if it supports HDCP or not.. you may need to contact the manufacturer if google cannot resolve for you..

3. YES, that is true.. but NOT true for all games.. SOME games require a HDD installation.. see my example above.. Farcry 3 is an awesome game but as you see from the game package, IT DOES require a HDD installation.. 3.5gb's minimum to be exact..

4. hehe, depends on the prices you see.. for example in America, the GoW Collections game is going for about $40 american right now..

As far as the Game System PS3 bundles.. for example the 250gb Infamous PS3 Bundle is $230 right now at Bestbuy.com whereas at the same store a 160gb Ps3 game system is $300, so in this case yes, the bundle would save you $$$ but not sure how that is gon be where you stay at..

check it out: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PlayStation-3-PS3/PlayStation-3-PS3-Hardware-Console/abcat0703001.c?id=abcat0703001

hope this helps!

oNe
Seems like 250GB should be more than enough for playing just the exclusives. Thanks a lot for the input. I'll post back in this thread if I have more questions.
smile.gif

#24 ·
I will have a God of war red PS3 here tomorrow (super slim)

My son has the slim for the past few years

Basically the super slim has better and quiter fans and a mechanical bluray instead of slot loading

I chose the super slim due to the god of war games and the price of $350 with 500 gig hd vs a slim of $279 with 320 gig hd and no free games.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.