Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

This problem has been vexing me for years, and if someone solves it the rep fairy will sprinkle you with his magic pixie dust.

Hibernation is off. Sleep mode is off - power scheme is "High Performance". Disk goes to sleep after 20 minutes, screen goes to sleep after 5.

Here's the problem - sometimes when I wake the screen, it's blank. Not powerless, it's got input, but the input is just a 1440x2560 mess of purest black. This happened with:

My old mobo/RAM
My new mobo/RAM
My 6950
My R9 280X
My R9 290

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

I figure it's got to be an OS thing. So... any guesses? If I turn the monitor off/on it makes no difference, but if I unplug the DVI cable (used to use HDMI for my 1080p monitor) then plug it back in, everything's fine. The machine is responsive and the monitor does not complain about no signal.

·
Random Eventer
2,564 Posts
Maybe try and use a different cable with the monitor?
My brother has a problem like this with his DVI cable was bad.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh View Post

Hi all.

This problem has been vexing me for years, and if someone solves it the rep fairy will sprinkle you with his magic pixie dust.

Hibernation is off. Sleep mode is off - power scheme is "High Performance". Disk goes to sleep after 20 minutes, screen goes to sleep after 5.

Here's the problem - sometimes when I wake the screen, it's blank. Not powerless, it's got input, but the input is just a 1440x2560 mess of purest black. This happened with:

My old mobo/RAM
My new mobo/RAM
My 6950
My R9 280X
My R9 290

Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

I figure it's got to be an OS thing. So... any guesses? If I turn the monitor off/on it makes no difference, but if I unplug the DVI cable (used to use HDMI for my 1080p monitor) then plug it back in, everything's fine. The machine is responsive and the monitor does not complain about no signal.
That's a very strange problem. I don't think it's an OS issue. You've already ruled out the motherboard - happens with with old one and new one. You've already ruled out the graphics card as well. Next logical step is to rule out the monitor. Do you by chance have a spare monitor in the house? If not, do you have any friends that might?

Also is this a single or dual-monitor setup you have?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye12977 View Post

Maybe try and use a different cable with the monitor?
My brother has a problem like this with his DVI cable was bad.
Hey.

I used to get this problem on my 1080p, but I now also get it on my 1440p. The 1080p used a HDMI cable, this 1440p uses DVID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChosenOne View Post

That's a very strange problem. I don't think it's an OS issue. You've already ruled out the motherboard - happens with with old one and new one. You've already ruled out the graphics card as well. Next logical step is to rule out the monitor. Do you by chance have a spare monitor in the house? If not, do you have any friends that might?

Also is this a single or dual-monitor setup you have?
Single monitor - monitor has been replaced and the issue persists. You don't think it's an OS issue? I guess not. Perhaps I should get a mod to move this to GPUs or monitors
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahSpankeh View Post

Single monitor - monitor has been replaced and the issue persists. You don't think it's an OS issue? I guess not. Perhaps I should get a mod to move this to GPUs or monitors
biggrin.gif
I said that initially because you didn't tell us in your original post that you already replaced the monitor. But who knows? I certainly don't have a crystal ball and I haven't looked at everything on the PC. You said in your OP:

"...Disk goes to sleep after 20 minutes, screen goes to sleep after 5."

As a troubleshooting step, set the disk goes to sleep to never. Enter a value of 0 in the advanced power configuration setting. If the problem is fixed by doing this, you can narrow down the focus further to something related to your HDD. It could possibly be related to the firmware on your HDD/SSD.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChosenOne View Post

I said that initially because you didn't tell us in your original post that you already replaced the monitor. But who knows? I certainly don't have a crystal ball and I haven't looked at everything on the PC. You said in your OP:

"...Disk goes to sleep after 20 minutes, screen goes to sleep after 5."

As a troubleshooting step, set the disk goes to sleep to never. Enter a value of 0 in the advanced power configuration setting. If the problem is fixed by doing this, you can narrow down the focus further to something related to your HDD. It could possibly be related to the firmware on your HDD/SSD.
Good thinking! Tried that, no dice. Randomly blackscreened again.

IT seems to happen after the screen is turned off; the GPU sends a signal to the screen, but it's just all black pixels. If I set screen going to sleep never, it doesn't happen at all.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3p0c3p0 View Post

Some ideas:

Try on/off energysaving on your monitormenü. Maybe let the monitor go into energysaving and the pc only into S3.
If your bios supports this set S3 mode from auto to yes and S4 mode to no

Also have a look at that hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;977307&sd=rss&spid=14481

kb977307
Board doesn't support it and hotfix isn't the right one (applied it even though not relevant to issue, no difference
biggrin.gif
).

OK, I shall move onto the AMD forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts