Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trying to stabilize my i7 930 on my evga 758 motherboard. I am using a dedicated WC loop for the cpu with a 120x3 rad, although my temps aren't very good (something I'm working on in the water cooling section). Temps usually hover between 75-82C during the day and they stay in the 70's when I open the window at night.

Anyways, I'm currently at 4.2 (201x21) and after anywhere from 6-15 minutes of prime95, I sometimes get BSOD with some random two-digit code, BSOD with error code 124, or one of the workers errors out. What should I tweak?

I haven't messed with memory settings much at all. Let me know if you see anything that looks suspect, I'm fairly new to overclocking.

*These images are being updates every time I find a more stable setting, so check back here before you post!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bump it back up to 1.88, although I noticed no difference in stability between 1.80 and 1.88. I've read that lowering CPU PLL in some cases can increase stability?

Thanks for the tip +1

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just wondering, do you have LLC enabled? If you don't, definitely do it. If I turn it off my go to 24/7stable setting (216x19) won't even pass 5 runs of IBT before BSOD.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Without VDroop = LLC on. And the reason you wouldn't pass 5 passes with it off is because the way your mobo delivers voltage to your CPU changes. LLC on makes the voltage you set be the minimum voltage your CPU receives. LLC off makes the voltage you set be the maximum voltage your CPU receives. I personally prefer to leave LLC off.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The thing I didn't like about LLC was that under load my voltage would go much higher than needed. My CPU isn't that great and needed 1.35v to load into Windows at 4GHz with LLC on, this would spike to almost 1.4v (this was with the default BIOS though, hadn't updated maybe they fixed it). With LLC off I have my voltage set to 1.375v in my BIOS but sitting at idle in Windows it's at 1.352 and it actually drops to 1.35v under load. I just prefer the peace of mind that my CPU won't get more than what I tell it to.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I was able to get 1.5hrs of stability in Prime95 with the new settings (I have modified the original post as well) before BSOD with code 124. Should I dare push the VTT to 1.4? Or is something else the problem? Thanks!

PS: I also upped the PWM frequency from 800 to 933mhz

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
You shouldnt need more than 1.35v QPI/Vtt. CPU PLL, shouldnt need more than 1.80v.

BSOD 124: increase/decrease vcore or QPI/Vtt

More is not always better on the QPI/Vtt

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I would personally push my QPI up a lil more before I'd add more to VTT. When you set your VTT that high were you incrementally increasing it or did you just put it to +275? You might want to bring that down to like +225-250 just to see if it helps. I also have no experience with upping the PWM frequency.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey.
There are some serious misunderstandings about VTT these days.
I'd hardly recommend you to push it down and upper your core voltage.in order to get a rather "stable" 4.2 O.C. I had to increase the Core Voltage by 100mV,although the VTT was only running at + 80mV.
Please try to lower your VTT as I am almost sure that this really messes up your temps.Good Luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys,

I got it up to about 3.5 hours stable in Prime95. After about 3-3.5 hours I got BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What does this mean?

Here are my current settings (also updated original post)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maytridy View Post
Hey guys,

I got it up to about 3.5 hours stable in Prime95. After about 3-3.5 hours I got BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What does this mean?

Here are my current settings (also updated original post)

most of the time that error is memory.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, that's what I thought too but I just tested each of my three ram sticks individually and each one was stable through 12 passes (about 3 hours each) of memtest86.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Current problem is IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after about 3.5hrs in prime95

1 - 20 of 28 Posts