Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

So I'm basically running my 9900KS on a Gigabyte Designare Z390 with 4 sticks of Trident Z PC3200 CL14 and a Noctua NH-U12A.

I use it without a GPU with the internal graphics hooked up via HDMI.

I already tried bunch of things.

Mainly, when I had used it for Gaming (with a 2080 Ti which i don't have anymore, it ran stably) but as soon as I used Audio Editing Apps, it would crash and sometimes flash for a second and throw out my usb devices, which is basically a CPU error.

Are there things you can recommend to me to test stability?

Aida FPU doesn't suffice apparently because while I'm stable in there, even though it does a nice load on the CPU, as soon as I start anything other than Games, it just crashes very often.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,425 Posts
What PSU do you have in your system and yes that matters

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,531 Posts
It would be informational to know your temperatures too -- cpu and VRM mosfet temps. Tom's Hardware rated this board as mediocre for overclocking, so the VRM may not be sufficient for a CPU that is trying to boost to 5GHz on all cores.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be informational to know your temperatures too -- cpu and VRM mosfet temps. Tom's Hardware rated this board as mediocre for overclocking, so the VRM may not be sufficient for a CPU that is trying to boost to 5GHz on all cores.
They don't go beyond 70 degrees and the board was actually ranked up in the higher tier with good vrms.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something I have noticed, actually running the multicore enhancement in stock requires a lot less voltage and provides better temps than my expertly tweaked bios which let's the CPU run a lot hotter and requires much more voltage which is weird.

When I disable multicore enhancement on my BIOS, c-states et cetera, bring up the power limit as high as I can, then I have to run the CPU at probably 1.345 for stability with medium LLC.

When I activate multicore enhancement, it runs at 5 GHz as well but with 1.3 volts, which is so damn weird, that's 45 millivolts less.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,425 Posts
850 watts EVGA Gold
What model the brand and 80 plus rating does not tell us anything as they have half a dozen units that fit that description

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you list all your relevant voltages?
It runs fine with Aida 64 FPU only in LLC Medium:

It was fine in Games always but using creative Apps such as Avid's Pro Tools has probably spikes that make it crash so it only runs stable in a controlled environment.

·
Just hangin' out
1,309 Posts

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,531 Posts
A decent preliminary stress test (about 20minutes) is the blender benchmark suite from OpenData, which stresses AVX mildly but not crazy like P95. This is better than Realbench. For me personally, I like to loop 5x build of the GCC compiler in Linux as a final check, which is even more intensive than the blender benchmarks. I guess for Windows, you could loop 2 builds of Chrome or something, which is what GamersNexus used to do for benching CPUs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts