Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to tighten my timings to gain a little performance and general system performance.

I'm currently running my memory at 1666mhz, 1.701v at CAS9. (the sticks are rated for 1600mhz, 1.65v, cas9) Here is a BIOS screen. I'm trying to get them as low as possible:

I know the voltage maybe be a little excessive for a 66mhz overclock, but the ram appears to be picky at what settings it will run.

This is the kit i own:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=15518

Should i try running CAS8 first?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Try lowering the timings. Take it one at a time, then use MaxxMem, SuperPi 1M and IntelBurnTest high/max 5-10 passes to test (these stability tests are much faster than what you usually use i.e. Prime95).

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so i just changed the CAS latency, TRCD and TRP to 8. what next? stress testing?

EDIT: Ran a prime95 blend test and it failed instantly.

·
Registered
513 Posts
what is your CPU NB Voltage set at? U may have to give that a bump. Also, try keeping tRCD at 9 although i'm mega surprised it's failing at that. You may be giving your ram too much voltage too...

What is your FSB running at (HTT) Is it around 250?

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My FSB is 250x14.5 (3.625Ghz)

Is there a way I can view these other voltages without going into the BIOS? If not I'll take some screens of my BIOS again.

I believe i currently have HT and NV voltages at 1.3v, at 2500mhz. I'll reboot and check to confirm this.

Please tell me EXACTLY what i need to change in the memory timings, not just "keep this one here or that one there" please. I'm very noob at this

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I really don't think you'll need to touch anything other than the tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, tWR and tRC. tRC should be the tRP + tRAS. tWR should be the same as tCL. tRAS should often be tCL + tRCD + tRP but doesn't necessarily have to be.

·
Iconoclast
30,646 Posts
With the exception of tRFC, all of the subtimings look pretty tight already.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. And what should I change them to, that will get me to CAS8?

Currently those settings you listed are:

tCL = 9
tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 24
tWR = 10
tRC = 34

If you would kindly copy that and put in what I need to get CAS8 I'll go do that. Will I need to increase voltage or is 1.7v already enough?

BIOS screens again:

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93
View Post

Okay. And what should I change them to, that will get me to CAS8?

Currently those settings you listed are:

tCL = 9
tRCD = 9
tRP = 9
tRAS = 24
tWR = 10
tRC = 34

If you would kindly copy that and put in what I need to get CAS8 I'll go do that. Will I need to increase voltage or is 1.7v already enough?

BIOS screens again:

tCL = 8
tRCD = 8
tRP = 8
tRAS = 24
tWR = 8
tRC = 32

Try this. Lowering timings one at a time works best (since some timings may work and some not, i.e. tRCD does not want to go below 8 in my case with the ECO's).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How does the board detect these sticks at stock? Keep those stock timings and only lower the first four and TRC. If you get them any lower then only lower the rest. I find this method works well for me

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just entered the settings xd 1771 told me to and a prime95 blend test failed on workers #2 and #4 within 5 minutes. What next?

The sticks defaulted to CAS9 @ 1333mhz but I then fixed that to 1600mhz, 1.65v and left the timings alone. then overclocked, lowered the divider otherwise they woul be running at 2000mhz which didn't boot.

EDIT: Just ran IBT on maximum stress, 5 runs and it passed in ~78 seconds. What does this mean? RAM was loaded up to 89% usage according to my G15 LCD.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
Yes but which ones? just the 9-9-9-24 ones or are there any others i need to change?
that is all you want to change. and then the command rate? (what ever 1T 2T is).

Leave everything else at auto, it'll help in stability. You'll probably need to up the voltage (i surely had to) to get the memory stable. You should first try lowering the 9 to an 8, see if its stable, then drop the next 9 down to an 8 and see if its stable. And work from there.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
I just entered the settings xd 1771 told me to and a prime95 blend test failed on workers #2 and #4 within 5 minutes. What next?

The sticks defaulted to CAS9 @ 1333mhz but I then fixed that to 1600mhz, 1.65v and left the timings alone. then overclocked, lowered the divider otherwise they woul be running at 2000mhz which didn't boot.

EDIT: Just ran IBT on maximum stress, 5 runs and it passed in ~78 seconds. What does this mean? RAM was loaded up to 89% usage according to my G15 LCD.
Like I said, take it gradually, one at a time. i.e. 9-9-9-24-33, 8-9-9-24-33, 8-9-8-24-33, 8-8-8-24-33... with stability tests in between of course. It might only be one of those values that doesn't want to go down, such as the tRCD; if you are able to lower the other values further, you might get something such as 7-9-7-24 in the end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts