Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build a new rig to replace my xeon e3-1230v3, and 8700k is my target. Now I need a solid mobo to pair with it. I'm not a fanboy of rgb or "gaming" marketing board, I just need a decent OC without overheating or others vrm issues. Budget is about $200.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Not a fan of RGB and around $200?

Asrock Z370 Taichi is my pick for you. It isn't gamer-marketed, has decent VRM (10 phase Dual-N channel mosfet), it has a Dual BIOS switch with 2 BIOS chips and has decent overall featureset.

If you want to cut the budget and have a case with decent airflow the Asrock Z370 Extreme4 is alright and still retains a Dual BIOS. It sometimes goes on sale for ~ $125.

Other boards to look at:
MSI Z370 SLI PLUS has dropped to ~ $110-120 before. It has most features that are on higher end boards but saves a bit of cost via the inductors.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will the Z370 Taichi or AORUS GAMING 7...still debating!

Asrock Z370 Taichi is my pick for you. It isn't gamer-marketed, has decent VRM (10 phase Dual-N channel mosfet), it has a Dual BIOS switch with 2 BIOS chips and has decent overall featureset.

If you want to cut the budget and have a case with decent airflow the Asrock Z370 Extreme4 is alright and still retains a Dual BIOS. It sometimes goes on sale for ~ $125.

Other boards to look at:
MSI Z370 SLI PLUS has dropped to ~ $110-120 before. It has most features that are on higher end boards but saves a bit of cost via the inductors.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

Other boards to look at:
I've been shopping around for a similar system.
Every time I try to compare OC boards, Asrock always has more for less. Even the cheaper boards have 10 phase power.
I love my Asus Sabertooth MKII+4690k and thought I'd always buy Asus boards but when you compare all the vendors dollar for dollar, Asrock seems the better choice for my needs.
I also dislike the RGB stuff but don't ignore a board because it has RGB, you can turn that stuff off.

Does the taichi have any known issues?
Just do some google work on that one. Everyone has a bunk board here and there or even a bad design sometimes but as long as z370 has been out, they should have all the bugs worked out of most boards.
Gigabyte released a redesigned board on their line up so I'm sure Asrock would have done the same.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
At its price point, the Taichi has 1x1 Intel WLAN/BT combom dual Intel NICs with teaming.
Thunderbolt 3 AIC connector if you have. Rear IO is a bit sparse with the USB-A count, you'll probably need to make good use of the internal USB headers and hubs on your chassis.

Fortunately on ASRock boards, you're able to turn off the RGB puke (presumably the chipset heat sink for this model) right from the BIOS. The "RGB controller" isn't affected by the main BIOS it seems and the config stays through CMOS resets and BIOS flashes so that's a plus. It's unlike aura sync for ASUS, the board just cycles through random colors when there's power through the 24 pin atx connector.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just a nitpick but with the Gaming 7 you get excellent VRMs. The issue is that there is no adaptive mode, where only offset exists. Also memory overclocking for me has been 100% miss. I cant dial in any timings that would properly work. XMP works The memory issue is so bad i have given up overclocking on this board and will opt for an different brand next time.
My vote is for Taichi.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can vouch for the Z370 Taichi. Awesome board, and yep, you can turn off the RBG from the BIOS or the AsRock software if you choose to install it. The wireless card that is included it is okay, I had some issues with a slow connection. Youtube searching some driver setting fixes for the Intel AC 3168 helped solve the slow wireless speeds I was having. I'll actually be swapping it out for a better one to have native compatibility for the hackintosh/windows environment I'll be setting up in the near future. Also, the 3 NVMe slots are fantastic.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
You need to set power savings to no SMPS and roaming aggressiveness to med-low at least. The defaults are "laptop optimised" so it hops across different APs better outdoors at the cost of bandwidth and throughput consistency when they get on notebooks.
But if its going to a hackintosh I guess that shouldn't bother you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am using this motherboard Gigabyte Z370N WiFi ITX and I love it.

Has 2 nvme m.2 slots, supports latest i7 8700k and DDR4 memory with XMP profiles up to 4200 and above with overclocking.
This is the hottest one in ITX or even in the entire Z370 products.

i7 8700, Prime95 Small FFTs, Thermalright AXP-200
CPU 83C after 5 minutes
VRM 92C after 5 minutes

Thermalright AXP-200 (6 heat pipes) -> Noctua NH-L9X65 (2 heat pipes)
CPU 96C after 1 minute

The double-2280-slot is not so useful in my case because M.2 22110 Enterprise SSD bulk packs are much cheaper than M.2 2280 retail SSDs but neither of the two M.2 2280 slots can adapt it.

Personally if you want a small size PC, I'll suggest you purchasing ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac or EVGA Z370 Micro.
EVGA one doesn't support HDMI 2.0 so it can't output HDR on TV.

·
Registered
18 Posts

CPU 83C after 5 minutes
VRM 92C after 5 minutes

CPU 96C after 1 minute

The double-2280-slot is not so useful in my case because M.2 22110 Enterprise SSD bulk packs are much cheaper than M.2 2280 retail SSDs but neither of the two M.2 2280 slots can adapt it.

Personally if you want a small size PC, I'll suggest you purchasing ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac or EVGA Z370 Micro.
I am using this mobo in a Node 202 case and love it. Here is my mini itx build.
I am also running two Samsung 960 EVO 500GB in Raid 0 so i am fully utilizing the nvme m.2 slots.
I have nothing but good things to say about this motherboard.

·
Registered
74 Posts

CPU 83C after 5 minutes
VRM 92C after 5 minutes

CPU 96C after 1 minute

I am using this mobo in a Node 202 case and love it. Here is my mini itx build.
I am also running two Samsung 960 EVO 500GB in Raid 0 so i am fully utilizing the nvme m.2 slots.
I have nothing but good things to say about this motherboard.
You didn't perform an AVX2 workload.
8700/K and the VRM are much hotter when performing AVX2 workloads.
For the price, 960EVO 500GB retail = SM953 960GB bulk in my country so I definitely choose the latter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts