Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is to help understand my ram settings. I had bought this in my puter thinking it had the XMP profile but it does NOT.

So what do I manually set my ram at in the BIOS?
Is it running 1600Mhz or is it running 1333Mhz. I done got confused again.

Here is complete chip specs.. From Kingston's Ram http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_2G.pdf

Thx.

·
Registered
728 Posts
check on cpu-z what your currently running. i couldnt open the link. but im guessing you want to get 1600mhz, theres a setting in your bios to set it mhz. setting should be 800 (i think) because thats multiplied by two = 1600mhz

you could also play around with the timings..but theres really no big difference in real life usage between 1333 and 1600mhz..unless your benchmarking.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I checked the link and it works for me.. may need PDF stuff for it.

Anyways I trying to gather all the intell on this before I go in there again and try things.
Benchmarkings is what the OC is all about !!!

Thx for you thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
CPU-Z -> Memory tab -> DRAM Frequency value -> multiply by 2
  • That is your current RAM speed

Did you buy the 3 sticks individually rather than in a kit?

The sticks are rated for 1600MHz 9-9-9-27 @ 1.7-1.9V --or--1333MHz 9-9-9 @ 1.5V.

Official Intel spec on the i7 920 is for 1.65V or below on the DRAM. If you want to stay within that value, you're probably shooting for using 1333MHz speed or below, at 1.5V. 1600MHz is possible, but you may have to put more voltage into it. In terms of real-world performance, you shouldn't notice a difference between either.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm.. Figures I'd like to get it to the 1600Mhz setting..

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I need to tweak my Bios setting then? Correct?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post
So I need to tweak my Bios setting then? Correct?
Your sig says 3.2GHz on the processor, and your RAM is running at 1224MHz...

I'm guessing your BCLK is at 153, with the CPU multi set to 21x (153 x 21 = 3200) and the memory multiplier set to 8x (153 x 8 = 1224).

If that's the case, simply change your memory multiplier to 10x (153 x 10 = 1530MHz). You'll be slightly under 1600, with the same overclock on your processor.

You'll likely need to increase your DRAM voltage to do this. Try 1.65V to begin with.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I changed it in the bios but the scaores are the same as the previous?

Ok I retry it now BRB

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o I changed it and that did the trick. Now I left the Voltage at 1.7 is that going to be to harsh on it?

Dram Freq is now 764.7Mhz

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryBummer View Post
o I changed it and that did the trick. Now I left the Voltage at 1.7 is that going to be to harsh on it?

Dram Freq is now 764.7Mhz
Glad to hear it.

The actual frequency is double what CPU-Z reads, so it's running at ~1530 like I guessed it would be - that's correct.

1.7V shouldn't be a problem.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK thx Much..

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
1.7v is fine. Just make sure you keep memory voltage within 0.5v of the memory controller voltage (some boards call it QPI, some call it VTT) or else bad things may occur.

My board, which will gladly let me run the processor at 2.05v, automatically adjusts the QPI/VTT voltage to remain with 0.5v of the memory voltage.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll keep that in mind. I still havea gremlin in the system somewhere. I am starting to think a setting is off somewhere.
Trial and error.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
1.7v is fine. Just make sure you keep memory voltage within 0.5v of the memory controller voltage (some boards call it QPI, some call it VTT) or else bad things may occur.

My board, which will gladly let me run the processor at 2.05v, automatically adjusts the QPI/VTT voltage to remain with 0.5v of the memory voltage.
OK I went in and checked the voltage and QPI/VTT Voltage is at 1.175 and my Dram at 1.700V

1 - 19 of 19 Posts