Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have a request from anybody who's into water cooling since I'm not. I'd like to water cool my 980Ti SLI. I checked the EK's website and found out that EK-FC980 GTX Ti TF5 - Nickel GPU block is compatible with my cards. I also have a 240mm radiator space available. So what is the cheapest route to water cool my 980Ti's with these blocks? Could you list me parts to buy etc...?

P.S.The cards are in adjacent slots by the way so you have to keep that in mind.

P.S.2: I'm cooling my CPU with AIO, so no need for CPU cooling parts.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
240mm x 30mm "Full Copper" Rad - ($54 PerformancePC)

EK DCP 2.2 - ($45 PerformancePC)

Swiftech MCRES - ($25 PerformancePC)

120mm Yate Loons - ($34 Amazon)

Fittings, Tube, Water - $50

Total: ~$208

Everyone will bag on the DCP 2.2 but it's a tried and true pump with plenty of head for two GPU blocks. You might be able to source cheaper parts, but those parts about out as cheap as it gets without using pond equipment.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Id get something a lil thicker then a 30mm rad if your space allows. 30mm is the bare minimum, yes i know thickness doesnt matter but theres quite a big difference between 30 and 45, more so then 45-60.

A 240 (depending on the rad) will dissipate about 200W of heat or so for a delta of 10C. Pretty sure the 980tis in sli do quite a bit more. You have to consider with all that wattage if water temps might get too hot.

Its not worth doing unless youre doing it right. Me personally with a 240mm rad i wouldnt do it for SLI 980tis.

·
Premium Member
5,092 Posts
Water cooling really isn't something you should try and get into with the intention of being cheap. Cheapest isn't always the best as it'll just make you want to upgrade sooner (ask me how I know) due to performance issues, maintenance headaches, or ascetics.

240mm of rad space isn't much for two flagship cards but it will work okay as long as your not going crazy with the volts. For pumps most people recommend either the MCP655 (D5) or the MCP355 (DDC). Either will work in your case.

Final word: You'll have probably $1400ish in GPUs and GPU blocks. Spend the extra $100-$200 to build a quality loop around them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts