Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional on a computer I built myself (Phenom II x4 965 and 12GB RAM), and in the last few days I've been experiencing extreme performance problems. It will take slightly longer to reach the login screen, a few seconds longer than usual to reach the desktop after logging in, and then the real problems start. It takes a VERY long time for this to become responsive, say for me to open the start menu or Pale Moon. Having done so, I can SOMETIMES get several minutes of good performance out of the web browser, but then it freezes up and so does the rest of the computer. This problem is NOT exclusive to Pale Moon; the same thing happens if I open Chrome or attempt to use other programs. Resource Monitor does not show any runaway CPU or RAM use when this occurs.

One annoying property is that I have ZERO PROBLEMS when running in Safe Mode w/ Networking. If I boot into this, I can run Pale Moon with many tabs, Chrome with many tabs, an IM client, and a Microsoft Security Essentials scan simultaneously for several hours with absolutely zero performance problems.

I have run both an MSSE and an Avast scan (separate boots, both in Safe Mode) and found no viruses or malware. I have attempted to eliminate anything new from the startup in msconfig, although I have not been able to identify any services that are starting now that weren't before. I've ran CCleaner in safe mode to delete a great deal of recycling bin material, cache, etc. with no improvement. Fixing registry errors with CCleaner yielded no improvement. My earliest System Restore to approximately a week ago yielded no improvement. Uninstalling Flash 11.2, the latest thing I recall installing, yielded no improvement.

I ran both Windows Memory Diagnostic (two loops, zero errors found) and Memtest86+ (four loops, zero errors found) so I don't believe my RAM is failing.

At this point, I am extremely frustrated and short of backing up my main drive and performing an entire clean Windows install, I do not know what options are left to explore. Since Safe Mode w/ Networking runs perfectly fine, it seems like there should be SOMETHING I can uninstall or roll back or disable to restore functionality, but I cannot identify it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
John Magnum

·
Registered
37 Posts
At first i would say it was ram, and it is HDD hashing., but i dont think that safe mod would affect that. So that makes me think that it would be more application related, or possible a HDD issue. Also please elaborate on whether you did a clean windows install, or made a backup image of your current drive.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Magnum View Post

Hello,
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional on a computer I built myself (Phenom II x4 965 and 12GB RAM), and in the last few days I've been experiencing extreme performance problems. It will take slightly longer to reach the login screen, a few seconds longer than usual to reach the desktop after logging in, and then the real problems start. It takes a VERY long time for this to become responsive, say for me to open the start menu or Pale Moon. Having done so, I can SOMETIMES get several minutes of good performance out of the web browser, but then it freezes up and so does the rest of the computer. This problem is NOT exclusive to Pale Moon; the same thing happens if I open Chrome or attempt to use other programs. Resource Monitor does not show any runaway CPU or RAM use when this occurs.
One annoying property is that I have ZERO PROBLEMS when running in Safe Mode w/ Networking. If I boot into this, I can run Pale Moon with many tabs, Chrome with many tabs, an IM client, and a Microsoft Security Essentials scan simultaneously for several hours with absolutely zero performance problems.
I have run both an MSSE and an Avast scan (separate boots, both in Safe Mode) and found no viruses or malware. I have attempted to eliminate anything new from the startup in msconfig, although I have not been able to identify any services that are starting now that weren't before. I've ran CCleaner in safe mode to delete a great deal of recycling bin material, cache, etc. with no improvement. Fixing registry errors with CCleaner yielded no improvement. My earliest System Restore to approximately a week ago yielded no improvement. Uninstalling Flash 11.2, the latest thing I recall installing, yielded no improvement.
I ran both Windows Memory Diagnostic (two loops, zero errors found) and Memtest86+ (four loops, zero errors found) so I don't believe my RAM is failing.
At this point, I am extremely frustrated and short of backing up my main drive and performing an entire clean Windows install, I do not know what options are left to explore. Since Safe Mode w/ Networking runs perfectly fine, it seems like there should be SOMETHING I can uninstall or roll back or disable to restore functionality, but I cannot identify it.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
John Magnum
If there's no slowness in Safe Mode with Networking then you probably have a startup process or a program in the background that's wreaking havoc in normal mode.

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796 (The first Steps 1 and 2 ONLY.)

Run the computer that way while booting in normal mode and see if the problem still occurs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts