Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I put the PC in my sig together back in 2012 and I haven't swapped any of the components since. It's been a solid setup for a long time but I'm starting to feel like it's time to look into some upgrades. I'm thinking of putting in around $500 into the upgrade unless I can sell current parts and expand that budget. What should I swap out for the best result in terms of performance? Which of my components are showing their age the most? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll paste my specs below.

- fallacy

cpu - i5 3570k -> stock clock speed
motherboard - asrock z77 extreme 4
gpu - asus 670 gtx Direct CUII TOP
ram - 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866
ssd - 128GB Crucial M4
hdd - 1TB Seagate Barracuda
optical drive - LG Super-Multi Drive
cpu cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO -> Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
cooling - 3X Cosair AF140 Quiet Edition
monitor - Asus VS247H-P 23.6inch 1080p
psu - Seasonic X 650W
case - Fractal R4
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
I recommend starting with the video card. I believe everything else is still quite good.

I also recommend overclocking the CPU. You have the cooling and motherboard and memory and PSU for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I recommend starting with the video card. I believe everything else is still quite good.

I also recommend overclocking the CPU. You have the cooling and motherboard and memory and PSU for it.
I havent been keeping up to date with the current gpu news, which cards should I be looking at and is now a good time to buy or is the next iteration of cards around the corner? also what about buying used over new? I've always purchased new thus far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledonny View Post

1. Get a new GPU
2. Overclock your CPU
3. Get 8GB more memory
how does ram compatibility factor into my upgrade options? I doubt that I can just pick up ddr4 2400 ram and drop it into my z77 motherboard..also should I match the same speed/manufacturer as my current 8gb if a grab another 8gb?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post

how does ram compatibility factor into my upgrade options? I doubt that I can just pick up ddr4 2400 ram and drop it into my z77 motherboard..also should I match the same speed/manufacturer as my current 8gb if a grab another 8gb?
You just need a kit that has the same number of DIMMs running the same speed and timings. Brands don't have to match. It has to be DDR3, which should be cheap.

Also, both AMD and Nvidia's next generation of GPUs is a month or two from launching. Your CPU should be fine when overclocked to 4.5Ghz or so.
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post

I havent been keeping up to date with the current gpu news, which cards should I be looking at and is now a good time to buy or is the next iteration of cards around the corner? also what about buying used over new? I've always purchased new thus far.
Buying used is fine as long as you know the seller isn't trying to get rid of a bad card and as long as you know the seller didn't mistreat the card by making vital mistakes while overclocking, and as long as you know the seller never subjected the PSU to being powered by a really crappy PSU.

Since these things are hard to know and prove, it's generally best to buy used parts from the OCN Marketplace and it's generally best to only consider buying from reputable and dedicated members of OCN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post

how does ram compatibility factor into my upgrade options? I doubt that I can just pick up ddr4 2400 ram and drop it into my z77 motherboard..also should I match the same speed/manufacturer as my current 8gb if a grab another 8gb?
You need to make sure of the following:

  1. That the memory is indeed fully compatible with your motherboard. To play it safe, make sure it's on the memory support list: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory
  2. That the new memory has the same rated speed as your current memory
  3. That the new memory has the same rated timings as your current memory
  4. That the new memory has the same rated voltage as your current memory

You should really first assess whether you even need more memory. Regardless, it could be much better to just get a 2 x 8 GB kit and sell your current kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Buying used is fine as long as you know the seller isn't trying to get rid of a bad card and as long as you know the seller didn't mistreat the card by making vital mistakes while overclocking, and as long as you know the seller never subjected the PSU to being powered by a really crappy PSU.

Since these things are hard to know and prove, it's generally best to buy used parts from the OCN Marketplace and it's generally best to only consider buying from reputable and dedicated members of OCN.

You need to make sure of the following:
  1. That the memory is indeed fully compatible with your motherboard. To play it safe, make sure it's on the memory support list: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory
  2. That the new memory has the same rated speed as your current memory
  3. That the new memory has the same rated timings as your current memory
  4. That the new memory has the same rated voltage as your current memory
You should really first assess whether you even need more memory. Regardless, it could be much better to just get a 2 x 8 GB kit and sell your current kit.
should I be looking at something like a 970 gtx for a good price/performance ratio or wait until the next line-up of cards are launched?
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy View Post

should I be looking at something like a 970 gtx for a good price/performance ratio or wait until the next line-up of cards are launched?
I personally don't know. I'm not able to keep up with what's coming down the pipes and when, so I just don't. :)
 

·
Senior OCN Member
Joined
·
39,878 Posts
Computex starts at the end of may / start of june and if AMD and Nvidia are going to show off their cards its going to be there.
I will be selling my GTX 970 cards in the autumn.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top