Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been a wile since i was last on here but im looking to upgrade my sig rig with £450

Was thinking of -
Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB
Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

any one got any suggestions
?

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Looks all good to me! You can sell your previous RAM, CPU, and motherboard to get some of your money back
. To save a few bucks if you want you could go for a 2500k as well, and another motherboard I'd suggest is the Gigabyte Z68-series.

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicamaster3
View Post

Looks all good to me! You can sell your previous RAM, CPU, and motherboard to get some of your money back
. To save a few bucks if you want you could go for a 2500k as well, and another motherboard I'd suggest is the Gigabyte Z68-series.

Thanks .. is there much difference between the 2500k and the 2600k . normaly use pc for gaming and upgrading from a Q6600
?

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
HyperThreading can come in handy for certain games here and there and excellent for folding. But as a cost-cutting measure the 2500k can still keep up with your gaming and overclocks like mad.

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by metallicamaster3
View Post

HyperThreading can come in handy for certain games here and there and excellent for folding. But as a cost-cutting measure the 2500k can still keep up with your gaming and overclocks like mad.

is there much difference between the 2500k and the q6600 then ?

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any more suggestions peoples ?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you don't need on board graphics or SSD caching you could save a little and go with a P67 board instead of Z68. And as stated before 2500k should be sufficient for just gaming.

From all the benches I've seen 2500k/2600k will blow that Q6600 out of the water.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd say go with the 2500K, I've seen many disputes on this forum. Unless you really need the HT, like folding or something like that, just save your cash and go with the 2500K. You get little to low extra performance with HT from gaming. It does help, but its like the GTX 580 vs. HD 6970, one is better then the other... by ~3 FPS.... yay...

In comparison to the Q6600 to the 2500K, stock you do see a bit of performance boost. But why would you leave it at stock when you have a K series, after OC, if you can get it to 5.0GHz, which is really easy I heard with SB, you fly across things like a slip'nslide. Yeah, lame reference... =A=
But overall, you will see a huge performance boost. It helps to get a 6Gb/s drive also.

And if you ever do decide to sell your Q6600, depending on, I'll buy it

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks people .. i will probly get the 2500k then and i don't really fold or render much anymore and with the Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 i heard you can run a SSD to boost a normal hard drive speed (can any one confirm that ?) and was thinking 8gb ram should be a solid build ?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I believe the way SSD caching works, it keeps your most used files cached to the SSD for faster retrieval. I haven't done much research on it though, to me SSD's are still not worth the price. I also don't understand what benefits you would get from SSD caching as opposed to just running your OS and games off of the SSD and using HDD's for storage.

8GB RAM is plenty, can probably still get away with 4GB but nothing wrong with having some extra.

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazed_1
View Post

I believe the way SSD caching works, it keeps your most used files cached to the SSD for faster retrieval. I haven't done much research on it though, to me SSD's are still not worth the price. I also don't understand what benefits you would get from SSD caching as opposed to just running your OS and games off of the SSD and using HDD's for storage.

8GB RAM is plenty, can probably still get away with 4GB but nothing wrong with having some extra.

i had my main Drive a SSD and some games/programs has to be installed to the c drive and pc kept freezing all the time because where wasn't enough room on drive to run windows

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plans are -
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
Intel Core i5 2500K
Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel

any one recommend anything else before i order this
biggrin.gif
?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think you will be happy with that board and cpu. I just got a 2500k and P8P67 PRO and I'm loving it so far. It's so much easier to OC then socket 775.
thumb.gif

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed_1;15226592
I think you will be happy with that board and cpu. I just got a 2500k and P8P67 PRO and I'm loving it so far. It's so much easier to OC then socket 775.
thumb.gif
Yeah
smile.gif
don't think i will need a i7 .. i get on ok with my q6600 in most games so shouldn't have a problem
biggrin.gif
just need to wait for them to get more ram in stock
doh.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts